Hyperkin Retron 3 Review

Show your reviewing skills by collaborating with other forums members to review games of all ages.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: Hyperkin Retron 3 Review

Post by samsonlonghair »

Hi Satoshi,
I wanted to ask about a specific problem you didn't mention in your review: I've heard reports that the SNES buttons are mapped wrong if you plug an official SNES controller into the RetroN3. Can you confirm this?
Mendoza
128-bit

Post by Mendoza »

Satoshi_Matrix wrote:Probably not until 2015 when the PS1 patients expire. No CD based system before that has enough of a fan-base for pirates to copy. Also, CD games are non solid state and would require a lot more money to develop. Clone manufacturers hate development costs and cut any corners they can. Finally, people have nostalgia for cartridges much more than they do CDs. I kinda doubt that a clone PS1 would be as popular as the clone NES and SNESes that are out there now.

Also the fact PS1 and 2s are so easily available in great condtion makes a need for a clone system null. SNES and NES systems are not nearly as available to the mass market.

Despite their faults, there is still an audience for cart based clone systems.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

I'm not sure about that Mendoza. I can find Genesi for sale in the wild all the time. On eBay (the ultimate mass market) one can buy a SNES or a Genesis any day of the year.
Satoshi_Matrix
Next-Gen

Post by Satoshi_Matrix »

samsonlonghair wrote:Hi Satoshi,
I wanted to ask about a specific problem you didn't mention in your review: I've heard reports that the SNES buttons are mapped wrong if you plug an official SNES controller into the RetroN3. Can you confirm this?

You heard wrong, it's the included IR wireless controllers that are incorrectly mapped. The controllers feel cheap, are IR (meaning you need to keep the controller within six feet and completely level with the console at all times!) and to top it all off, the controllers are mapped incorrectly.

Real controllers work perfectly. I wouldn't even bother taking the included ones out of the package if you buy a RetroN 3.

Mendoza wrote:
Satoshi_Matrix wrote:Probably not until 2015 when the PS1 patients expire. No CD based system before that has enough of a fan-base for pirates to copy. Also, CD games are non solid state and would require a lot more money to develop. Clone manufacturers hate development costs and cut any corners they can. Finally, people have nostalgia for cartridges much more than they do CDs. I kinda doubt that a clone PS1 would be as popular as the clone NES and SNESes that are out there now.

Also the fact PS1 and 2s are so easily available in great condtion makes a need for a clone system null. SNES and NES systems are not nearly as available to the mass market.

Despite their faults, there is still an audience for cart based clone systems.

Kind of the complete opposite. Cartridge based systems can endure years and cartridge connectors outlast CD lenses. If anything, clone CD systems will prove to be more necessary than cart clones.

Only thing that remains to be seen is if they can be made for next to nothing like the cart systems can.
Mendoza
128-bit

Post by Mendoza »

samsonlonghair wrote:I'm not sure about that Mendoza. I can find Genesi for sale in the wild all the time. On eBay (the ultimate mass market) one can buy a SNES or a Genesis any day of the year.

For the SNES and Gen the reliability isn't an issue, but i cant imagine most people wanting to replace a 72 pin connector on the toaster.

You are right about ebay, but i was talking more about brick and mortar stores and the fact that the PS2 is still being made and sold in most of them.

Back to the Retron, it seems like a pretty good deal overall. The classic game room review for it is pretty good. If you haven't seen it check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmiLoAhYFec
msimplay
64-bit

Post by msimplay »

Satoshi_Matrix wrote:I'm skeptical of if anyone would bother making a mass-market Saturn Clone. PS1 for sure, but Saturn? I don't think there's enough of a fanbase to warrant it, just as how there is not enough of a fanbase to warrant a Sega Master System clone. Now there very well could be (in Brazil) clones of the Master System, but I'm talking about the massive numbers the clone Famicoms are in.

It could work even if it doesn't have the fanbase right now.
Many retrogamers will go back not only to relive the games they played in the past but also those they missed out on.

Most people missed out on the best conversions of SNK and Capcom Fighters plus Sega's inhouse games.
I was a Super Nintendo owner back in the 16bit days so the Sega Saturn won me over based on it's games.
Mendoza
128-bit

Post by Mendoza »

I'd buy one and i have a saturn.

If they could make it with a region switch I think people might buy it, but still not sure it would be marketable to anyone but people on this board.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I'm sure I've said it before, but yr blog is great man.

Out of curiosity did you test Super Game Boy on the SNES or the SMS converter for the Genesis? If either of those worked then you can add compatibility for two more systems technically.
Satoshi_Matrix
Next-Gen

Post by Satoshi_Matrix »

Super Gameboy works without a hitch. Quite literally ONLY SA-1 games don't work. EVERYTHING else runs perfectly. Sega Master System games work with the same compatibility issues on a real Genesis - you'll need to use Master System controllers to play some games while others will not work at all.
Rayban
16-bit

Post by Rayban »

Ok I have a Retron 3 and I'm loving it. I tried to find some info on this but didn't find any: will this play PAL and or Japanese Super Famicom games?
I want to get Dracula X but the American version is much too expensive and the Japanese version is a lot cheaper.
Thank you!

PS I must have Ver 2 of the Retron 3 because it plays the NES game Castlevania 3 just fine.
Last edited by Rayban on Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image10001110101