Post game-related video clips here
User avatar
Ziggy587
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 12273
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Ziggy's Video Thread

by Ziggy587 Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:47 pm

I can't let you have all the fun, Sarge. But thank you for the inspiration!


1. Little Magic (SNES / SFC) Walkthrough: https://youtu.be/oDvmuD67Cxo?list=PLtkv ... Ndwz1db4jB

2. Castlevania (NES) No-Death Run: https://youtu.be/WSPhA1p1cAk

3. Castlevania (NES) Level 1 Strategy (extra lives trick): https://youtu.be/014LTaZa-Kk

4. Super Mario Maker - My Autoplay Level: https://youtu.be/QzpGQb74nlo


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


In regards to video #2:
Played on Wii Virtual Console, because I have yet to mod my NES and I'm sure you guys don't want to watch crappy composite footage.

Things I might try next:

-I might try and do a no-hit run. In this run, I had no damage taken in levels 4 and 5. I took damage on the boss of levels 1 and 2, but they were both just dumb mistakes. I took intentional damage in levels 2 and 3 as part of my strategy, so that can easily be avoided. Level 6 might be a bitch to get through damage free though.

-While recording this video, I was actually going for a deathless second run (hard mode) but I died on level 4. So maybe I'll try for a deathless double run whenever I fail at a no-hit run.

-Or maybe I should try and speed run it? Looks like a rough count of this run is 19:06. I can easily knock off a huge chunk of time simply by not picking up so many candles, waiting around to abuse kill point multipliers, and revealing money bags. I think I can hit around 15 minutes, from the few times I've tried in the past. It's just really hard because of force or habit, I usually go for a high score and not for a low time.

I need to tweak my recording setup a little...
Blinking sprites go invisible in the recording (they look fine on my TV). My Wii is outputting 480p to a Framemeister, which is being upscaled to 1080p. I used an Elgato HD to capture at 720p30 (to keep file size down) so maybe I should just capture at 1080p60 and then change the resolution in post? I'd really like to get a Hi-Def NES or NESRGB board so I can use real hardware, but until then this is the best I can do without using an emulator. I mean, I can capture a real NES via composite at 240p, but I'm not sure if people would enjoy viewing it since we're all so use to seeing YouTube videos of NES footage from emulators or RGB mods.

Another thing though, the video got washed out after uploading it to YouTube. Blacks look grey now. I used the YouTube video editor to darken it up a notch, I'm waiting for the changes to take effect. Kinda lame, but I don't know where I went wrong.
Last edited by Ziggy587 on Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Image
User avatar
Anayo
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2021
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: Zig's Castlevania (NES) No-Death Run

by Anayo Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:12 am

Aw, man! Castlevania has got to be my favorite NES game. The weird thing is, I didn't even grow up with it. I had a second hand NES with Super Mario 3 in 1995, but the first time I played Castlevania was 20 years later on my CFW PSP. I love it to death, though. I'm nowhere close to beating the whole thing without using save states, much less without dying. I've watched about 2 minute of your run before running off to work, but I want to watch the rest when I'm off about 10 hours from now.
User avatar
Sarge
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7215
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:08 pm

Re: Zig's Castlevania (NES) No-Death Run

by Sarge Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:46 am

Great run! I've never come close to a no-death run in this one, but I can consistently beat it now, anyway. :lol:

I also learned a few tricks: picking up the crown in level 2 through the screen transition, the fact that you could stand on the axe knights while they were in stun-lock, and that last bit of meat in the wall in level 6.

As far as recording, I'm not sure how I'd handle it. My only videos were done with the AVI recording feature in FCEUX, and I take the 256x240 and bump up the resolution to 768x720 with 256-pixel padding on the edges using ffmpeg. I'm still trying to learn the sweet spot in recording quality and file sizes, though. Your video is much sharper than mine have turned out.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older. Now with a modern gaming section!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
User avatar
Ziggy587
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 12273
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Zig's Castlevania (NES) No-Death Run

by Ziggy587 Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:48 am

Anayo wrote:Aw, man! Castlevania has got to be my favorite NES game. The weird thing is, I didn't even grow up with it. I had a second hand NES with Super Mario 3 in 1995, but the first time I played Castlevania was 20 years later on my CFW PSP. I love it to death, though. I'm nowhere close to beating the whole thing without using save states, much less without dying. I've watched about 2 minute of your run before running off to work, but I want to watch the rest when I'm off about 10 hours from now.


The first CV game I played was 4, so the difficulty of the first game gave me much grief at first. I finally made it to the boss of level 4 and thought that was as far as I would ever get in the game. I put it down for many years. Then, my friend and I started to play it full steam and developed strategies for it. It's definitely my favorite NES game, and it's one of my top favorite games of all time.

