Possibly the most dangerous job in gaming!

Post game-related video clips here
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Possibly the most dangerous job in gaming!

Post by noiseredux »

AppleQueso wrote:I'm not gonna say anything about the vid itself as I kinda feel bad for the dude getting piled on,

You probably feel bad because piling on a dude for posting a video isn't really the kind of community we are. C'mon guys. If you have nothing nice to say, don't say it. If you think his video is bad, "just don't look." But the trashing does nothing but make our forum look like jerks that we're not.

but I do want to say that I don't think bad let's plays have anything to do with Youtube's contentID bot going into overdrive.

Apple nailed it. If you go back to that thread originally about the contentID fiasco, there's a good article I linked that explained everything. And none of it was caused because of bad "reviews."
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

Noise, there is nothing wrong with calling a turd sandwich a turd sandwich.

Yes, we have a great community. Yes some people post idiotic crap. Yes it is okay to call them out on it.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

noiseredux wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:I'm not gonna say anything about the vid itself as I kinda feel bad for the dude getting piled on,

You probably feel bad because piling on a dude for posting a video isn't really the kind of community we are. C'mon guys. If you have nothing nice to say, don't say it. If you think his video is bad, "just don't look." But the trashing does nothing but make our forum look like jerks that we're not.

but I do want to say that I don't think bad let's plays have anything to do with Youtube's contentID bot going into overdrive.

Apple nailed it. If you go back to that thread originally about the contentID fiasco, there's a good article I linked that explained everything. And none of it was caused because of bad "reviews."

While agreed about the latter, I'm not so sure about the former. I mean, we all know Luke is a jerk, and he self-admits it, but obviously OP is posting a video to advertise it, and in doing so, in making it public, he's opening himself up to criticism. It's fair game to say "I think the video is shit, and all videos like it are shit." You're right though that this has nothing to do with the Youtube policy change, or if so, then very little.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

the forum rules disagree with you though:

A. Overall Community Goals
Remember, we are here to have fun and help expand our interests in retro gaming.
Our purpose is to share, help and support others
The guidelines below are made to protect these goals

B. Overall Community Attitude
Always display a positive, friendly attitude
Be respectful of others' opinions

I agree that feedback is invited, and as such could be negative. But that would be more "maybe get a tripod and better mic," "you might want to edit it this way instead of that," etc. and not so much "this is shit" or "you are the reason for Youtube content-filtering bots." There's definitely a difference.
crunchywhale

Post by crunchywhale »

noiseredux wrote:the forum rules disagree with you though:

A. Overall Community Goals
Remember, we are here to have fun and help expand our interests in retro gaming.
Our purpose is to share, help and support others
The guidelines below are made to protect these goals

B. Overall Community Attitude
Always display a positive, friendly attitude
Be respectful of others' opinions

I agree that feedback is invited, and as such could be negative. But that would be more "maybe get a tripod and better mic," "you might want to edit it this way instead of that," etc. and not so much "this is shit" or "you are the reason for Youtube content-filtering bots." There's definitely a difference.

I was actually about to ask for some advice . I've only made about 15 of these videos so I'm barely getting my feet wet. Nathan Barnett is the one who recommended this site for retro gamers so I figured I'd start here.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Yeah, I agree with Noise that people are being overly harsh and antagonistic here.

Your video doesn't do much for me I'm afraid. Unlike others, I have 0 problem with just watching people play a game. I occasionally live stream myself.

I do think the constant swearing thing is played out though. I also don't find comments like 'I'm being raped' to be particularly funny. There's no denying there seems to be an audience for that kind of thing out there, but the thing is that so many people have been doing it so long that getting noticed doing that is going to be tricky.

I'd recommend finding some sort of niche or gimmick that makes your videos unique - preferably related to the games themselves or the format of your show as skits are played out and often unfunny too.

I also recommend thinking about if you want to record live play like in this video or if you want to record audio for it afterwards - it can be easier to be entertaining when you dont have to do it on the spot.

Good luck with these in future, I hope my criticism seems a bit more fair than some of the others.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

I was obviously exaggerating on the "this is shit" line, but all I meant to say is that it's never before been wrong to say "I don't like this kind of stuff." Should you say it like Luke? Nah, especially not to newcomers, but Luke is just the extreme example of what should be tolerated, i.e. negative criticism.
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

crunchywhale wrote:
I was actually about to ask for some advice . I've only made about 15 of these videos so I'm barely getting my feet wet. Nathan Barnatt is the one who recommended this site for retro gamers so I figured I'd start here.

Fixed.

Nathan is a righteous dude who has not only helped traffic at Racketboy, but he's also helped tremendously in the RB Charity Auctions. On top of that, he's a genuinely nice guy that bends over backwards (sometimes in the literal sense) for his friends and fellow gamers.

As oppy-pocky pointed out, I am a tad bit of a critic (or jerk as he calls me) which I am more than fine with. It's easy to know where you stand on this board, which is a great thing.

It's difficult at times for me to give constructive criticism on a topic that has been discussed for years upon years. Watching someone else play a video game is a waste of time, and will continue to be until someone does something new with the format. Playing the game will always be more fun than watching someone else play it.

It's not easy, and it shouldn't be. There are some great video game plays and reviews on Youtube by people who put actual work into their production (not saying you don't, but it doesn't show), but they are far and few between. It's all so generic that video game "reviews" or "plays" are all almost garbage.

Do something different. Think. Make a video worth watching.

That is what it boils down to. There is an open seat for someone to be the "Roger Ebert" or even "Roger Rabbit" of video game discussion. So far we haven't even reached LeBetard status.
Last edited by Luke on Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Luke wrote:As oppy-pocky pointed out, I am a tad bit of a critic (or jerk as he calls me) which I am more than fine with. It's easy to know where you stand on this board, which is a great thing.

Lukey baby, don't be a jerk and then not own up to it. There's nothing wrong with being one, well, sometimes, that is. ;)
crunchywhale

Post by crunchywhale »

alienjesus wrote:Yeah, I agree with Noise that people are being overly harsh and antagonistic here.

Your video doesn't do much for me I'm afraid. Unlike others, I have 0 problem with just watching people play a game. I occasionally live stream myself.

I do think the constant swearing thing is played out though. I also don't find comments like 'I'm being raped' to be particularly funny. There's no denying there seems to be an audience for that kind of thing out there, but the thing is that so many people have been doing it so long that getting noticed doing that is going to be tricky.

I'd recommend finding some sort of niche or gimmick that makes your videos unique - preferably related to the games themselves or the format of your show as skits are played out and often unfunny too.

I also recommend thinking about if you want to record live play like in this video or if you want to record audio for it afterwards - it can be easier to be entertaining when you dont have to do it on the spot.

Good luck with these in future, I hope my criticism seems a bit more fair than some of the others.

It does help. The swearing is actually unintentional. My friends and I just have a bad habit of doing it. I do notice that if one of my friends is playing game and I'm watching, I have more constructive things to say about it. The post audio commentary might be a good idea so we have better things to say. That's some things to think about. Thanks.