Post game-related video clips here
crunchywhale

Re: Possibly the most dangerous job in gaming!

by crunchywhale Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:52 pm

Luke wrote:
crunchywhale wrote:
I was actually about to ask for some advice . I've only made about 15 of these videos so I'm barely getting my feet wet. Nathan Barnatt is the one who recommended this site for retro gamers so I figured I'd start here.

Fixed.

Nathan is a righteous dude who has not only helped traffic at Racketboy, but he's also helped tremendously in the RB Charity Auctions. On top of that, he's a genuinely nice guy that bends over backwards (sometimes in the literal sense) for his friends and fellow gamers.

As oppy-pocky pointed out, I am a tad bit of a critic (or jerk as he calls me) which I am more than fine with. It's easy to know where you stand on this board, which is a great thing.

It's difficult at times for me to give constructive criticism on a topic that has been discussed for years upon years. Watching someone else play a video game is a waste of time, and will continue to be until someone does something new with the format. Playing the game will always be more fun than watching someone else play it.

It's not easy, and it shouldn't be. There are some great video game plays and reviews on Youtube by people who put actual work into their production (not saying you don't, but it doesn't show), but they are far and few between. It's all so generic that video game "reviews" or "plays" are all almost garbage.

Do something different. Think. Make a video worth watching.

That is what it boils down to. There is an open seat for someone to be the "Roger Ebert" or even "Roger Rabbit" of video game discussion. So far we haven't even reached LeBetard status.

Thanks for this. My passion is gaming and I love retro games. I want to do something awesome with them. I will think very hard for an original or at least semi-original idea.
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:53 pm

o.pwuaioc wrote:
Luke wrote:As oppy-pocky pointed out, I am a tad bit of a critic (or jerk as he calls me) which I am more than fine with. It's easy to know where you stand on this board, which is a great thing.

Lukey baby, don't be a jerk and then not own up to it. There's nothing wrong with being one, well, sometimes, that is. ;)

You just call me a Jerk because you hate my cans.
crunchywhale

by crunchywhale Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:56 pm

Luke wrote:
o.pwuaioc wrote:
Luke wrote:As oppy-pocky pointed out, I am a tad bit of a critic (or jerk as he calls me) which I am more than fine with. It's easy to know where you stand on this board, which is a great thing.

Lukey baby, don't be a jerk and then not own up to it. There's nothing wrong with being one, well, sometimes, that is. ;)

That's good for me though. i need a harsh critic to tell me when I suck. No one has done that yet so I just kept doing what I was doing. Now I know who to talk to when I need to find out if a video I made was any good.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:17 pm

Luke wrote:
o.pwuaioc wrote:

Totally forgot about this movie. It's going on the list of 80s movies my wife needs to watch.
Zing
Next-Gen

by Zing Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:42 pm

I loved Paperboy in the arcade. This game you are playing looks rather poor. I enjoyed watching the video, but I don't think I would make a habit of watching other people play games.

One thing that bothers me is that the sound is about half a second before the video. I do commend you on correcting yourself from saying "good" to "well".
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:55 pm

To bounce off of what's already been discussed:

My advice is if you're going to make videos about games, you need to do some thinking about what would make an interesting and original video because you're entering a very crowded place. I also pretty strongly feel that instead of attempting to be off the cuff, sit down and do some writing. A lot of the best "Let's Plays" out there are rehearsed even if they don't seem like it.

Anybody can sit in front of a game and record it while joking about it, some of the most popular of them are really entertaining, but the vast majority of them are not.

The success of spontaneous humor requires equal parts luck and personality. Unless you're a really legitimately funny person (and an excellent editor who knows how to maximize the laughs in your content) you'll just be like the hundreds if not thousands of other Youtube users who produce the same empty calorie content.

I understand as a writer that effective comedy is really, really difficult. This is why most people do the random "Let's Play" thing, but if you use it as a crutch you're not really going to improve much. Like anything else there's a science to it and it's a skill that takes practice to develop. I haven't watched your other videos so I'm not sure if they're all trying to be funny or not, I'm just going off the Paperboy one.

The most important thing is whether or not you're having fun making the videos so don't be discouraged by this feedback. I do think the video itself and the editing is at least better than a lot of similar random Youtube content and I'm sure there are a lot of people get a kick out of it as-is. Keep at it!
crunchywhale

by crunchywhale Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:18 am

I'm happy to report that I will be trying something new. When I finish with It I'd like your guys feedback on what you think. I will be posting the video on this forum when I complete it. Again thanks for the advice and time. :) Video will take some time to complete FYI.
Return to Videos