Show your reviewing skills by collaborating with other forums members to review games of all ages.
wip3outguy7
Next-Gen

Re: Marvel Super Heroes SAT/PS1 Review... which is the best!

by wip3outguy7 Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:25 am

CD AGES wrote:I can't say the PS1 version having considerable slowdown worth mentioning but the game did suffer from copious amounts of animation frame loss and that embarrassing FMV intro.

Here's a great comparison video. The PSX version has some pretty nasty slowdown at times. Watch for it when Sakura does her Dragon Punch in the first round of the video. Edit: Jesus, it's not that hard to see at all. The PSX version chops up during jumping attacks all over the place. Horrible.

Edit #2: I had forgotten that they changed up the arranged themes for the game in Gold. Wow, the arranged themes from Alpha 2 are far superior. The Sakura theme was incredible... that bass line.

CD AGES wrote:Edit:
wip3outguy7 wrote: Saturn from the Toys R' Us across the street for $50 (they were blowing out their stock as the system wasn't selling worth a damn).

I just caught this! Damn, that must have been awesome! Granted i got my first 2 Saturns for free back in early 2000 but still. I gave one of those two to a good friend. Now he simply loves the Saturn.

It was awesome. Hehe, and the story goes on. Oddly enough, a year and a half later I sold the Saturn. I realized my mistake probably a two years after and bought another one used from Funcoland when word of the Action Replay 4 in 1 got out. We played the hell out of Xmen VS SF and Marvel VS SF on that system.

Then one day my co-worker (by then I was working at Radio Shack) tells me he's moonlighting at Wal-Mart and that they are selling off their remaining Saturn stock at $20 a console. That's right: NIB Saturns for $20. I gave the used Funcoland Saturn to my good friend and nabbed a spanking new one from Wal-Mart. That is the Saturn I have today. Almost my entire video game collection has come and gone over the years, but that Saturn has stayed with me.
CD AGES
Next-Gen

by CD AGES Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:37 am

Here's a great comparison video. The PSX version has some pretty nasty slowdown at times.

Umm... Yeah, these comparison videos from this guy are just horrid when 2D fighters are concerned. I can assure you the game does not run that slow on the PSX. Still doesn't change the fact the its the inferior port of the two :lol:

Then one day my co-worker (by then I was working at Radio Shack) tells me he's moonlighting at Wal-Mart and that they are selling off their remaining Saturn stock at $20 a console. That's right: NIB Saturns for $20. I gave the used Funcoland Saturn to my good friend and nabbed a spanking new one from Wal-Mart. That is the Saturn I have today. Almost my entire video game collection has come and gone over the years, but that Saturn has stayed with me.

Now that is an awesome Saturn Story :D

EDIT

Edit #2: I had forgotten that they changed up the arranged themes for the game in Gold. Wow, the arranged themes from Alpha 2 are far superior. The Sakura theme was incredible... that bass line.

Yes Console Version Alpha 2 and Alpha 2 Gold share the same CD arrange soundtrack (of which I simply love Adon's theme as well Gen and Rolento). But I also really like the original CPS2 arcade soundtrack as well, so when Alpha Anthology was released on PS2, I was ecstatic!
CD AGES
Next-Gen

by CD AGES Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:04 pm

I've recalled hearing about how the Saturn version has exclusive frames of animation that cannot be seen in other port of the game (Hawk having a unique retreat animation if memory serves me right). Would you be able to confirm this particular circumstance and provide feedback?

I took it upon myself to find the answer to my question.

(SAT)
Skip to 2:40
http://youtu.be/pr8NEv4SIP8

(DC)
Skip to 0:46
http://youtu.be/09EoLWUtH-o

Goodtimes! :D
wip3outguy7
Next-Gen

by wip3outguy7 Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:11 pm

CD AGES wrote:I took it upon myself to find the answer to my question.

Haha. Reversing the frames. Just like the old SNES. Nice.
CD AGES
Next-Gen

by CD AGES Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:19 pm

Haha. Reversing the frames. Just like the old SNES. Nice.

Yup. What's strange is that it doesn't appear that Capcom was short cutting the Dreamcast version in this respect because if such was the case we wouldn't also be seeing this on Double Upper (PSP) Alpha 3/Alpha 3 upper (Anthology).

It seems like a simple extra for Saturn owners, which is pretty cool.
wip3outguy7
Next-Gen

by wip3outguy7 Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:45 pm

I'm going to fall back on my theory that they were re-using assets from the PSX version somehow.

Maybe the same team was responsible for the PSX and Dreamcast versions while another team put together the Saturn version from the ground up.

I remember reading that the Saturn SFZ3 had been canceled multiple times. It vanished from Capcom's lineup for almost a year until they finally released it considerably later than the other versions. There was little to no notice when it finally did come out. Which is why it remained inexpensive on eBay and the likes for so long. Very few knew it existed. Only recently have people realized its worth and has the price skyrocketed.
CD AGES
Next-Gen

by CD AGES Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:56 pm

I'm going to fall back on my theory that they were re-using assets from the PSX version somehow.

Technically speaking every version uses assets from the PSX version. Hawk, Fei, DJ, Guile, E Ryu and a bunch of backgrounds were all conceived during developement of the PSX version as they did not exist yet on arcade hardware.

It's very possible that the Saturn version was outsourced.

EDIT
Only recently have people realized its worth and has the price skyrocketed

Not to downplay on the significance of the port, but its high value could simply be attributed to the fact that it had a small production run (the smallest of any version available on the dozen or so platforms its was ported to) and the fact that it was what, the 2nd or 3rd final Saturn release?
foxhound1022
Next-Gen

by foxhound1022 Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:11 pm

OK, well how does the PSX version of SSF2T stack up against SSF2 X: FMS on DC?
wip3outguy7
Next-Gen

by wip3outguy7 Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:14 pm

CD AGES wrote:
wip3outguy7 wrote: Only recently have people realized its worth and has the price skyrocketed

Not to downplay on the significance of the port, but its high value could simply be attributed to the fact that it had a small production run (the smallest of any version available on the dozen or so platforms its was ported to) and the fact that it was what, the 2nd or 3rd final Saturn release?

Well, what I meant by worth was a combination of the limited run and that it is a good port.
wip3outguy7
Next-Gen

by wip3outguy7 Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:19 pm

foxhound1022 wrote:OK, well how does the PSX version of SSF2T stack up against SSF2 X: FMS on DC?

Go HERE and scroll to the appropriate section.
Return to Game Reviews