noiseredux vs. Dreamcast ....version 3.0?

Show your reviewing skills by collaborating with other forums members to review games of all ages.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Re: noiseredux vs. Dreamcast

Post by nightrnr »

ninjainspandex wrote:capcom vs snk 2 is probably the greatest fighting game ever made, that game was my teen years haha. I still have that announcers voice burned into my memory "just look at the expressions on their faces!"

Agreed,
although I often find more enjoyment out of the 1st game for some reason. It might be just a bad case of nostalgia.
...that or I really like the stages and BGM better (a real possibility, actually).

I have Capcom vs SNK 2 for PS2, Gamecube, and Xbox;
never felt the need to seek out the DC import.
...just another lost soul...
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

I have Capcom vs SNK 2 for PS2, Gamecube, and Xbox;
never felt the need to seek out the DC import

480p and arcade accuracy are damn good reasons to own the DC port!
I have all 4 versions :mrgreen:
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

@night: Thanks for the great post. Right now I'm using the Total Control adapter (purchased through RB store) so I can use my PS2 fightpad or arcade stick on the DC.

@ninja: Yeah, I definitely think that the Capcom Vs SNK games are way better than the Marvel Vs Capcom games.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

My favorite NeoGeo fighter on the Dreamcast and possibly of all time is Last Blade 2. Unfortunately the US version is pretty heavily censored though with white blood and no cutting people in half. It's a good candidate for importing though the US version is still incredibly fun regardless.
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Post by SamuraiMegas »

Gunstar Green wrote:My favorite NeoGeo fighter on the Dreamcast and possibly of all time is Last Blade 2. Unfortunately the US version is pretty heavily censored though with white blood and no cutting people in half. It's a good candidate for importing though the US version is still incredibly fun regardless.

I might have to have my brother import a dreamcast And shenmue 2 for me since he lives in Germany. I don't think it would be too hard to find a dreamcast with English.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Gunstar Green wrote:My favorite NeoGeo fighter on the Dreamcast and possibly of all time is Last Blade 2. Unfortunately the US version is pretty heavily censored though with white blood and no cutting people in half. It's a good candidate for importing though the US version is still incredibly fun regardless.

The lack of blood and body division only bothers me a little.

What I have a big issue with is that the game is sans CD soundtrack. The CD soundtrack/BGM should be a given since the game is on a flippin' disc.
I might expect the AES versions if both games came together (like a Last Blade collection). But with only the one game, I though we deserved more.

But you're right,
In the end, it's still good fun. Last Blade is like a more sophisticated Samurai Shodown.
...just another lost soul...
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

added a review of NHL 2K.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

nightrnr wrote:

The lack of blood and body division only bothers me a little.

What I have a big issue with is that the game is sans CD soundtrack. The CD soundtrack/BGM should be a given since the game is on a flippin' disc.
I might expect the AES versions if both games came together (like a Last Blade collection). But with only the one game, I though we deserved more.

But you're right,
In the end, it's still good fun. Last Blade is like a more sophisticated Samurai Shodown.

I really love the style of Bakumatsu Roman Dai ni Maku (Last Blade 2) but there are a lot of things about the DC port that really tick me off. Why, oh why--why god, why--did they not include VGA support for this game? If ever there was a game that screamed to be seen in RGB. Also, what the hell is up with not being able to map attack buttons to the 'C' and 'Z' buttons on the arcade stick? I want a four-finger neo-geo layout, damnit.
I wish for everyone to be able to sing this games praises from the rooftops, because it's an incredibly elegant game in a lot of ways, but these little hiccups littered in the port infuriate and enrage me. I can't actually call it better than Mark of the Wolves, even though I like the former better in terms of actual gameplay.

Although, I do like putting the game in just to sit back and play a few rounds of hanafuda where I don't have to remember all of the combinations in koi-koi to know when I've won. (Or lost, since I suppose I'm fallible--technically.)
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

but there are a lot of things about the DC port that really tick me off. Why, oh why--why god, why--did they not include VGA support for this game? If ever there was a game that screamed to be seen in RGB. Also, what the hell is up with not being able to map attack buttons to the 'C' and 'Z' buttons on the arcade stick? I want a four-finger neo-geo layout, damnit.
I wish for everyone to be able to sing this games praises from the rooftops, because it's an incredibly elegant game in a lot of ways, but these little hiccups littered in the port infuriate and enrage me. I can't actually call it better than Mark of the Wolves, even though I like the former better in terms of actual gameplay.

I hear ya man. But to the defense of the DC version, even with few minor gripes (Lack of VGA and full controller config), the port is the best version outside of NEO GEO hardware! I hear the PS2 version released in Japan is utter crap!

If you absolutely gotta play Last Blade 2 on DC with at least VGA support, The guys over at RDC have released the NEO4all version with VGA support :wink:
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

CD AGES wrote:I hear ya man. But to the defense of the DC version, even with few minor gripes (Lack of VGA and full controller config), the port is the best version outside of NEO GEO hardware! I hear the PS2 version released in Japan is utter crap!

If you absolutely gotta play Last Blade 2 on DC with at least VGA support, The guys over at RDC have released the NEO4all version with VGA support :wink:

Yeah, I know. The controller mapping just bothers me SO much. Probably more than the lack of VGA support. I hate seeing little things, that could have been taken care of relatively easily, go uncared for.

The arcade mode was ported very carefully, and it's nice to see the hanafuda and gallery modes added, but the training mode is another place where it feels like they just didn't bother to put even a little extra work in. Probably the one fighting game where I would actually like to spend some time in training mode, and there's no input display; extremely limited options for opponent AI; and while few fighters of the time really had it anyway, no character move lists.
When it comes down to whether I'd rather have this port on the DC or none at all, I would definitely choose to have it, but it's so sad that there wasn't a little bit more attention put into the more subtle points of a very subtly beautiful game.

I guess I need to look into more of these scene releases on the DC, though.