More GameCube Hidden Gems (Part 3)

Post game-related video clips here
Metal Jesus
128-bit

More GameCube Hidden Gems (Part 3)

Post by Metal Jesus »

http://youtu.be/YrMiPZQc8xg <--YouTube Link

Even more Hidden Gems for the Nintendo Gamecube (Part 3) & Gamecube collectors looking to find more games for their library!

Games Shown:
Gotcha Force
Tube Slider
SpongeBob SquarePants Battle for Bikini Bottom
Pac-Man Vs.
Tales of Symphonia
Wario World
Resident Evil 0 & 1
I-Ninja

What do you think about the GameCube controller? Do you like it...or loath it?
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: More GameCube Hidden Gems (Part 3)

Post by alienjesus »

Nice video, some good choices in there.

If you're a fan of Gotcha Force you should be sure to check our Custom Robo too. I know you said Gotcha Force feels kinda like Virtual On meets Pokémon, but really it's most like Custom Robo.

Custom Robo is a Nintendo IP, it's been around a little while in Japan but the Cube version is the first western release (it didn't make it to Europe though) and it's a lot of fun.

Speaking of robots, I can't remember if you've talked about Chibi Robo in any of your Gamecube videos yet, but I would definitely recommend checking that one out. It's one of my favourite games for the system, and one of my favourites on any system for that matter, but most people don't seem to give it a chance.

As for what I think of the Gamecube controller, I think it's the best controller ever made. I'm kinda sad that the newer Nintendo consoles are using the boring conventional diamond button pattern.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

alienjesus wrote:As for what I think of the Gamecube controller, I think it's the best controller ever made. I'm kinda sad that the newer Nintendo consoles are using the boring conventional diamond button pattern.

It's pretty sweet for FPS, and those analog triggers with the nice design so you can rest your fingers on them makes for a good shoot button so you can always be ready to do that.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Post by TEKTORO »

great video as usual man!

As mentioned before, Gotcha Force definitely reminded me of Custom Robo a cult classic for sure.

If you like the GC controller you should try to find some wavebirds they are light and the AA batteries last forever in them. I think I mentioned this before but also awesome when combined with the GBA player!

Now that I think about does the Pac Man VS work with the GBA players linked up? That would be sweet.
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

I think the Gamecube controller is fairly comfortable, but otherwise the design is a bit nightmarish: The trigger buttons have a little too much play, for me (although they are satisfying to toy with) I hate the location of the Z button; games that focus on the A button are fine, but ones that utilize the X, Y, and B buttons can make the layout seem silly, to me; Nub-y-ness of the C stick is pretty annoying for camera controls; D-pad is flat out horrible.

Overall, I think it's aesthetically pleasing, and comfortable, but a practical nightmare. It often makes me wish I had one of the Hori GBA player controllers, also.
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

Post by Cronozilla »

Another great video. Yay, I-Ninja.

The GameCube controller is my second favorite controller, right after SNES. I love that thing. The only thing I think is really wrong with it is the Z button placement, and I've gotten used to that. The D-Pad never bothered me that much, because it's the exact same size as the D-Pad on the GBA SP, and it's not used very often. Though it's placement, because of the conformity of the controller, can feel awkward. It's also one of the only controllers that I can use for hours and my hand doesn't start to hurt in various ways. I can't say the same for any other controller besides SNES.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Cronozilla wrote:It's also one of the only controllers that I can use for hours and my hand doesn't start to hurt in various ways. I can't say the same for any other controller besides SNES.

How does the Saturn controller start to hurt your hands? Or for that matter, any official Sony or Sega controller?

I honestly can't think of a controller that "hurts" my hands other than the original NES, or N64 controllers. Plenty of uncomfortable ones, like the Duke/Jaguar controller/2nd Gen console controllers.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Great video! Good to see some of those games getting more attention.

As for the gamecube controller, I love it. At first, when I was younger, I despised the design. After a long period of time and using it a lot, I came to find it to be one of the best and most comfortable controllers out there. The only real issue I have had with it is the Z-button's placement. It is so small, I sometimes hit it unknowingly. Outside of that I love it. That generation had some of the best controllers out there. The Dreamcast controller (which is had a few more buttons though honestly) and the Giant Hamburger pad Xbox controller were also awesome, only because the Hamburger Pad was the only thing big enough to house my enormous fingers.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:the Giant Hamburger pad Xbox controller were also awesome, only because the Hamburger Pad was the only thing big enough to house my enormous fingers.

But you're ok with the tiny GC Dpad?
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Hobie-wan wrote:But you're ok with the tiny GC Dpad?

I never used it so it never came up as an issue...thankfully, but that D-Pad is so much better than the Playstation controller. I hate the D-pad for that controller, it is so clunky. Give me the Saturn D-Pad any day!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.