Sarge wrote:Great run! I've never come close to a no-death run in this one, but I can consistently beat it now, anyway. :lol:


Thanks! After getting to the point where beating it is no big deal, it's not a big leap at all to doing a no-death run.

Sarge wrote:I also learned a few tricks: picking up the crown in level 2 through the screen transition, the fact that you could stand on the axe knights while they were in stun-lock, and that last bit of meat in the wall in level 6.


I'm proud to have found that crown trick. I posted about it here, along with the invincibility door glitch that I found.

As for the meat in level 6, that has always been part of my strategy for clearing that room. I go for the meat even if I haven't taken a hit yet, on the assumption that I WILL take a hit before collecting it.

I didn't bother to get every secret. This video does a good job at showing all of them. Not widely known is that the second round adds more secrets.

Usually when I play the game I like to go for a high score, but I skipped a bunch of things I usually do so the video would be shorter. Though I think I might record my extra life trick for level 1 and post it.

Sarge wrote:As far as recording, I'm not sure how I'd handle it. My only videos were done with the AVI recording feature in FCEUX, and I take the 256x240 and bump up the resolution to 768x720 with 256-pixel padding on the edges using ffmpeg. I'm still trying to learn the sweet spot in recording quality and file sizes, though. Your video is much sharper than mine have turned out.


That's how I did the Little Magic Walkthrough videos, I just used a SNES emulator to record 240p AVI. Your Contra video looks just fine though.
Image
User avatar
Sarge
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7215
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:08 pm

Re: Zig's Castlevania (NES) No-Death Run

by Sarge Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:54 am

I want pixel edges so sharp that they'll make you bleed, though! ;)
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older. Now with a modern gaming section!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
User avatar
Anayo
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2021
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: Zig's Castlevania (NES) No-Death Run

by Anayo Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:04 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:
Anayo wrote:Aw, man! Castlevania has got to be my favorite NES game. The weird thing is, I didn't even grow up with it. I had a second hand NES with Super Mario 3 in 1995, but the first time I played Castlevania was 20 years later on my CFW PSP. I love it to death, though. I'm nowhere close to beating the whole thing without using save states, much less without dying. I've watched about 2 minute of your run before running off to work, but I want to watch the rest when I'm off about 10 hours from now.


The first CV game I played was 4, so the difficulty of the first game gave me much grief at first. I finally made it to the boss of level 4 and thought that was as far as I would ever get in the game. I put it down for many years. Then, my friend and I started to play it full steam and developed strategies for it. It's definitely my favorite NES game, and it's one of my top favorite games of all time.


I missed out on the series in its heyday and wanted to catch up. So, my first was:

1. Castlevania 1
2. Castlevania 3 (need to come back to it; I just puddered around a few levels and didn't get very far)
3. Castlevania Bloodlines
4. Castlevania IV
5. Castlevania Rondo of Blood
6. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (I got stuck on the inverted castle)

Was the objective of your video to try and measure your speedrun time, or just to get through it without any deaths?
User avatar
Ziggy587
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 12273
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Zig's Castlevania (NES) No-Death Run

by Ziggy587 Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:47 pm

Anayo wrote:Was the objective of your video to try and measure your speedrun time, or just to get through it without any deaths?


Just to get through without any deaths.

Anayo wrote:So, my first was:


Yep, those are the six best CV games. :D
Image
User avatar
marurun
Moderator
 
Posts: 9427
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 8:51 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Zig's Castlevania (NES) No-Death Run

by marurun Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:25 pm

I dunno. I like 2 as much, if not more, than Bloodlines.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
User avatar
Sarge
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7215
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:08 pm

Re: Zig's Castlevania (NES) No-Death Run

by Sarge Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:32 pm

Simon's Quest used to be my favorite of the NES games. I'm not sure it is anymore, but I love RPG and exploration elements, so that definitely brought up my opinion at the time. I can appreciate more linear experiences now, though. I think the original is probably the best of the NES games now, with just the right amount of brevity and tight challenge.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older. Now with a modern gaming section!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
User avatar
Ziggy587
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 12273
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Zig's Castlevania (NES) No-Death Run

by Ziggy587 Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:03 pm

Castlevania (NES) Level 1 Strategy (extra lives trick): https://youtu.be/014LTaZa-Kk

Back when I sucked hard at this game, my friend and I came up with this trick to score some extra lives for later levels. This is how I typically play the first level, being that I usually go for a high score over a low time.

Sarge wrote:Simon's Quest used to be my favorite of the NES games. I'm not sure it is anymore, but I love RPG and exploration elements, so that definitely brought up my opinion at the time. I can appreciate more linear experiences now, though. I think the original is probably the best of the NES games now, with just the right amount of brevity and tight challenge.


I love Simon's Quest, I just really hate that you can't figure out what to do without a guide. I really like this hack. It adds an in-game map, cleans up the poor translation, and allows for save files because fuck those passwords.
Image
Return to Videos

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest