KeyGlyph's Streams & etcetera

Post game-related video clips here
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: KeyGlyph's Weekly Retro Gaming Stream?!

Post by noiseredux »

Mean Bean Machine rules!
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Post by Key-Glyph »

Whoops, minor plan change: the 7:30 PM UTC stream will be Wednesday; the usual 8:30 EDT stream will be Thursday. It's been reflected in the OP. Double-stream attempt postponed for now!

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

I can only seem to get to the stream when you're already tying things up. I watched the recording of your Contra Hard Corps playthrough--up to the fight with the doctor, at least, since I haven't played either of the 'go after Joe' paths yet. It was really cool to see how you approach things with Brad Fang. Like with the tank in Noiman Cascade's virtual world; I always just stand near the treads and fire away with Browny, but I guess that would probably hit the other characters. I'd just never really thought about that. Also, your level of calm against that bouncing metal ball sub-boss in the Jungle was amazing to me. That thing is probably my most reviled enemy that I've encountered in the game. I hate that thing. The last phase of the boss at the end of the Jungle has some slightly strange damage resistance, I feel. I used to use Browny's Weapon C on it, because it usually deals heavy damage, but I found that if I use his Weapon B instead (it's a pretty rapid fire of spiked balls, that normally boomerang around the screen) that phase is over in about 1/3 of the time. Usually he only gets to fire his laser twice that way, and it's a lot safer, because the spiked balls don't push the body of the boss as much, vertically. I have a feeling it might have a simple damage ceiling across weapons, so rapid fire stuff can end things faster. I only bring this up because I was really surprised by how long that part of the fight was going on for.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who reads the characters' lines out loud while playing--. You do that when you're not on stream, too, right? >_> I certainly don't give all the non-hero characters funny voices, or anything. <_<

I caught a bit of you singing theme songs from Final Fantasy XIII, what was that about? Also, I overheard some chatter about They Might Be Giants, and was reminded of this CD I was given by an English girl I knew long ago. It had Birdhouse In Your Soul on it, and the first time I heard it, I laughed hysterically. It was one of the silliest things I'd ever heard. Have you ever heard of The Bird and the Bee, or I Monster? They sound completely different from They Might Be Giants, but I feel like they have similar objectives in their music writing. The Bird and the Bee's self titled album is magnificent (they also do some mean covers of Hall and Oates), and I Monster's neveroddoreven is like a glorious tribute to vintage B-movie horror.
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Post by Key-Glyph »

Haha, thanks for such a long post, pierrot! And I'm glad you're enjoying watching the archived streams. Thank you for saying that bit about my keeping my cool, but you can see the cool crack a little bit at the end of the Sonic Spinball playthrough, if you're interested. My voice warbles and I flinch at one point when I think I'm about to go down the gutter. :lol:

I've never watched other people play Hard Corps, so I love hearing your thoughts. I do know that Browny is shorter than the other characters, so maybe he doesn't get hit by things because he's essentially in a permanent crouch? And that's fascinating that your battle with the Joe Pod goes so fast. Part of Fang's problem is definitely that his attacks don't seek, so the Pod is kind of continually bouncing away from my firepower. I should probably be going with the upgraded A weapon, which is a spread.

Yes, I do voices on my own sometimes. :lol:

And the singing, that was because someone requested I play that Sunleth FF tune, but I only play 8- and 16-bit track requests during the afterparty. So I said I'd sing it instead.

Birdhouse in Your Soul was released on the Flood album, which also had Particle Man and their cover of Istanbul (Not Constantinople), all of which have had massive staying power for TMBG. I don't think I've heard of either of those other bands! Which albums would you recommend I look into? I'm intrigued.

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Key-Glyph wrote:My voice warbles and I flinch at one point when I think I'm about to go down the gutter. :lol:

:lol: I did watch the Sonic Spinball archive. If that's you losing composure, then I know who I want captaining any mission to Mars I might ever happen to be on.

Key-Glyph wrote:Part of Fang's problem is definitely that his attacks don't seek, so the Pod is kind of continually bouncing away from my firepower. I should probably be going with the upgraded A weapon, which is a spread.

Yeah, the seeking part of Browny's weapon C is one of the main reasons I was so reluctant to switch from it. Also, his weapon B is my least favorite of his weapons to begin with. At the start of the fight, I hang up on the ceiling, and just fire into him for probably almost ten seconds, or however long it takes before he rotates ~240 degrees that first time. Although, I didn't really consider that maybe Fang can't do that (or at least not for as long) because of the height difference.

Key-Glyph wrote:Birdhouse in Your Soul was released on the Flood album, which also had Particle Man and their cover of Istanbul (Not Constantinople), all of which have had massive staying power for TMBG. I don't think I've heard of either of those other bands! Which albums would you recommend I look into? I'm intrigued.

No way! Tiny Toons! That's amazing. That episode, and the one with little Plucky were my favorite episodes of Tiny Toons as a kid. I never realized those were They Might Be Giants jams. I really like the animation that went with Particle Man--something about Triangle Man, and Universe Man always amused me greatly.

For The Bird and the Bee, I'd recommend their first studio album, The Bird and the Bee. I didn't like Rayguns Are Not Just the Future as much, and I didn't even know about their latest album until the other day. Also, if you like Hall and Oates at all, their cover album Interpreting the Masters vol 1 is really good too.

As far as I Monster goes, neveroddoreven is the one I'd recommend. I actually don't really know their other stuff very well, though.
Kingkongkool

Post by Kingkongkool »

I'll have to give it a listen sometime if you're recommending it. Last stream I watcheddar, I fell asleep in my chair. And not because it was late, because it twas boring. :|
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Post by Key-Glyph »

Hey guys, just a heads-up that tonight's regular Thursday stream is postponed until next week due to family illness. But thanks to all of you who are coming out and/or watching my reruns and clips and stuff!

alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Hey, sorry I've missed the last few European-friendly streams. Been busy with wedding planning and stuff, when I could be watching Contra instead. Sad times!
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Post by Key-Glyph »

alienjesus wrote:Hey, sorry I've missed the last few European-friendly streams. Been busy with wedding planning and stuff, when I could be watching Contra instead. Sad times!

Yes. How dare you. :lol:

So as it turns out, it's really difficult for me to decide on a game much before the actual stream day, so I won't be able to tip you guys off as to what's in store... except for next week, because I made a promise. Next week is something Ninja Turtles. And as of right now we'll have a Euro-friendly stream in addition to the regular one!

Speaking of Euro-friendly... can you folks across the pond double-check me on 8:30 PM BST being 3:30 PM EDT? For some reason I thought I was usually streaming at 7:30 PM for you guys up to this point, and I don't think BST has ended yet, so now I'm all confused.

alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Key-Glyph wrote:
alienjesus wrote:Hey, sorry I've missed the last few European-friendly streams. Been busy with wedding planning and stuff, when I could be watching Contra instead. Sad times!

Yes. How dare you. :lol:

So as it turns out, it's really difficult for me to decide on a game much before the actual stream day, so I won't be able to tip you guys off as to what's in store... except for next week, because I made a promise. Next week is something Ninja Turtles. And as of right now we'll have a Euro-friendly stream in addition to the regular one!

Speaking of Euro-friendly... can you folks across the pond double-check me on 8:30 PM BST being 3:30 PM EDT? For some reason I thought I was usually streaming at 7:30 PM for you guys up to this point, and I don't think BST has ended yet, so now I'm all confused.

...Ninja...Turtles...?

What are these Ninjas you speak of? The only turtles I know are Heroes.

BST ends Sunday 28th December at 2am, it's still BST until then.