History of Copy Protection - Action Replay replaced by DLC

Discussion of scanning, archiving, and printing things such as magazines, manuals, video captures, and game covers
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: History of Copy Protection and the DRM Future of Gaming

Post by CRTGAMER »

Updated the OP with BlueRay information.

Evildeadmanwalking77 was having problems getting a BlueRay movie to play. The solution was to have an Internet connection with a memory card!

I am curious if the movie would play on another BlueRay player or a PS3 with the Internet disabled. Perhaps just the blank SD Card is needed. Certain BlueRay movies try to access BD-Live online right at the start up. Will movies eventually require online authentication, I mentioned earlier?

The work around solution is insert a memory card and disable BD-Live from the in movie setup menu. Not sure, but I think the disable BD-Live settings will remain in the SD card.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Apple Tracking iPAD Users - History of Copy Protection

Post by CRTGAMER »

Last edited by CRTGAMER on Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: History of Copy Protection - Disc replaced by downloads

Post by CRTGAMER »

CRTGAMER posted over a year ago wrote:This reminds me of arguments that swirled around the old “DIVX DVD” technology that Circuit City lost so much money on so many years ago; DIVX DVD playback could be deactivated remotely for non-payment, but Circuit City could never convince folks that mistaken de-activation was impossible.

Digital Copy Download Movies
Just the movie, no bonus tracks or special features. Great for saving room on the download. A one time DRM install requires an online authentication code to enable the movie. The download cannot be transfered once the single use code is activated. The irony is some purchased movies have the entire digital download right in the disc. Locked out once the code is used or expires.

Digital Copy was a nice bonus to an OWNER of a purchased movie. Just like downloadable games have taken a stake in the market, how many are ready to "own" the movie as a download only?

http://news.cnet.com/posts/?keyword=digital+rights+management

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31001_3-20027507-261.html

Will Hollywood's 'UltraViolet' plan replace the DVD?

A group of stakeholders in the entertainment industry are poised to make a important sales pitch to consumers concerning the way they buy and watch movies and TV shows.

Warner Bros. Entertainment, Netflix, Microsoft, Hewlett-Packard, and Best Buy are among the members of a consortium called the Digital Entertainment Content Ecosystem, or DECE, which has come up with a set of standards and specifications designed to make approved digital content playable on certified devices. DECE calls the technology UltraViolet.

DECE announced this evening at the 2011 CES in Las Vegas that it expects companies that have licensed UltraViolet to begin rolling out products and services beginning this summer. DECE said it expects UltraViolet will appear in the United Kingdom and Canada later in the year. If you believe that the DVD and physical media are in their twilight years, then UltraViolet's backers appear to be laying the groundwork for the next home-video format.

"The DVD was the most successful consumer product launch ever in history...it was an open platform, meaning there was one standard, every manufacturer made it, all the content on the planet was available for it. We don't see that model currently.
--Barry McCarthy, former Netflix CFO

Gizmodo wrote: http://gizmodo.com/234220/breaking-wal+ ... ix-studios

Breaking! Wal-Mart First to Offer Digital Movies From All “Big Six” Studios
Interrupting my sleep and scoring a major coup in digital distribution—one not even his Jobsness has pulled off (yet)—Wal-Mart has become the first (and thus far, only) digital distributor to go into business with all six major studios: Walt Disney, Warner Brothers, Paramount, Sony, 20th Century Fox and Universal will all be selling digital movies at its online store.

Movies will run from $12.88 to $19.88 on the day the DVD drops, while older flicks start at $7.50. All movies will have roughly the same price as the actual DVD at Wal-Mart stores, though. This is also the deal's biggest flaw in our view—why pay almost what you'd pay for the actual DVD? Intriguingly mentioned is the possibility of discounts for people who buy both DVDs and digital videos.

It will also have TV shows from Comedy Central, CW, FX, Logo, MTV and Nickelodeon—all Viacom networks, so maybe we'll see CBS in the mix? TV shows run a bit cheaper than iTunes, at $1.96 a pop. Altogether, it will offer "access to 3,000 productions," though there's no indication as to how that's divided between movies and TV shows.

Topping it off, Wal-Mart has recruited HP to design the store and ostensibly make it more user-friendly than its standard site. We tried getting in to scope it out, but right now it appears to walled off. This is a huge win for Wal-Mart, but it remains to be seen if the Wal-Mart name can drive the market to new heights (with lower prices to boot), or conversely, if it winds up driving people away. Either way, begun the download wars have. – Matt Buchanan

fastbilly1 wrote:I will say that thinking the industry is not going to go streaming/download only is foolish. Every media industry is going that way. Hulu and Netflix has caused cable providers to loose roughly 15% of their residential customers since launch. 15% doesnt sound like alot, but if we take Comcast as an example, that is more than 3 million customers, no longer paying them $20-$200 a month for tv service. Note why Comcast bought NBC which owns alot of Hulu. I was talking with Ralph Bakshi (big animator from the 70s) a month or two ago about this and he said the same thing, as did Robert Shaye (founder of New Line Cinema). It might not be the next generation of games, but give it two and it is inevitable that download will become the primary form of obtaining games, movies, music, and tv shows.

korn16ftl3
64-bit

Re: History of Copy Protection - Disc replaced by downloads

Post by korn16ftl3 »

keep preaching the good word man you didnt even touch base's on the other stupid shit in the TOS's (anti sue laws and the this is not you machine you just rented it bull shit) than again this is an article about DRM.....

i keep praying the game industry back slides into a recession of its own. Im so sick of these fat cat corporations making us update and said update doesn't even necessarily do any thing, or perhaps it removes paid for features like other os (maybe you can add that in your article with the kindle argument). Another thing that urks me is the amount of shovel ware and how many times a AAA title can be beaten into the ground before they totally mess it up or make one completely sick of the thought of a game (COD,BF,Halo,GTA,RE5,ect.).

These games are not good games, they are only good because we were told they were good and our friends were told they were good i dont give 2 craps about an Xplay review or any of that i just originality back new IP's not spin off's, and a game with longer than 8 hrs of game play that does not revolve around MP or an FPS view.

the game industry in my eyes need a complete reboot ;)
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

History of Copy Protection - Action Replay replaced by DLC

Post by CRTGAMER »

I recently came across this game display and thought about how Action Replay is no longer around on current generation consoles due to continual system updates. In a case of irony an unlock DLC only available as a preorder, I started thinking of the float cheat in N64 Banjo Kazooie. I miss Action Replay. It would unlock levels and features. Features that now seem to be DLCs.

Really?! Are you kidding me! This would be an Action Replay code in older consoles!
Attachments
Prototype 2 Cheat DLC.jpg
Prototype 2 Cheat DLC.jpg (219.04 KiB) Viewed 6437 times

CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: History of Copy Protection - Action Replay replaced by D

Post by CRTGAMER »

Updated the OP with J.T.'s information about the latest Steam End User License Agreement Amendment. If one does not agree, the Digital Rental Management games get locked out.

CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

History of Copy Protection - Action Replay replaced by DRM

Post by CRTGAMER »

Thanks to J T's post, I added an interesting DRM History video link to the Guide in the OP. :D