Anybody Experienced with OCR software?

Discussion of scanning, archiving, and printing things such as magazines, manuals, video captures, and game covers
racketboy
Site Admin

Anybody Experienced with OCR software?

Post by racketboy »

I'm trying to experiment with OCRing magazine scans so we can have searchable PDFs, but the OCR built into my full version of Acrobat could use some improvement.

Anybody have any good experience with OCR software that can process JPEGs or PDFs that are already scanned?
extrarice
64-bit

Post by extrarice »

I don't know what platform you're on, but on the Mac pretty much your only option is ReadIRIS, which is....ok... Nothing stellar, and the accuracy isn't 100%, but it gets the job done.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

I'm running XP...
extrarice
64-bit

Post by extrarice »

Hmm...does OmniPage have a Windows version? I remember that worked pretty well on Mac OS 9. Pretty good accuracy.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: Anybody Experienced with OCR software?

Post by Anapan »

I used to use Omnipage Professional on xp and it worked well. Haven't tried it in a couple years but it worked on every font typeface and size I threw at it. Anything it didn't recognize was saved as a graphic (so spaghetti stains got preserved perfectly). I'd recommend it.
Edit: Oh yeah, it can import most graphic formats, and has an advanced greyscale recognition option so your graphics get saved properly.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage