Post game-related video clips here
Redifer
128-bit

Game Sack - RPGs PART 2!

by Redifer Sun May 12, 2013 6:55 pm

Here is the second part in our RPG coverage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcHzW9s79v8

Mostly JRPGs... well they all play like JRPGs... but Pier Solar on the Genesis wasn't programmed in Japan. ;)

If you missed RPG part 1 here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WfPzI9iY0o
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Re: Game Sack - RPGs PART 2!

by TEKTORO Sun May 12, 2013 9:52 pm

Great episode once again guys!
Final Fantasy III/VI will never get old being the best RPG!

As for the question why they are called RPG's, when in most games you play a "role"?

I think is because of the involvement of the role in these types of games, very story driven at a time when platformers and other games didnt have this type of depth in story. And I always associated RPG with turn base battles, Menus/stats and upgrades. Party based systems and many hours long, no levels to beat.
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

by Valkyrie-Favor Sun May 12, 2013 10:41 pm

In part 1, you guys mentioned that the Phantasy Star Generation remakes "definitely aren't replacements for the originals." What did you mean by this? Just curious.
Tsun tsun dere tsun dere tsun tsun~ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . UPDATED trade list
noiseredux wrote:Playing on your GBA/PSP you can be watching a movie/TV show/playing another RPG on your TV and then just look at the screen every once in a while
Redifer
128-bit

by Redifer Mon May 13, 2013 1:10 am

I mean they are really cool little curiosities, but I'd rather play the originals.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Mon May 13, 2013 4:19 am

Honestly there's little 'role' playing in video game RPGs compared to dice and paper ones played with a DM where you can do just about anything that falls in line with your character's abilities and the environment. Not that they can't be fun on consoles and computers, but it is all numbers, tables, dialog trees, and percentages that way. But they're based on dice and paper games, so still called RPGs.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

by Jmustang1968 Mon May 13, 2013 9:36 am

Hobie-wan wrote:Honestly there's little 'role' playing in video game RPGs compared to dice and paper ones played with a DM where you can do just about anything that falls in line with your character's abilities and the environment. Not that they can't be fun on consoles and computers, but it is all numbers, tables, dialog trees, and percentages that way. But they're based on dice and paper games, so still called RPGs.

I think it depends. Some of the MMOs have some heavy role playing elements. Many of the pc rpgs give a good dose of role playing as well. Fallout, Baldurs Gate, Torment etc. allow you to develop your character and have respectable freedom of choice as far as character development and story/dialogue decisions.

But yeah they are termed RPGs from their roots as being video game representation of D&D. The JRPGs just kind of went their own direction after influences like Draqon Quest and Final Fantasy.
Return to Videos