Post game-related video clips here
Metal Jesus
128-bit

Super Nintendo - Hidden Gems

by Metal Jesus Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:33 am

http://youtu.be/VJrR5DMAkmc <---YouTube

Hidden Gems for Super Nintendo! These are some of the best and most fun games few people know about. Mega game collector John Hancock shows some of the games he recommends for SNES fans to play and add to their collection.

Which SNES games would you like to see in Part 2?
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Re: Super Nintendo - Hidden Gems

by Hobie-wan Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:29 pm

There's just something I don't like about John about the way John comes across. I swear there's some weird vague smugness about his collection or something. Some little vibe that bugs me. :? He says wrong information all the time too. Space Megaforce is 1 player. It would take all of 5 seconds to check. And yes, it is made by Compile, same as Blazing Lazers (Gunhed). Run Saber is one where mentioning that it is 2 player would have been great.

But some other good hidden stuff would be Brain Lord or Operation Logic Bomb.

(Edited for a clearer statement as I promise I'm not trying to be a jerk. Not removing it and hiding from my poorly worded mistake though.)
Metal Jesus
128-bit

by Metal Jesus Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:33 pm

Hobie-wan wrote:There's just something I don't like about John. I swear there's some weird vague smugness about his collection or something.

You are interpreting his shyness on camera for smugness. He's far from arrogant about his collection or games. Trust me... I know him very well.

Also... he has so many games, that it's impossible to get every detail correct live on camera. Cut the guy some slack.
retromangia
16-bit

by retromangia Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:11 pm

yeah Metal Jesus... Standing up for his homies! ;)

Great work on your videos btw.. some of most well produced gaming videos on youtube, hands down. Keep em' comin!
superyoda41
16-bit

by superyoda41 Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:17 pm

I literally just picked up Firestriker for a dollar. I had never heard of it either. Maybe I'll give it a run thru now.

Recommended titles to consider--Phantom 2040 (you have to love your cartoon-show tie-in games-to-shows-that-get-cancelled-quickly-and-kids-have-no-familiarity-with-the central-character games)

I also don't know if this qualifies because I'm sure the game sold well, but Batman Returns on SNES is very good. Typically, people assume movie tie-in games are terrible (Thanks LJN!), but in this instance you had a fun beat-em-up with good graphics developed by Konami. Everyone gives Batman and Robin: The Animated Series all the love, but this game was great too and often gets swept into the crappy pile unfairly. Also, it is very affordable compared to some of these other hidden gems.

Make sure you balance the titles between affordable games and highly priced ones. I mean Hagane is a hidden gem, but let's be honest, 99% of the people watching the video will never see/own/play/hold/eat a copy of Hagane. I guess I want to think I could go and play some of these games one day.

Thanks for doing this, I enjoy the videos.
Hazerd
Next-Gen

by Hazerd Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:40 pm

Had found Hagane for $3, sold it for $100, kinda regret it, but only because it goes for like $300+ now.

Not for the game itself, id rather play Joe & Mac or Super Ghouls N Ghosts. :mrgreen:
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

by ninjainspandex Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:44 pm

Hazerd wrote:Had found Hagane for $3, sold it for $100, kinda regret it, but only because it goes for like $300+ now.

Not for the game itself, id rather play Joe & Mac or Super Ghouls N Ghosts. :mrgreen:

yeah unfortunately Hagene is far to ball bustingly hard for its own good. such a cool looking game I wish I was better at it.
superyoda41
16-bit

by superyoda41 Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:03 pm

Yea, I heard the game itself isn't that great. Mike Matei had it in his 10 obscure SNES games last year and said that it really is only for someone who is extremely hardcore SNES enthusiast. I interpret that to mean it's insanely difficult and frustrating.

I guess the whole Blockbuster-exclusive rumors fuel it's value.
Ack

by Ack Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:10 pm

I watched the video and enjoyed it. While I have heard of all of them, I haven't acquired most yet. Some of his choices were pretty interesting. The only one I'm really critical of was Legend, but I just wasn't that impressed by it. That said, I had also just acquired King of the Dragons and Magic Sword around the same time, so playing through all three of those, I discovered I preferred it the least. But he was right in that it doesn't get much love.

I admit that I was delighted to see Skyblazer, Choplifter III, R-Type III, and Firestriker called hidden gems. Titles like Space Megaforce and Runsaber I've been seeing more and more of in "hidden game" lists, but I think he called out some excellent games that don't get much love. Kudos from a fellow SNES collector!
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
deathsled
128-bit

by deathsled Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:12 pm

superyoda41 wrote: I guess I want to think I could go and play some of these games one day.

You can, at any time, for free. It's called emulation. I don't know why some people are against emulation unless they're just die hard purists and have to play on original hardware. It's not like when you buy a used SNES game the developers or publishers see one cent of that money....
Return to Videos