New Archiving Site

Discussion of scanning, archiving, and printing things such as magazines, manuals, video captures, and game covers
onemanfilmcrew
64-bit

New Archiving Site

Post by onemanfilmcrew »

Hey everybody, I just started an archiving site and would like some feedback. There are only 20 Sega Genesis games or so up right now, but I am scanning in the cart, box, and instructions. You can view them either in a slide show or you can download them (jpegs for cart and box, and pdf for the instructions. There is also gameplay footage of the games.

This site is brand new (and is my first one). If anyone has any suggestions on how to make it better, please let me know.

The website is

www.thevga.org
UBERTRON777
32-bit

Post by UBERTRON777 »

Pretty cool. I usually go on Wikipedia or Gamefaqs to look at lists of games and then go on to Youtube to see how they, play but now I'll be able to do that all in one place. Can't wait for you to build up on it. You might want to add summaries to the games or even manuals. It just needs a little more substance.
onemanfilmcrew
64-bit

Post by onemanfilmcrew »

I thought about adding some summaries. Once i get the content up a bit I might go back and do that.

There are a fair amount of games with the Instruction Manuals with the games. I have a stack of games waiting to be scanned in, but the manuals are time consuming.

Thanks for the feedback!
Ack

Post by Ack »

I like the idea, and while I don't think you have to write a good deal about each game, a short description as well as info like Release Dates, Location, and Genre would really help me out.
aisforaquabat
16-bit

Post by aisforaquabat »

Very cool site you have going on. I'm looking forward to the collection building up!
ott0bot
Next-Gen

Post by ott0bot »

Good site, but the flash interface makes it run kinda slow. Alot of clicking just to see the art work. Drop down menus would be more convenient then click, wait, click, wait, click. I'd rather have a bit larger loading time to begin with then a bunch of little ones throughout. Once stuff loads though, it runs quite nice.
onemanfilmcrew
64-bit

Post by onemanfilmcrew »

I understand what you are saying about the drop down menus. This is the first site I've ever designed (I didn't even get the web design software until Saturday morning). As time goes along and I get a little more comfortable with the design software I might move in that direction.

Also, if you go to the "download images" page, all of the files are there, including the instruction manuals in pdf format.
manillaungol
8-bit

Post by manillaungol »

is this just a showcase of your personal collection or do you want helps with scans and such?
onemanfilmcrew
64-bit

Post by onemanfilmcrew »

right now it's just my personal collection. I have a massive collection, so there will be a ton of games up there. Once I get the infrastructure set up I might start taking submissions. I'm still working out the kinks of the site, and trying to get a few more content items up and running.
atreyu187
24-bit

Re: New Archiving Site

Post by atreyu187 »

I would kill for proper preservation of HU cards for the PC ENgine and TG16 as most of the great gaes have bad dumps that suffer from byte swapping and only work on EMU's and not actual hardware :(