Goldeneye 10 years later

Show your reviewing skills by collaborating with other forums members to review games of all ages.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

nateup, you should join us at Southpaw Legacy:
http://southpawlegacy.com/
The more vocal members are trying to get the controls in all modern games. So far it has only worked a couple of times, but thats better than nothing.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

I think the move to "strafe" on the left is due to mouse look being so common on PCs. In terms of coherence, the current default also makes more sense (one stick just to point, one stick just to move). But it shouldn't really be hard to implement the option you guys want, so why not give it as an option...

Ivo.
Hatta
Next-Gen

Post by Hatta »

I actually just got an N64 and Goldeneye, never having played it back in the day. I like it quite a lot, it's aged well. One thing I'm having trouble with is that you can't assign functions to axes independently. If the thumbstick is set to 'move', only the Y axis actually moves. The X axis looks left and right. It should strafe.

But I'm slowly getting used to it, and having a lot of fun along the way.
Curlypaul
Next-Gen

Post by Curlypaul »

I just got my first N64 and my first taste of Goldeneye just yesterday and I agree its still goon fun. You are right about the controls, I couldnt put my finger on what was odd about them but it is the fact the movement and looking around are split between the stick and the c buttons. Still after 10 minutes or so of messing about I got the hang of circle straffing and aiming. Although I generally dislike auto aiming it does a good job here to get over the lack of precision due to the absence of a mouse.

I really like the sleath aspect of the gameplay because this matches the way I normally play an FPS anyway, and I like how turning up the difficulty doesnt just fill the map with more numerous and more aggresive enemies, adding extra objectives will be more likely to convince me to play the level again.

Nice writeup Fastabilly, although I am sadly unlikely to ever experience the multiplayer myself
s1mplehumar
Next-Gen

Re: Goldeneye 10 years later

Post by s1mplehumar »

Bump of the living dead.

Thanksgiving is right around the corner. What does that mean for me? Goldeneye! My parent's home has been a GE hub since...well, 1997 :) I drag my old Hitachi CRT from the upstairs storage, assemble my four brothers and my childhood friend and we go Goldeneye crazy. Few games burn so brightly in our memories. This Thanksgiving is gonna be a great one.

Great post, billy.

Ps: bring a Gameshark too!
Nintendo ID, PSN, XBL: Eronnicus * Steam ID: s1mplehumar * Switch Friend Code: SW-3270-7921-5525
GazongaJoe
24-bit

Re: Goldeneye 10 years later

Post by GazongaJoe »

To this day I still get tons of enjoyment from this game especially while playing with friends. It's a great pick up and play.
Even the horses are cut in half......