Retromags looking for experienced photoeditors

Discussion of scanning, archiving, and printing things such as magazines, manuals, video captures, and game covers
phillyman
8-bit

Retromags looking for experienced photoeditors

Post by phillyman »

I checked with Racketboy before posting this :)

I am Phillyman (Rob) and I am one of the 2 co-owners of Retromags.com. We scan old gaming magazines such as Nintendo Power, EGM, GamePro. We have about 130+ Nintendo Power magazines scanned, and we have quite a few more that could be released if I could get a helping hand. I am very good at scanning magazines, but I lack the skill to edit the images. Now before I scare you off....I dont need you to edit an entire magazine, what I need help with is the posters that are in the middle of each Nintendo Power issue. These posters are a 3 page fold out, and I just need someone that can crop and stitch them together. Honestly I only need the poster side stitched together....as the reverse side is usually a map.

Like everything else over at Retromags, this will be out of your own free will to help. But anyone who does help I will reward with the ability to download magazines directly from our website. Do you want to help close the chapter on the Retromags Nintendo Power set? With your help, we can have a complete set of digitalized Nintendo Power magazines from 1989-2003 :)

http://www.retromags.com/forums/Nintendo-Power-Issues-t3231.html

Issues

90, 92, 111, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119 123, 124, 125, 127, 129 , 130, 137, 140, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147

These are all missing from the Download Section but could all be released, if we just had the posters for these issues, I believe I scanned most of them and can provide rescans if needed.

Issues

121, 122, 126, 128, 136, 138, 139

These issues are missing the posters and the front cover, and could again be easily released with a tiny bit of work

Then all I would need to do is find the following issues and scan for a complete set....

148, 151, 152-161, 164-167, 169-174
nickfil
Next-Gen

Re: Retromags looking for experienced photoeditors

Post by nickfil »

i'll shoot you an e-mail if work slows down for me. Currently i'm booked through December- maybe the beginning of January.

But honestly- piecing together art from multiple scans is easy peasy for me. I've done it a lot in school and for work. I could probably get all that done in 2ish days if i didn't have to scan anything.

I'll let you know if i become available, but hopefully you'll find someone in the meantime!

To anyone else looking at this post--- you really don't need a ton of photoshop experience to do something like this- just a keen eye and a little bit of patience!
gtmtnbiker
Next-Gen

Post by gtmtnbiker »

Are there any other editors other than Photoshop that can be used for this?

Is the idea that you blow up the images to the pixel level and then line up the pixels correctly?
triverse
16-bit

Post by triverse »

gtmtnbiker wrote:Are there any other editors other than Photoshop that can be used for this?

Is the idea that you blow up the images to the pixel level and then line up the pixels correctly?

You can use Gimp which is free and what I use, just takes a bit of figuring out what options are where but after that your good to go.
Tomorrow's biggest stars are at Scenic 7 PR today. http://www.scenic7pr.com
randombullseye
24-bit

Post by randombullseye »

I just want to say how great retromags is. I've only been to the site a few times, but its the type of thing that takes so much time and effort to do a site like that, that I can appreciate it.

One question I have that has nothing to with anything on topic, what is the legality of all this? Has any company yelled at you in an e-mail yet? Furthermore, what type of corrupt and evil person would do so to the real video game fans that would want to look through old magazines in the first place, let alone share them with their friends. Be it online friends who they don't actually know, but still.