Post game-related video clips here
Redifer
128-bit

Game Sack - Sports Videogames!

by Redifer Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:04 am

I'm amazed you even opened this thread! Most gamers just shun the topic, thinking that sports games aren't real videogames. Anyway, as your reward we grant you a 30 minute episode about sports videogames:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE7HSzQQouc

Let us know what some of your favorite sports videogames are just in case we dare cover this subject again. Tell us what you'd like to see!
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Re: Game Sack - Sports Videogames!

by TEKTORO Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:48 am

What can I say I cant get enough of you guys!

Good job on this episode, like how you covered the topic in general, the good, bad and ugly. Nice to see some of your choices you guys had since your childhood too. We all had those weird fascinations with certain sports titles from our earlier days. Looking back I would think most of us liked more sports games than we'd like to admit. lol

Almost in chronological order my timeline to sports fav's
NES
Magic Darts
Lunar Pool
Base Wars
Double Dribble
Blades of Steel
Jordan Vs Bird
T&C Surf
Skate or Die
California Games

16-Bit Era None! (Big RPG Phase for me)

32-Bit- I was Back!!
Coolboarders
Gameday 98, 99
THPS
Thrashers Skate n Destroy

Modern
NFL Fever
Transworld Snowboarding
EA Skate Series

Olympic Sports titles in general too cause with some much experience under my belt, the only things that's left is to master Figure Skating! lol
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:28 pm

Good video.

And I love sports games and suspect that most of us on this board feel the same.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:29 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:And I love sports games and suspect that most of us on this board feel the same.

I think some of us do yeah, viewtopic.php?f=51&t=45022
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

by sevin0seven Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:36 pm

it's about time you have an episode about sports vid games.
Visit my store: sevin0seven Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
dogman91
128-bit

by dogman91 Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:04 pm

Joe! I've been meaning to share with you this random idea:
Seeing as you have super-hi-tech expensive video cameras and whatnot (I assume), being a video guy and all, I'm wondering what it would look like to film game footage of your CRT with the camera versus getting it from the video cable. Blinking lines like what's expected with cameras on CRTs? Watching Game Sack on a LCD with a high-res video capture of those CRT phosphors sounds like a tasty prospect in my head, if it turns out anything like looking at it in real life. Just an idea.

Never thought I'd say this, but watching this actually made me want to play some sports games *gasp*. Decathlete and Baseball Stars look interesting. Those football and 8-bit baseball games still look as bland to me as ever though.

Another kick ass episode in the lineup of awesome episodes from Game Sack. Love how long and in-depth they are lately especially.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:23 pm

I really liked it Joe. I'd honestly love a follow-up, especially if it forced you guys to go newer. Heck, it would be a cool challenge for you guys to step out of your comfort zone. I know I'd be happy to offer up some more recent titles for you guys to "work" your way through. :D
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

by Sload Soap Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:29 pm

Great video as usual, guys!

I think yes, you could do a second sports game vid, but maybe focus on pseudo-sports like Speedball 2, Bloodbowl or the Mutant League games. Then you have the mascot sports games: Mario Golf/Tennis, Megaman Soccer, Klonoa Beach Volleyball. Might make an interesting vid. Probably won't though. :lol:
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:51 am

*finishes watching*

*melts from sports inundation*

Well ok, I played a fair amount of Mini Putt and Ballblazer on my C64 back in the day. Both were lots of fun.
Redifer
128-bit

by Redifer Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:49 am

dogman91 wrote:I'm wondering what it would look like to film game footage of your CRT with the camera versus getting it from the video cable. Blinking lines like what's expected with cameras on CRTs?

Check out this video I did a long time ago. All game screens were shot with the camera pointed at the CRT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--T8jGZLxns
Return to Videos