Retromags.com Looking for a New Home/Owner

Discussion of scanning, archiving, and printing things such as magazines, manuals, video captures, and game covers
E-Day

Retromags.com Looking for a New Home/Owner

Post by E-Day »

Hi,

I'm E-Day, and I currently run Retromags. Phillyman started it in 2005, and in 2010 gave ownership to me because he didn't have the time or drive to run the site anymore. Now, I curently find myself in a similar position. With a young family and lots of things to do, I no longer have the time it takes to run the site properly. Running a site with a forum requires a lot of attention, and I do not have that attention to give the site.

So I am looking for someone dedicated with the time to take over ownership. I will still be a member of the site and am willing to help out in any way possible if needed, and will continue to scan magazines for the site. But I can no longer run it. At this point whether someone wants to run it as a stand-alone site or as a sub-section of their own site is of no consequence.

We have stayed out of the bullseye of most publishers by adopting certain policies, and it will be completely up to you if you want to continue with them or not. You will get ownership over the site, the hosting account, the email addresses, and any other pertanent things that I cannot think of at the moment.
Metal Jesus
128-bit

Re: Retromags.com Looking for a New Home/Owner

Post by Metal Jesus »

Were you using MegaUpload for the majority of your downloads? It would seem that since that site is now gone from FBI seizure, most of your content would be gone too, correct?
gtmtnbiker
Next-Gen

Post by gtmtnbiker »

Metal Jesus wrote:Were you using MegaUpload for the majority of your downloads?

That's correct.
E-Day

Post by E-Day »

Metal Jesus wrote:Were you using MegaUpload for the majority of your downloads? It would seem that since that site is now gone from FBI seizure, most of your content would be gone too, correct?

Yes, we were. Previously, Phillyman had everything on the site's server. But eventually HostGator decided to snoop around, and stated that all the files had to be deleted before they would turn the site back on. So Phillyman bought a "lifetime" membership to MegaUpload, and we spent a decen amount of time changing all the links to point to it. Now that it's gone, I am moving stuff back to the site's server. This time it is with Dreamhost, and this time the files are encrypted and named only with numbers. I am sure they will catch on at some point, but hopefully these tactics will delay that.

It was that, or go to the publishers and ask for permission to host this stuff, which would probably lead to us not being able to host anything. I am not at the point where I am ready to risk crippling the site in that manner.
gtmtnbiker
Next-Gen

Post by gtmtnbiker »

Retromags is having a 2012 donation drive to fund site costs for the next year. Please consider contributing.

http://www.retromags.com/forums/index.php?