The Sharp X68000

Post game-related video clips here
Redifer
128-bit

The Sharp X68000

Post by Redifer »

We take a good look at the Japan-exclusive Sharp X68000 and many of the cool games it plays.

So what do YOU think of the X68000?
pierrot
Next-Gen

Re: The Sharp X68000

Post by pierrot »

Redifer wrote:So what do YOU think of the X68000?

'Sjust the holy grail. No big deal.
Frag Mortuus
Next-Gen

Post by Frag Mortuus »

I'd never heard of it until just now. But watched some Youtube videos on it and it looks pretty cool. Are they hard to come by?
noiseredux wrote:Frag Mortuus rules.

Sell/Trade/Want List
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

As I posted in the dedicated Game Sack thread I'd really love to play Aquales. I really like those 16-bit mech games like Target Earth and Cybernator and even the Korean PC game Iron Blood/Interrupt.

Frag Mortuus wrote:I'd never heard of it until just now. But watched some Youtube videos on it and it looks pretty cool. Are they hard to come by?

It was only released in Japan and it's not that common in Japan so it'll run you quite a bit.
Last edited by Gunstar Green on Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Fantastic machine. A 16-bit legend. The RPG library is amazing. Too bad the system is so hard to find + expensive. I doubt I'll ever own one.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Fantastic machine. A 16-bit legend. The RPG library is amazing.

I've always wanted one for the arcade ports, mostly, but there are a ton of RPGs that interest me for it too, like After Armageddon. I have After Armageddon Gaiden for the Mega CD, but the original on the X68000 is on something like eight floppy disks, and I can only imagine looks a whole lot better than Gaiden.

Good stuff, sacks. When can we expect videos on the FM Towns and PC-88/98?
Ghegs
64-bit

Post by Ghegs »

Now that was a good episode, there's not a whole lot of coverage of the Japanese computers of that era available in English. I would've liked to see some footage of the OS...I'm assuming it has an OS, anyway, since it's a computer. Or do the games work by just putting the disks in and booting the system up?
floattube
24-bit

Post by floattube »

Great episode as always. That Thunderforce segment had me cracking up, I guess I just wasn't expecting that lol. Keep it up!
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Good one Red. You and your man put great production value into your videos. I especially like the stop motion part here.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

pierrot wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:Fantastic machine. A 16-bit legend. The RPG library is amazing.

I've always wanted one for the arcade ports, mostly, but there are a ton of RPGs that interest me for it too, like After Armageddon.

Wait, isn't the X68000 game called Last Armageddon or am I thinking of something else altogether?

As far as other RPGs go the X68000 also has all four Dragon Knight games, Dragon Slayer: Eiyuu Densetsu, Emerald Dragon, Lagoon, Laplace no Ma, Xak I & II, Ys I/II/III, and tons more that I'm either forgetting or haven't heard of. Between the RPGs and arcade ports I'd say the X68000 probably the best of the 16-bit computers, I'd even rank it higher than the Amiga.