Discussion of scanning, archiving, and printing things such as magazines, manuals, video captures, and game covers
Mechblue
128-bit

Fake / Reproduction Nintendo Game Boxes?

by Mechblue Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:10 am

I'm just curious if there are people out there making good quality reproductions of game boxes and in trying to get items to be complete if I should be on the look out for fakes / reproductions?

I got some NES boxes in a trade and they look a little too nice. Materials appear correct and no strange cuts or misprints. I'm just kind of suspicious of how near mint some of them are. If it is a fake then some one took the time to make an amazingly good one.

So has anyone come across really nice fakes or reproductions? or is there nothing for me to worry about?
TEKTORO wrote:That looks mad fake bro. :/
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Re: Fake / Reproduction Nintendo Game Boxes?

by CFFJR Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:35 am

I've never heard of fake boxes. I would imagine that most buyers wouldn't care enough to justify the effort it would take to create fakes. I could be very wrong, but again, I've never heard of it.

If it makes you feel any better, I've also come across some NES games cib that were in such fantastic shape they looked like they were just unwrapped. In my case, the guy who had them was the original owner, had bought them in the 80s, and kept them well preserved all these years.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:13 am

I've seen a crazy amount of boxes made for repro games, but never seen any fakes for retail games before. I suppose that's the nature of the internet though, since people are making homemade boxes for their repro carts, people will catch on to make more money.

Just take a look at how some of these repro boxes look though...

If I were gonna be on the lookout for buying fakes, here's a few things I would look for. Firstly, most of these are home made, so I would check the color and overall quality of the print. Of course, people can have really nice printers, but it would be the easiest thing to spot if it was printed on a $30 Wal Mart printer. Secondly, knowing how the dude above makes his boxes, I would check for seams and the material used. He prints the box art on two pages (I think) so there's a seam somewhere.Then he glues it to the material he uses for the actual box, so it's two layers. THAT should be easy to spot.

Kagami is actually a member here. Maybe if he spots this thread he'll let you in on tips to spot fakes.

My Sale Thread - I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!
irixith
Next-Gen

by irixith Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:54 am

Those are some beautiful reproductions, especially the Final Fantasy ones. The SOM2 one, the text looks like cheap Wordart, so I don't like the design so much. Still though, box, manual and map, that's ridiculous and a great job.
Hazerd
Next-Gen

by Hazerd Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:45 am

irixith wrote:Those are some beautiful reproductions, especially the Final Fantasy ones. The SOM2 one, the text looks like cheap Wordart, so I don't like the design so much. Still though, box, manual and map, that's ridiculous and a great job.

that "wordart" is the actual font on the game menu.
avrame
128-bit

by avrame Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:21 pm

Hazerd wrote:
irixith wrote:Those are some beautiful reproductions, especially the Final Fantasy ones. The SOM2 one, the text looks like cheap Wordart, so I don't like the design so much. Still though, box, manual and map, that's ridiculous and a great job.

that "wordart" is the actual font on the game menu.

Just because it was used by the translation team doesn't mean it doesn't look right:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... _Cover.jpg

They attempted to match the texturing of the original splash, but the font they used could have been better.
If you aren't having a good time, why are you playing?
Mechblue
128-bit

by Mechblue Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:36 pm

Thanks, lots of good advice here. I'd imagine some folks wouldn't spend the time to make fake boxes unless it was an obscenely rare game that would justify the cost of time and materials to make a unmistakable fake. If it wasn't for the amazing condition I wouldn't question it.

I'll have to dig out my other CIB nes games and compare, but at this point since you guys seem to indicate its unlikely I'm guessing then it is real. Which is amazing considering it looks like some one opened a sealed copy and then sold the box. :shock:

PS: white NES carts look AMAZING. why did they do this back in the day? Also I think that mother cart should be black. 8)
TEKTORO wrote:That looks mad fake bro. :/
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:48 pm

Famicom carts are all different colors. The Final Fantasy Famicom carts are white and look just as good. I think that's where Kogami got the idea from to make the cart white. But yes, looks very good.

My Sale Thread - I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!
Chris Leach
128-bit

by Chris Leach Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:29 pm

is anyone here revealing what program they find easiest for the layout of the nes box reproductions?

I got a lot of multi carts and reproductions that Id like to make boxes for.....
vlame
Next-Gen

by vlame Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:24 pm

^^ My Available List ^^
My B/S/T list
I also rent and sell PS2, Wii and XBOX softmod-kits and I collect DVD movies let me know what you have.
Return to Archiving & Repro - Documentation and History