Post game-related video clips here
Metal Jesus
128-bit

Top 10 PS2 Games

by Metal Jesus Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:02 pm

All this talk of a new Playstation console had me sorting through my collection of 200+ PS2 games and come up with my Top 10 list…with Honorable Mentions!

http://youtu.be/QsZfEtaO_us <--YouTube

What is your favorite Top 10 Playstation 2 Games?
Luke
Next-Gen

Re: Top 10 PS2 Games

by Luke Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:09 pm

In no order, my top 10 would include:

ICO
Shadow of the Colossus
NHL 2002
GTA San Adreas
Yakuza 2
Final Fantasy X
Tekken Tag Tournament
Rule of Rose
Ace Combat 04
God of War

Nods to the DMC series, Crash series (including the racers), Shadow Hearts series, Persona series, .Hack series, Suidoken series, and Firefighter FD 18.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:20 pm

Luke wrote:NHL 2002

What makes this version better than the later games in the series? I see it fairly often - and I only try to get a few sports games for my modern systems - so I am curious as to whether I should pick it up. (I already have NHL 2006 since it contains some 16-bit NHL games as bonus features.)
Hazerd
Next-Gen

by Hazerd Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:45 pm

What's the program used to show those PS2 games on the wooden shelf background?
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:02 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
Luke wrote:NHL 2002

What makes this version better than the later games in the series? I see it fairly often - and I only try to get a few sports games for my modern systems - so I am curious as to whether I should pick it up. (I already have NHL 2006 since it contains some 16-bit NHL games as bonus features.)

It's not only one of my favorite hockey games, it's one of my favorite video games.

This is going to sound dorky, but so be it. I've played hockey most of my life, and the game captures what it is like to be on the ice. The fluidity, the sense of knowing where your team is even when they are off-screen, the sweet spots of the goal, the action in the crease, how and when your team switches lines... It's hockey ecstasy for me.

The play by play commentators are hilarious, yet insightful. The graphics may be dated but look incredible in my eyes. But mostly it's about how incredible the gameplay is. The AI is fair; you lose a game, it's your own fault. You can use powerups via using player cards that you can "buy" but they're not needed.

Even the refs make the right calls at the right times. It's insanely like playing actual hockey. Not necessarily a hockey simulator, but that with a tad of arcade flair.

I'll shut up as I could go on forever on how great the game is. It probably costs less than a McDouble with a small order of fries, so just buy it. If you don't like it, I'll be happy to buy it from you. NHL 2002 is basically my Father's Missile Command: I'll play it as long as I can.

I lied when I said I would shut up. I'm playing NHL 2002 asap on my digi projector while wearing one of my hockey sweaters and drinking a Labatt's Blue.
Ack

by Ack Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:15 pm

Hmm...interesting list. I can't say I agree with all of it(but I most definitely agree on Katamari), but then I haven't played all of it either. I noticed you were getting some flak from the comments, but eh, I don't agree with all of their choices either. But you definitely proposed some solid games, and I appreciate that you repeatedly pointed out that this list was from your point of view and that others might disagree.

For me, I struggle to put together a top 10 anything, but here are 10 titles that I would love to get some attention:

Echo Night: Beyond
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
King of Fighters XI
Metal Slug Anthology
Onimusha: Warlords
The Red Star
Silent Hill 3
Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven
Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution
Way of the Samurai

Also, really? Britney's Dance Beat?
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:57 pm

Luke wrote:*NHL 2002 is awesome*

It sounds great. Based on your recommendation, I will be sure to pick up a copy the next time I see it. :)

Many of the PS2's best games received ports to the Xbox or HD ports to the PS3. Nonetheless, a few of my favorite games remain exclusive to the console. They are, in alphabetical order:

Contra: Shattered Soldier
Hot Shots Golf 3
Katamari Damacy/We Love Katamari
The King of Fighters XI
Klonoa 2
The Mark of Kri
Maximo: Ghosts to Glory
The Red Star
R-Type Final
Twisted Metal Black

(I also have 200+ PS2 games, and I have not played through all of them. Based on my experiences, however, the list would probably include The Adventures of Cookie & Cream, Dragon Quest VIII, Kya: Dark Lineage, Shinobi/Nightshade, etc. if I had spent more time with them.)

The PS2 is also home to some great compilations that are not available anywhere else:

Art of Fighting Anthology
Fatal Fury Battle Archives Vol. 1 & 2
Street Fighter Alpha Anthology
Space Channel 5: Special Edition
World Heroes Anthology

but I did not want to include these becasue all of the games in the compilations are available elsewhere.

Finally, there are some great "series" games that remain exclusive to the PS2 - such as Gran Turismo 3/4, SSX, Tekken 5, and Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution - that I did not want to list because I feel that they have been surpassed by more recent installments in their respective series.

In sum...the PS2 is a great console, and I am happy to see someone honoring its great library with a widely-viewed video.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:10 pm

In no order (and only counting North American releases):

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
ICO
Shadow of the Colossus
Beyond Good & Evil
Okami
Grandia II
Tales of the Abyss
Final Fantasy X
Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Ys: The Ark of Napishtim
Ack

by Ack Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:11 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:In no order (and only counting North American releases):

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
ICO
Shadow of the Colossus
Beyond Good & Evil
Okami
Grandia II
Tales of the Abyss
Final Fantasy X
Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Ys: The Ark of Napishtim

Anyone ever tell you that you play too many RPGs, Bone? :lol:
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

by BoringSupreez Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:15 pm

MGS2
MGS3
R&C: Going Commando
R&C: Up Your Arsenal
Sly 2
Sly 3
Jak 1
Jak 2
Jak 3
Ace Combat 4

One could say I have a fondness for 3D platformers.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
Return to Videos