How exactly to set up the archive?

Discussion of scanning, archiving, and printing things such as magazines, manuals, video captures, and game covers
rmal
8-bit

How exactly to set up the archive?

Post by rmal »

I've expressed interest in the thread about the Official Sega Dreamcast Magazine and I will try to get the dummy issue (Issue 0 June 1999) scanned this weekend. What settings do you normally scan at? Then how do you throw the scans together into the PDF? I have Adobe Acrobat but never really use it :D. Any help would be appreciated.
~Ryan
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

I usually scan them at 300dpi for my own purposes, but I scale them down by 50% before I post them online.
I save each page as a JPG with the page number on the end of the file name.
Then I use Acrobat (the full version) to combine them into one file.
You could probably use some of the free PDF makers out there to do the same thing.
Do you have the full version of Acrobat?
rmal
8-bit

Post by rmal »

Yeah I have the full version, the benefit of my job. I needed Photoshop so they gave me the entire CS2 suite, so I installed everything :) So far the scanning seems pretty self-explanatory. I've actually never used Acrobat so a small crash course would be appreciated.
~Ryan
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

This may just be me, but I hate dealing with PDF's. I prefer to view the raw images in on app like FastStone Image Viewer. It's just more responsive, and I prefer it's full screen mode. Great for reading comics on. This is kind of why I havent had much interest in this archiving project so far.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

rmal wrote:Yeah I have the full version, the benefit of my job. I needed Photoshop so they gave me the entire CS2 suite, so I installed everything :) So far the scanning seems pretty self-explanatory. I've actually never used Acrobat so a small crash course would be appreciated.

Well go ahead and get your JPGs ready and when I get a bit more time, I'll whip up the procedure to put them together in Acrobat
rmal
8-bit

Post by rmal »

Mozgus wrote:This may just be me, but I hate dealing with PDF's. I prefer to view the raw images in on app like FastStone Image Viewer. It's just more responsive, and I prefer it's full screen mode. Great for reading comics on. This is kind of why I havent had much interest in this archiving project so far.

I don't know, me, personally, I like the PDFs because then I don't have to mess with multiple files. It probably wouldn't be too hard to put both up for download but then disk space and bandwidth become more of a concern. But if I get any things archived, I'll definitely keep the JPGs and if you want it just let me know and I could get it to you somehow.

Alright and thanks racketboy, I'll be back on Monday hopefully with 34 JPGs.
~Ryan