Sarge's Video Thread

Post game-related video clips here
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: Contra No-Death Run

Post by Sarge »

Super C, no continues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkXiKKQdo4A

(Also, is there a way to change the name of the thread? It might be better for this to be a general-purpose thread for when I post stuff.)
Never mind, got it.
Last edited by Sarge on Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Think you can by editing your first post.

EDIT: beat me to it lol

I don't know Super C very well at all so this should be a fun watch.
Last edited by Xeogred on Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Xeogred wrote:Think you can by editing your first post.

Yep, figured that out right when you posted. :)
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Sarge's Video Thread

Post by Exhuminator »

The fact that you make these games look easy speaks volumes of your skill.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I should post the other terrible runs so you can see it's all a process. :lol:

No, I really appreciate it, I'm relatively skilled, but the real help is the memorization, and these are short enough games to make repeated runs pretty easy. Where things really get dicey is when things go off-script. Especially in a run where I'm not holding myself to a single life, losing your best weapon can really make things snowball. I lost the Spreader at the wrong time in stage 4, for sure. I've also got a recording that has me take down the stage 5 boss with the regular shot without dying, and that is rough. :P
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Memorization is a big part of it, I agree. But there's still reflexive timing in play, and that part requires legit skill. Especially at our age. :wink:
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Aw, man, you just had to go remind me of that. :P :roll:

So... maybe I should start working on a legit run of the other Contra games before my skills atrophy? ;)
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Sarge wrote:So... maybe I should start working on a legit run of the other Contra games before my skills atrophy? ;)

If you can no death run the USA version of Contra: Hard Corps, you will have ascended human form and become a deity.

I think back around 1993, I no death ran Contra III - The Alien Wars. Memory's a little hazy on that one, but it's my favorite Contra, and I played it so much I'm pretty sure I pulled it off.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Dang. That's seriously impressive. I can beat Contra III on Normal, but never have been able to do a Hard mode run. I also haven't practiced it as much as the NES Contra games. Something about those really speaks to me. They're the perfect run-and-guns in my book.

The US version of Hard Corps is brutal. There are elements that I think I could duplicate, though, from some runs I've watched. Just a matter of making sure my blood pressure is low and my mind is prepared. 8) :lol:
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Mega Man 2, tankless, Buster-only.

https://youtu.be/PMmRBrXCtYQ

Not a spectacular run by any stretch. It's my first time attempting it, honestly. I even have a couple of game overs in there. Eww. And the last segment actually took three tries to get right (Boobeam, mostly) with anything resembling an interesting segment. (Seriously, the others saw a few game overs and lots of grinding for Crash Bombs. Not very interesting.)

I've learned a lot from the process, though, including a few better ways to take down the bosses Buster-only, so one day, I may try it again. Still, I probably should have just done Buster-only, and not throw in the tankless part. On the bright side, I totally know the trick for the Wily Machine now!

I have another recorded that is a two-death run, purely from laziness on my part not using my E-Tanks. Might upload it eventually, or I might go for a no-death, although that's nothing compared to the folks that do no-damage runs!