Backlog Roulette - Playing Doom Series(Ultimate Doom)

Post game-related video clips here

Which Game Should I Play Next

Poll ended at Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:33 pm

Doom Series
50%
Pariah
10%
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Series
30%
Condemned Series
10%

Total votes: 10

SpoonyBard
128-bit

Re: Backlog Roulette

Post by SpoonyBard »

noiseredux wrote:you know you could just use the "pick a random game" tool on RFGen too, right?

I'm convinced that this feature is actually "pick a random game out of the worst 10% of my collection". Every time i'm thinking of a game to play, I usually use that. Several times. Then I give up and play Street Fighter.

Also, I voted Stalker. Because it's great and definitely worth playing.
Fragems
Next-Gen

Re: Backlog Roulette - Vote on What I Play/Review Next

Post by Fragems »

Still a few hours left until the poll closes Doom has maintained a solid lead but S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has started picking up some votes.
Fragems
Next-Gen

Re: Backlog Roulette - Vote on What I Play/Review Next

Post by Fragems »

Just finished Ultimate Doom Episode 2 The Shores of Hell. Damn was that ever a pain in the butt. Hadn't had to use saves up until Section 2 at which point I began thoroughly hating myself after losing everything to a cheap trap. That level is definitely the hardest level yet and facing it with only 50 pistol bullets at the start was a nightmare.

Ended up taking me 2 hours probably an hour of which was level 2 to complete the episode :lol: .

Anyways Episode 2 really started to blow for me they had some cool new traps and enemies tossed in but after a while things just started feeling cheap as hell :P. They seemed to be obsessed with traps. I felt like every button/door was a trap and 70-80% of the time they were. The worst trap had to be the falling ceilings I was killed instantly so many times by these things they were cool at first but after I while I really started to hate how frequently they showed up. Plus they used a lot of Lava/Acid floors which were unavoidable and really leached your health over time especially if you got lost and had to back track. It got to the point that I probably saved 10+ times every zone.

Will post up the videos later and maybe stream Doom Episode 3 when I play tonight.
Fragems
Next-Gen

Re: Backlog Roulette - Playing Doom Series(Ultimate Doom)

Post by Fragems »

Streaming Ultimate Doom Episode 3 if anyone wants to watch some demons kick my ass :lol: .

http://www.twitch.tv/fragems001
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

You should have looked into a Doom source port, rather than Dosbox. They tend to have a bevy of options such as mouselook, jumping (which is a major gameplay change), and whether you want to still use sprites for the enemies.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

I'm actually playing it on Xbox. Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 were included on the Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil disc.

Dos Box was giving me fits with my steam copy and I didn't really feel like playing a modified version.

Anyways finished episode 3 so I just have one more episode to go before I finish Ultimate Doom.

Inferno didn't really impress me to much it definitely feels like the weakest episode so far. Maps felt poorly designed making it really easy to get lost. Think the biggest problem was the majority of the maps involved a lot of back tracking and had a circular design. You could easily spend 30 minutes to an hour just looking for a single door :P. The finale wasn't to impressive either the boss felt extremely cheap. You couldn't even see his projectiles and death was almost immediate if he caught you in the open. In the end I had to exploit his huge body and shoot him from behind cover as he tried to maneuver his way around the central building on the map.

Loved the extra bit after the end though :lol: .

Poor Mr.Rabbit
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

Finally finished Ultimate Doom. Man I have to say Episode 4 was just plain sadistic especially the first two levels. Hardly any ammo to be had and massive swarms of enemies right as you spawn. The level design sucked as well there were a ton of annoying lava puzzles and they had a thing for putting the big bosses in areas that were way to small. Due to the lack of ammo at the start I had to basically speed run the first few levels dodging enemies rather then wasting my ammo on them, and with the final two levels I ended up having to exploit the poor level design to kill the bigger bosses because a straight forward fight was out of the question since there was no room and usually a butt load of smaller enemies to deal with :P.

The final boss the spider brain demon was actually easy though apparently they didn't take into account that he can't aim up very well and decided to put in some raised rooms right above him. After getting up there and clearing out the small horde of enemies that had been occupying the space I was able to slightly peek my head out the window and rain lead on him while he made futile attempts to shoot rockets through the floor. Was kind of surprised that he went down after only 20-30 shotgun rounds felt like I wasted 50+ rockets on him in Episode 3 before he finally went to pieces.

Will pop up a video review in a day or two and hopefully start up Doom 2 around Saturday.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Fun Doom fact: rockets aren't that good against the boss monsters because they don't take splash damage; only the actual impact of the rocket itself does damage, and the splash is where the majority of the damage is dealt.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

MrPopo wrote:Fun Doom fact: rockets aren't that good against the boss monsters because they don't take splash damage; only the actual impact of the rocket itself does damage, and the splash is where the majority of the damage is dealt.

Any tips for Doom 2 or Final Doom. Final Doom kind of scares me at the moment sounds like in terms of difficulty it might be the hardest game in the series.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

oremoR nhoJ ,em llik tsum uoy ,emag eht niw oT

shoot it in the brain

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about Final Doom. It's basically two licensed PWADs by a 3rd party team. It's hard, but not as good as the actual games. The Plutonia Experiment is the better of the two. I'd actually suggest saving those for later and moving on to other games.