More Wii Hidden Gems

Post game-related video clips here
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: More Wii Hidden Gems

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Thanks for the recommendation on Speed Racer. I picked up a copy for $5 from a local Gamestop, and spent a few minutes with it this morning. It's like a lost F-Zero game!
Last edited by prfsnl_gmr on Sat May 25, 2013 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
foxhound1022
Next-Gen

Post by foxhound1022 »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Thanks for the recommendation on Speed Racer. I picked up a copy for $5 from a local Gamestop, and spent a few minutes with it this morning. It is like a lost F-Zero game!

Really? I'm now intrigued. I hope Nintendo does a new F-Zero on WiiU.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

foxhound1022 wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:Thanks for the recommendation on Speed Racer. I picked up a copy for $5 from a local Gamestop, and spent a few minutes with it this morning. It is like a lost F-Zero game!

I only played for about 30 minutes this morning, but the game features: (1) incredible speed; (2) races with 12 contestants; and (3) swirling, brightly colored tracks. It is not as difficult as the most recent F-Zero games - which is a positive as far as I am concerned - but I was very pleasantly surprised.

EDIT: Here is an excerpt from IGN's review:

"The end result is a Wii racer that moves along at an unexpectedly quick pace in the realm of the WipEout series and even approaches F-Zero GX's lightning-fast performance here and there (although the framerate is not as smooth as Nintendo's title)."

Their primary criticism is that the game does not offer enough tracks.
Last edited by prfsnl_gmr on Sat May 25, 2013 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
foxhound1022
Next-Gen

Post by foxhound1022 »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
foxhound1022 wrote:

I only played for about 30 minutes this morning, but the game features: (1) incredible speed; (2) races with 12 contestants; and (3) swirling, brightly colored tracks. It is not as difficult as the most recent F-Zero games - which is a positive as far as I am concerned - but I was very pleasantly surprised.

Hmm. Boasting all of these qualities and a very cheap price has now made me want to check this out for myself. Thanks.
Ghegs
64-bit

Post by Ghegs »

That is starting to sound good enough, indeed. So you can confirm it doesn't support the classic controller? Does it at least have a basic Time Attack mode?
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Ghegs wrote:That is starting to sound good enough, indeed. So you can confirm it doesn't support the classic controller? Does it at least have a basic Time Attack mode?

A quick Google Image search confirms the back cover does not list a Classic Controller Icon. I'm not keen on steering with a Wiimote, a shame so many good Wii games do not give a variety of controller options. From looking at Metal Jesus's video it does remind me of Wipeout with the raised tracks and lighting affects.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Ghegs
64-bit

Post by Ghegs »

CRTGAMER wrote:
Ghegs wrote:That is starting to sound good enough, indeed. So you can confirm it doesn't support the classic controller? Does it at least have a basic Time Attack mode?

A quick Google Image search confirms the back cover does not list a Classic Controller Icon. I'm not keen on steering with a Wiimote, a shame so many good Wii games do not give a variety of controller options. From looking at Metal Jesus's video it does remind me of Wipeout with the raised tracks and lighting affects.

I'm not quite as averse to motion controls in racing games as I once was. Some time ago I played through GT Pro Series which also lacks classic controller support but the motion controls work remarkably well there, I felt very much in control the whole time. The game also has a PS2 port so I could just get that for analog stick controls, though...

And Wikipedia and some videos say the game has a Time Trial mode, so I might just get either version. Cheap as peanuts either way.