Nintendo Wii Hidden Gems (Video)

Post game-related video clips here
Metal Jesus
128-bit

Nintendo Wii Hidden Gems (Video)

Post by Metal Jesus »

http://youtu.be/c4cLi3iGy5w - YouTube Video

The Nintendo Wii may have seen its share of crappy shovelware games, but buried beneath all that are some truly fun Hidden Gems for game collectors. If you are looking for some new Wii games, here are some I recommend!

Lost in Shadow
Dead Space Extraction
Muramasa The Demon Blade
Kororinpa Marble Mania
Red Steel 2
MX vs ATV Untamed
Ghost Squad

What games would you like to see in Part 2 & 3?
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Nintendo Wii Hidden Gems (Video)

Post by alienjesus »

Metal Jesus wrote:What games would you like to see in Part 2 & 3?

Some good choices.

Here are more I'd recommend, a few of which I noticed in you game pile already:

Another Code R (PAL only) - Text heavy but very pretty adventure game follow up to Another Code/Trace Memory for DS
Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise/ Rhythm Heaven Fever - Quirky fun rhythm game
A Boy and his Blob - Beautiful and inventive reimagining of the series
De Blob - Fun platformer with awesome style and funky music
Disaster: Day of Crisis (PAL only) - B movie styled disaster survival game.
Geometry Wars Galaxies - content packed entry into the series
Let's Tap - Quirky party game played by tapping a box.
Little Kings Story - Long and involved game with plenty of off situations and quirky humour (one of my absolute favourites for the system)
Mushroom Men: The Spore Wars - Bizarre action adventure game, shlock horror stylings
Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love - The only English language release in a popular series of dating sim/strategy games by Sega.
Sin and Punishment: Successor of the Skies/Star Successor - Sequel to the original rail shooter by Treasure, perfect with wiimote and nunchuck.
The Sky Crawlers: Innocent Aces - Flight combat game by project aces, brilliant dogfighting with lots of technical manouevres to pull off. Surprisingly great with wiimote controls.
Tatsunoko vs Capcom - Might not be considered obscure enough by some, but a great entry into the capcom vs series.
Wario Land: The Shake Dimension/Shake it! - Odd to count as a hidden gem as a nintendo release, but it's never really mentioned. classic wario platforming with a great art style.
Zack and Wiki - Awesome point and click game with fun style and clever puzzles.

Also, whilst I haven't had the chance to try these myself, I've heard good stuff about Blast Works, The Munchables, Dewy's Adventure, Excitebots, Fragile Dreams, Legend of Sayuki, Klonoa, Mini Ninjas, Mercury Meltdown, Minon: Everyday Hero, Opoona, Tenchu: Shadow Assassins, Trauma Team and Tornado Outbreak, so they all might be worth looking into aswell.
Redifer
128-bit

Post by Redifer »

Combo breaker! (I'm not a Jesus)
Ghegs
64-bit

Post by Ghegs »

I don't think Dead Space Extraction was ever released on Steam, just Wii and PS3.

Few from my collection that might qualify:

Data East Arcade Classics
Excite Truck
Need for Speed: Nitro

Also, while not exactly a hidden gem, some time ago I played through much-panned GT Pro Series and found it much more enjoyable than most people give it credit for. Not great, but decent enough.
Metal Jesus
128-bit

Post by Metal Jesus »

Ghegs wrote:I don't think Dead Space Extraction was ever released on Steam, just Wii and PS3.

I think you are right. I had read somewhere that it was planned for a PC release, but must not have happened. Sorry for the confusion.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

This should be a fun video series. There are so many fun games for the Wii, and so many of those games received very little attention.

For future installments, you may want to consider:

Blast Works
Dewey's Adventure
The Kore Gang
Spyborgs

Those are some exclusives that come to mind immediately...If I was looking at my collection right now, I could probably list some more.
SNKnicotine
128-bit

Post by SNKnicotine »

I think these should be added as well
*Cursed Mountain
*RE Darkside Chronicles
*Ultimate Shooting Collection
Klassic PlastiK @ youtube.com/KlassicplastiK
Currently playing:Super Smash bros.(4)(3DS/WiiU)
Currently reading: Batman: Death of a Family
AppleQueso wrote:You can't even pronounce "RPG" or "FPS" like you can "Shmup"
Arpuhguh? Fffpiss? Bah!
"Shmup" is far more elegant!
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

Post by Cronozilla »

Sky Crawlers - The controls are really interesting.
I second Ultimate Shooting Collection it's a really great compilation of some DC shmups.
Little King Story is fabulous
Spyborgs is not fantastic, but definitely worth a look. Extremely ignored.
Kore Gang. Pretty good action-adventure platformer.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Yet another great entertaining video! Thanks for listing the games in your OP, handy for a future Reference.

So true there are many hidden gems on the Wii undiscovered by many gamers who ignore it. One of the features that the Wii has as an advantage over the PS3 and 360 is the Motion Sensor Controls. It is available on every single console out of the box. A double edged sword, sometimes too much motion shake required in games. On the plus, ALL FPS and Light Gun Wii games are supported for the instant aiming, so much quicker and accurate versus trying to point with an analog stick. Sony's Move and Microsoft's Kinect had to play catch up in this area of gameplay. The Wii's main weakness is that more games should allow the Classic Control option to give a gamer the choice how to play.

I noticed one of the games you reviewed is Kororinpa Marble Mania. Check out the followup; Marble Saga Kororinpa. It has dedicated levels that can be played with a balance board. :idea:

Cronozilla wrote:Sky Crawlers - The controls are really interesting.
I second Ultimate Shooting Collection it's a really great compilation of some DC shmups.
Little King Story is fabulous
Spyborgs is not fantastic, but definitely worth a look. Extremely ignored.
Kore Gang. Pretty good action-adventure platformer.

Agree Skycrawlers is a fantastic flying game and it also supports Gamecube or a Classic Controller. With a Mayflash adaptor it is perfect with the PS1 Flightstick! :shock: :mrgreen:
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Metal Jesus
128-bit

Post by Metal Jesus »

CRTGAMER wrote:Check out the followup; Marble Saga Kororinpa. It has dedicated levels that can be played with a balance board.

The balance board?! Huh... that could be really fun