Post game-related video clips here
Redifer
128-bit

Re: Game Sack

by Redifer Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:54 am

Well... if you insist. :)

Check out next week's podcast whenever they release it.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:02 am

I gotta say that Game Sack has really been growing on me lately. I've been watching it quite a bit in the last few days. Too many channels around the youtubes these days are insufferably Nintendo biased, so I really enjoy the mechanic that you guys have of balancing the fanboy. (Though it does seems like Sega wins out a bit through the privilege of editorial power. I'm cool with it.)

Anyway, I just watched the JRPG episode, and I enjoyed it, but you have to get Dave to finish Chrono Cross. It's one of my favorite RPGs, ever. Granted if he doesn't like it from the start, or even the middle, there might not be any changing his opinion on it, but the second disc really makes the game. The first disc is really just set up for the second, and I haven't played the game in a while, so I don't know if it would still capture my attention the same way, but as I remember it, the latter part of the second disc is simply incredible.
A couple notes on the battle system that it seemed like Dave might not have realized is that the 1/2/3 attacks determine the power of the attack, and the percentage determines the attacks accuracy. Building up to more powerful attacks with weaker attacks makes them more accurate, like a combo. I really like the strategy it adds, along with the relationship between melee attacks and magic.

Personally, I think Chrono Cross boot stomps Chrono Trigger in terms of aesthetic, story, and characters. (I really don't like Marle, Frog or Lucca.) I don't expect Dave or anyone else to necessarily feel the same way, but I thought it was a little sad that he wasn't able to give it the fair shake that I think it deserves.

Nice job, though. I'm looking forward to seeing what makes it into the second.

Oh, and I don't know if they weren't mentioned because you don't have them in your collection or not, Joe, but the Saturn PS Collection was also a Sega Ages volume release on the PS2, and there's a re-release version of Phantasy Star for the Japanese Mega Drive. I'm not sure if it uses the FM chip soundtrack or not, though.
Redifer
128-bit

by Redifer Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:01 pm

Here is the RPG EPISODE mentioned above. :)

And no, Phantasy Star for the Mega Drive is exactly the same as playing the game on a Power Base Converter... no FM music, no enhancements, it's the SMS game in a Mega Drive cartridge shell.
SirPsycho
24-bit

by SirPsycho Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:05 pm

I know you guys mentioned a 2nd RPG episode. I'm sure you can get many suggestions on Racketboy's RPG forum and other areas you post the videos at or just post on, but I'm going to go ahead and make some suggestions for Game Sack: RPGs 3!

I have a feeling you guys will talk about some of the Saturn RPGs, I don't have any experience here, defer to you guys.

There are some weird and lesser known RPGs for the PS1 though that I haven't seen much discussion about, namely Brigandine and Saiyuki: Journey West. (Brigandine is one of the big 3 on the PS1 in terms of price though, so I wouldn't blame you guys if you don't have it and don't talk about: the other 2 in the big 3 are Valkyrie Profile and big daddy Suikoden II, both recommended as well).

You've already mentioned some of the Working Designs games, I'm wondering if you'll mention any of the other PS1 games they did like Arc the Lad Collection or Vanguard Bandits. That's not counting the Turbo and Sega stuff they did as well.

There are tons of SNES RPGs, but they've been talked about to death and info on them is easier to come by than swiss cheese.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:14 pm

Redifer wrote:no FM music, no enhancements, it's the SMS game in a Mega Drive cartridge shell.

Bummer. Well, at least I have the Ages Collection on the Saturn, anyway.
disorderlyvision
128-bit

by disorderlyvision Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:57 am

Redifer wrote:Here is the RPG EPISODE mentioned above. :)

And no, Phantasy Star for the Mega Drive is exactly the same as playing the game on a Power Base Converter... no FM music, no enhancements, it's the SMS game in a Mega Drive cartridge shell.

But does the Power Base Converter give it any more .... MEGAPOWER!!! :lol:
dogman91
128-bit

by dogman91 Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:38 am

Great episode yet again... makes me want to play Phantasy Star extra bad now! Btw for those who played it how is Lunar 1 for the Playstation? Not sure if I would jump on the Sega CD version just for Joe's comments about the lack of color and such... though I'm not sure if the changes are for the worst overall having not played it.
Redifer
128-bit

by Redifer Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:30 pm

I'm under the impression that the version you play first is the one you end up liking the most. I've heard others say they were glad they made the changes they did after playing the Sega CD version ofter the PS one. Those who play the Sega CD version first usually feel the opposite.
CavZee
Next-Gen

by CavZee Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:43 pm

Another great episode, but this time covering my favorite genre! Can't wait to see what other RPG's you guys talk about.

*crosses fingers*
Skies of Arcadia and the Mario RPG's perhaps?
Steam/NNID: CavZee PSN: I_CavZee_I
3DS FC: 5456-0768-7231
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

by ZeroAX Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:51 am

I love your show man, but getting all the way to the most recent episode will take me forever :lol: (I just finished watching the Alex Kidd and Actraiser one, and I've been going at this for months).

The thing I enjoy the most is that you guys are just honest loving gamers. You don't try to be "fun" by being bitchy like most youtube reviewers, nor do you present every game you like like the gaming equivalent of the mona lisa. You guys just LOVE games, all games, and that's what makes your show so appealing.

When I watch it I feel like I'm talking with 2 friends about games they really like, and it's relaxing to just sit back and listen (and watch) to all the interesting things about games you guys talk about, and all the "pure love" you guys show towards the genre :).

Also, even though I love my SNES a lot, as you can judge from my sig. I'm on your side against Dave :P. In all seriousness, as someone mentioned, it's nice to see a more balanced approach towards the 16-bit era from America, since most Americans seem to be Nintendo fans and they don't give the Mega Drive the chance it deserves.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Return to Videos