TV Plug & Play Consoles

Post game-related video clips here
Metal Jesus
128-bit

TV Plug & Play Consoles

Post by Metal Jesus »

http://youtu.be/PneFC0y9eS8 <---YouTube Video

TV Plug & Play consoles are a quick and fun way to get your gaming fix. I review four systems and I tell you what I like, and dislike about each.

Do you guys collect TV Plug & Plays? If so...which ones?
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: TV Plug & Play Consoles

Post by CRTGAMER »

Metal Jesus wrote:TV Plug & Play consoles are a quick and fun way to get your gaming fix. I review four systems and I tell you what I like, and dislike about each.

Do you guys collect TV Plug & Plays? If so...which ones?

My favorites are the Namco series, Atari Flashbacks and especially the vintage Mattel units. I am maintaing a running guide as I madly aquire PlugnPlays that I really don't need. :oops:

I could not run the video in my G3 which needs a newer Flash Player installed. Have to find a way since the older iMac is no longer getting updates on the Flash Player. I'll have to look at it later on in the Win 7 laptop. Already know your video will be very informative, I added the link in my Portable Games Guide. Looking forward to watching the clip later on. :D
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

While don't collect them, I do own 2 (well technically 3) which are really good.

Street Fighter II Special Champion Edition by Radica. Essentially a direct port of the Geneses MD release , which I consider the best home port of the game for it time (Yes Tg16 and SNES junkies, you heard me!). A well put together plug and play system, providing 2 (damn close iterations of the MD 6 button pad) controllers for straight multiplayer Versus right out the box. Just like the MD cart, you get Dash, and Dash Turbo versions of SFII to play with. As a very neat bonus, they throw in a complete version of Capcom's Ghouls and Ghosts.

Mortal Kombat by Jakks Pacific. An interesting plug and play yet somewhat dissapointing, the game doesn't look to be a direct conversion of any previous home versions though. It actually looks like a more competent version than its SNES, Genesis MD or Sega CD predecessors. The controller recreates the arcade button layout in miniature form with an elaborate Dpad design and MK's "X" style button layout. Unfortunately, while the game does support Multiplayer versus, you must buy another complete MK plug and play package (the controllers connect to each other via a pre packed special aux cable).
Redifer
128-bit

Post by Redifer »

I thought it was interesting not only for the comments I left on the video watch page, but also that it seems every one of these (in this video, at least) runs on batteries. So I'm beginning to wonder if this niche industry is backed by the battery industry. Gotta get my tin-foil hat and investigate this!
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

Redifer wrote:I thought it was interesting not only for the comments I left on the video watch page, but also that it seems every one of these (in this video, at least) runs on batteries. So I'm beginning to wonder if this niche industry is backed by the battery industry. Gotta get my tin-foil hat and investigate this!

The SFII Radica plug n play unit I mentioned DOES have an alternative 6 volt adapter slot for those that don't like batteries. Adapter not included though :lol:
Redifer
128-bit

Post by Redifer »

Oh nice. :x
Metal Jesus
128-bit

Post by Metal Jesus »

Redifer wrote:I'm beginning to wonder if this niche industry is backed by the battery industry. Gotta get my tin-foil hat and investigate this!

The disposable battery industry has had it in for us since the Game Gear & Atari Lynx, my friend! The bastards! :)
Ghegs
64-bit

Post by Ghegs »

Oh, nice. Plug 'n play systems are largely an unexplored area since it's hard to find any worthwhile reviews and info about them, so this was a cool video to see. I was actually a bit impressed by the Star Wars one, the shmup game looked like it could be worth the price of admission alone. Shame I'll never find one for $4. The Ms. Pac-Man one was kind of interesting, but seeing how it includes the same games Namco has included in every one of its many compilation releases for all systems under the sun, there's little reason to pick it up other than the novelty value.

Way back in 2008 I made a video myself of shmups included in a 50-in-1 plug 'n play console, but they're all very bad games, a far cry from the ones shown here. I also have/had that Radica Tetris plug'n play one, where the joystick is shaped like the square block. It's exceptionally uncomfortable to use, otherwise it would be a decent way to get one's Tetris fix.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

I enjoyed that, cheers mate.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Metal Jesus wrote:TV Plug & Play consoles are a quick and fun way to get your gaming fix. I review four systems and I tell you what I like, and dislike about each.

Nice review! I usually avoid TV show or Movie themed PlugnPlays and prefer ones based on real Arcade and Console games, you opened my eyes in presenting these!

That stealth level of Scoobie Doo looks fun, reminds me of Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle with the movement thru the doors. That glowing joystick is slick. Sponge Bob does look good, nice to see a hook level, the cartoon episode was funny. I did not know about the Star Wars Falcon having an Analog stick over the more common digital. Kind of makes sense for a looser control while avoiding the 2600 cramp. The Battery Namco is the only Namco that I have avoided due to that battery requirement. It looks beautiful with almost a retro Arcade table top look, does it need a close line of sight to work accurately? Nice to see Bosconion diagonal movement corrected in it!
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425