WTB: Saturn/Sega CD/PS1 Longbox cases

Discussion of scanning, archiving, and printing things such as magazines, manuals, video captures, and game covers
dsheinem
Next-Gen

WTB: Saturn/Sega CD/PS1 Longbox cases

Post by dsheinem »

I thought we had a thread on this before, but I can't find it. Does anyone know of a place online where these can be purchased (individually or in bulk)?

I am NOT interested in converting to DVD or universal cases, so that option is out. I'd also like to avoid buying cheap/sports games just for the cases. Has anyone ever found a place to buy these? Anyone know who made them back in the day? Maybe we could ask some company if they have some hanging around? Or to make a special batch from old molds? Maybe we could special order a large lot?
Ziggy

Re: WTB: Saturn/Sega CD/PS1 Longbox cases

Post by Ziggy »

Well unless you already had the molds, getting them special made could be expensive. I was talking with some one that was looking into something similar. He was telling me the molds were very expensive (something like $1200 to make them) and shipping was also an outrageous price. However, each piece was dirt cheap when you get a few hundred made up. And the molds are a one time purchase. I think the molds wear out after X amount of uses, but I don't think they cost nearly as much to be remade compared to the initial cost.

Of course, this was just the price from one manufacture. Maybe others are cheaper?

But if some one was so inclined, they could get them mass produced and sell them on the Racketboy store. They would probably sell good, considering they're easy to break and hard to replace, but it would take a while to break even and start making profit.
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

Post by Mod_Man_Extreme »

Yeah, I really want to do stuff like this, but unless we run some sort of crazy fundraisers or get a donation from an insanely rich member to pool together all the cash needed for the molds then it's not possible.
My Consoles:
Genesis - Nomad - SegaCD - GameGear - Sega Saturn - Dreamcast - NES - SNES - N64 - Gamecube - Wii - Playstation - PSone & LCD - PS2 - PS3 - Xbox - 3DS

Niode wrote:Send him a dodgy cheque. Make it out to Scammy McScammerson.

Check out my sale thread below, NeoGeo MVS carts & Arcade gear wanted!:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11366
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

How would we even get the molds made up? Would we give them a Saturn case and they would make a mold out of it? Or would we need a "schematic" for them?
izdead
32-bit

Post by izdead »

I love the psone long boxes, I wish I had a bunch for the disc only games I have.
systems: SNES, NES, Sega Genisis, Sega CD, N64, PSone, XBOX, XBOX360 (RROD), GameBoy, GBA
Devezu
24-bit

Post by Devezu »

To quickly start off - I do not have a need for this.

Considering the upstart cost is expensive, talks with Nick/Racketboy/Guy that Owns the store (sorry... I do not know his name straight...) could be done to see if he would be willing to sell them. If he gives the OK, those that want it (practically 75% of this forum, seeing how every other post is about the Sega Saturn) could pitch in some money, sort of like a fund raiser. In exchange, Racketboy (sorry again) could have them made, and make a profit off of the cases. In short, we all pay for the moulds, and Racketboy (sorry) will sell the cases at a lower price, with enough quantity to replace all of the cracked ones.

However, Racketboy DOES have some sort of alternative - the softer plastic one-fits-all-sorts-of-cartridges-and-discs-and-disks generic case. have you tried that one?

However, I do understand the importance of authenticity - perhaps the new ones could be made of a more resistant plastic (perhaps a softer plastic, to prevent cracking?)

Edit - Whoops, some posters got ahead of me. More or less the same thing, but longer :wink:
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Racketboy's real name is Nick. Most of us call him Racketboy or Racket for short.
pepharytheworm
Next-Gen

Post by pepharytheworm »

The best thing to do for cases is buy sports game bundles. Get rid of the inserts and there you go. Thats what I do. It roughly cost me 50¢ per case doing it that way, plus you can sell the inserts, cd and booklet for 25¢ and make some of the money back.
Where's my chippy? There's my chippy.
final fight cd
Next-Gen

Post by final fight cd »

you need money to make money.

and if anybody had the money, and was devoted to this project, and got the ball rolling that person would make a killing. not only would they sell like hotcakes on this site, but they would probably sell pretty damn good on ebay. plus, you could sell them to other websites and stores and make even more money. i have searched online for new replacement cases for some time now, and cannot believe nobody is doing this.

than again i know nothing about what it takes to make plastic cases. maybe i am wrong and somebody has already crunched the numbers and figured out making a respectable profit would be next to impossible.
if you took a shit, please put it back
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Well like I was saying before, some one I know looked into getting NES cart shells made up. The molds alone were a few grand, but that wasn't even the worst part. Shipping was gonna be a few hundred as well.