Discussion of scanning, archiving, and printing things such as magazines, manuals, video captures, and game covers
racketboy
Site Admin

Re: Fake / Reproduction Nintendo Game Boxes?

by racketboy Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:14 pm

I wouldn't mind buying fakes as long as they are good and labeled as reproductions.
It might bring down the values just a hair of the real thing, but it would make it easy for us mere mortals to have a nice-looking collection without spending much.
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:16 pm

racketboy wrote:I wouldn't mind buying fakes as long as they are good and labeled as reproductions.
It might bring down the values just a hair of the real thing, but it would make it easy for us mere mortals to have a nice-looking collection without spending much.

Well there's always UGCs and TheCoverProject I suppose.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:21 pm

AppleQueso wrote:
racketboy wrote:I wouldn't mind buying fakes as long as they are good and labeled as reproductions.

Well there's always UGCs and TheCoverProject I suppose.

But I don't have a good printer, nor the tools to cut and assemble cardboard like that. I can handle case inserts if I had a good printer, but not cardboard boxes.
Zing
Next-Gen

by Zing Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:53 pm

From what I have seen of homemade boxes, you can almost immediately tell by the seams along the edges.
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:06 pm

Zing wrote:From what I have seen of homemade boxes, you can almost immediately tell by the seams along the edges.

Do they look cheap/bad, or just not like authentics?
What I meant though in my comment above is I don't mind people selling them, but don't sell them without saying in the description that they aren't authentic. (like the Earthbound eBay link seems a bit too good to be true.)
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:22 pm

I have a reproduction of Recca including the box and full color manual, and the only thing that would set me off to thinking it was fake (assuming I didn't know) would be the english text on the back of the box, and that it is so mint.

Some other people may make their boxes poorly, so that they are noticably repros, but some people do such a good job that I personally would be hard-pressed to find a flaw.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:29 pm

vlame wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/EARTHBOUND-BOX-AND-MANUAL-USA-SNES-/290624122191?pt=UK_PC_Video_Games_Video_Games_JS&hash=item43aa8c2d4f#ht_521wt_1348

i feel like this one is fake.

Definitely. The front of the box has all that barren black space. If one reads the description does say 'custom' down there for the people paying attention.
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:23 pm

racketboy wrote:I can handle case inserts if I had a good printer, but not cardboard boxes.

I don't have a good printer either, I just go to kinko's.
flojocabron
Next-Gen

by flojocabron Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:17 am

There are fake gba carts and some of these come in fake boxes as well. They have a strange, glossy shine to them. They have a "dont look right" feel to them.

I've seen these fakes around. So beware of any Pokemon and Mario games that are complete in box. Take a close look.
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
Mechblue
128-bit

by Mechblue Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:07 pm

So getting back from a retro convention I saw some one who made reproduction game boxes, most were for reproduction games but I was kind of disturbed by one game box...

Earthbound.

He had nearly 100% identical NTSC SNES Earthbound boxes. If you saw this online, there are almost no tells that it is a repro. Even in person it looks original, paper weight is close image is sharp and clear. I would say the easiest tell that having now looked at some real boxes is the inside of the repro box is bright white, original ones are more of a gray. Be a bit hard to tell online but I guess if you see a box that's a bit too good to be true it could be a repro. :(
TEKTORO wrote:That looks mad fake bro. :/
Return to Archiving & Repro - Documentation and History