Crazy Weird Racing Games

Post game-related video clips here
Metal Jesus
128-bit

Crazy Weird Racing Games

Post by Metal Jesus »

http://youtu.be/NFB6RIOhmMw <--YouTube Video

Crazy, Weird and Bizarre Racing Games with Jason Heine of TheEMUreview! Some of the games are so bad they are good…and some are…just really, really BAD!

Games Mentioned:

Car Battler Joe (GBA)
Road Blaster (iOS)
Enviro-Bear (iOS)
Jet Moto series (PS1)
Rumble Racing (PS2)
Starsky & Hutch (PS2)

Mentions: Desert Bus (PC) & Namco Negcon and Jogcon controllers
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Re: Crazy Weird Racing Games

Post by fastbilly1 »

Car Battler Joe is awesome, one of my favorites. Sadly I have never gotten four people together to play it multiplayer, I will have to do so soon.
Metal Jesus
128-bit

Post by Metal Jesus »

fastbilly1 wrote:Car Battler Joe is awesome, one of my favorites. Sadly I have never gotten four people together to play it multiplayer, I will have to do so soon.

I had no idea the game supports 4 players! My copy didn't come with a manual... so that's good to know
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Metal Jesus wrote:
fastbilly1 wrote:Car Battler Joe is awesome, one of my favorites. Sadly I have never gotten four people together to play it multiplayer, I will have to do so soon.

I had no idea the game supports 4 players! My copy didn't come with a manual... so that's good to know

I have played it two player. It is very Twisted Metal meets Pokemon. But we realized after a couple rounds that the flying chassis is ridiculously over powered.
Ghegs
64-bit

Post by Ghegs »

Rumble Racing is one I meant to pick up at some point, but totally forgot about it. Don't see if it's particularly crazy or weird, though...

Good to see the neGcon getting a mention. I just bought another spare, making me the proud owner of no less than four neGcon controllers.
Metal Jesus
128-bit

Post by Metal Jesus »

Ghegs wrote:Rumble Racing is one I meant to pick up at some point, but totally forgot about it. Don't see if it's particularly crazy or weird, though...

A stunt system like SSX and special Tornado attacks isn't crazy or weird for a racing game?
Ghegs
64-bit

Post by Ghegs »

Metal Jesus wrote:
Ghegs wrote:Rumble Racing is one I meant to pick up at some point, but totally forgot about it. Don't see if it's particularly crazy or weird, though...

A stunt system like SSX and special Tornado attacks isn't crazy or weird for a racing game?

Well, the power-ups seem like standard Kart racer fare. The stunt system is a bit rarer to be sure, but there have been examples of that both before and after Rumble Racing, like Uniracers, many Hot Wheels games, Speed Racer, Nitronic Rush...maybe I'm just so used to racing games like that, where extreme attention to realism isn't listed on the feature page, that the concept doesn't appear wildly outlandish to me. :)

I don't know, maybe something like Motor Toon Grand Prix (US) feels more weird to me. It's a kart racer, but you can disable the power-ups completely (awesome right there) and it has a graphical style and theme that's crazy in that "Looney Tunes after a drop of acid" -sense. The game also has unlockable minigames, like a tank battle and a Battleship-type of thing.

As an aside, the game is made by the team who later made Gran Turismo. One of the minigames is a more serious type of racing game, it's very cool.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Ghegs wrote:I don't know, maybe something like Motor Toon Grand Prix (US) feels more weird to me. It's a kart racer, but you can disable the power-ups completely (awesome right there) and it has a graphical style and theme that's crazy in that "Looney Tunes after a drop of acid" -sense. The game also has unlockable minigames, like a tank battle and a Battleship-type of thing.

As an aside, the game is made by the team who later made Gran Turismo. One of the minigames is a more serious type of racing game, it's very cool.

2nd this, Motor Toon is good PS1 racer with a different look in the animation.

Starsky & Hutch is a great choice as a Hidden Gem due to the Lightgun capability. Try playing the game solo, one hand on the wheel and the other holding the Lightgun.

Road Trip - Gamecube/GBA
Based on the older Choro Q series on the Playstation. A different take on racing, use your car with its gadgets including flying, shooting and floating in the water to beat different courses. The GC/GBA version can link with each other to unlock new features.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

mister j-y
24-bit

Post by mister j-y »

Seriously one of the highlights of my week! Up there with Heisenberg and Dave and Joe for me - consistently very high quality, thanks MJR
Systems: PS3, XBox360, Wii-U, New 3DS XL, DC, oXBox, GC (w/GB Player), PSP, DS, GBA, SNES, Megadrive, GB
ZenErik
Next-Gen

Post by ZenErik »

Japan World Cup.

So awesome.
My B/S/T thread! :)
Switch ID: ??? ||| PSN ID: ZenErik (PS4) ||| Steam: Erikdayo