Post game-related video clips here
8bit
Next-Gen

Re: HOW TO Catalog Your Games

by 8bit Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:50 pm

I use an Excel spreadsheet that is backed up locally, icloud and google docs. It's not perfect but it was free and simple enough to setup when I got started with around 900 titles.

Image[

As you can see above, the spreadsheet is divided with different 'sheets' for Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, Other Systems, Totals, and Wanted lists. Each console has its own column and is alphabetized. The Totals page I use to sum up the total number of items in each list, the estimated value of each lot, and then a final total for those things put together. The wanted list is where I keep my master list of wanted items for each system.
Last edited by 8bit on Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

by retrosportsgamer Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:56 pm

I use Collectorz and very much recommend it. The app for your phone is a must too. Very easy to use and synch.
winds
128-bit

by winds Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:21 pm

Another great video Metal Jesus! This came at perfect timing too as i'm just about to move and while packing up my games i'm considering finally getting down to cataloging my collection. This video definitely helped me.

Metal Jesus wrote:I'm not sure I understand the aversion to paying for software that somebody uses a lot. Especially if it is of high quality and costs less than one used game.

While I agree, I generally don't like the idea of paying for an on-going subscription based service, especially for game cataloging. If it was a one time fee i'd most probably pay it and get the most out of the software.

Also there's the notion that what if you miss a payment one year? Is your collection DB suddenly erased from their system and you have to start all over? What if the website/company goes down in a few years? Can you still use the app offline and catalogue that way?

Either a one time fee for me, or completely free. That's why I decided RFgeneration is the way to go for me. I would use the delicious library one you are using, but sadly my mac laptop is quite old now and generally useless. My PC is Windows 7.
Nintendoes what Nintendon't!

Tangerine Orange Key: 42915767S1
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

by retrosportsgamer Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:29 pm

^ To my knowledge, you are not eligible for software updates if you do not do the monthly subscription. I'm not sure about online access as I fully purchased the prior version. I don't pay for the updates now (they did upgrade me for free to the new platform). I have no issue synching online or to other devices.
MyNameIsVince
64-bit

by MyNameIsVince Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:07 pm

I'm probably the only person on here that uses it, but I use Microsoft Works Database to log all my games. The games are arranged by console, and at the moment, whatever import games I have, I have them cataloged with the NA system equivalent (I have Super Famicom games listed under SNES games because I don't have enough to warrant it's own category, yet).

I actually have two Works Database files. One for all the video games I currently own, and another for all the video games I actually want.

But there is a chance I may use one of the mentioned methods above.
Fragems
Next-Gen

by Fragems Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:51 pm

Need to catalog my collection again :P had everything listed on RFgen a year or so back but kind of stopped updating when they were having server issues :P .

At least I got everything sorted out by system a few weeks back so it shouldn't be to hard cataloging them again.

Edit:
Just deleted the old list to get a fresh start was at 1819 games probably a little over 2000 now.
Last edited by Fragems on Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

by Cronozilla Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:52 pm

Currently, I use flat text files. Because, if I have to type out every game ... it might as well just be a list.

I would like something to catalog it, but to get all the features I would use it would require multiple services. It's one of the reasons I've seriously considered building my own software for a couple years.

It's entirely silly that VGCollect isn't parsing the title to match against search queries. You always strip out punctuation.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:12 pm

RF Generation does a good job with all the variations of a particular game, right down to the number of screws it might have on an NES game :lol:
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:18 pm

I currently use nothing, but if I were to start cataloging my games I would just use spreadsheets. I'm glad that you've mentioned that in the video. A spreadsheet might not be the most flashy thing in the world compared to some of those sites, but you can custom tailor it to exactly what you need. That makes it, in my mind, by far more functional than anything else. And you can input data into a spreadsheet faster, which means a lot for any one with hundreds of games.

For any one without MS Office, there's Open Office which is a free alternative.
Duke.Togo
128-bit

by Duke.Togo Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:18 pm

RF Generation has been my choice for a long time now. Good community, excellent database, and the ability to submit info makes it a winner.
Return to Videos