Getting rid of "the attic smell" when collecting old games

Discussion of scanning, archiving, and printing things such as magazines, manuals, video captures, and game covers
aw93053
8-bit

Getting rid of "the attic smell" when collecting old games

Post by aw93053 »

When collecting old gaming magazines or boxed consoles that are 20-30 years old, they will oftentimes smell like an attic / dust . Does anyone have an idea how to quickly get rid of the smell or any tips to limit the amount of smell?
Popular Systems not owned: Neo-Geo / CD(Z), Multi-Mega(CDX), Megadrive 3, Wii, PSP, TurboExpress, SNES2, MegaCD1
Reverend
Next-Gen

Re: Getting rid of "the attic smell" when collecting old games

Post by Reverend »

I got a PS1 in the mail that REEKED of cigarettes. First I wiped it down with a diaper wipe, dried it, and then left it in my garage with a powerful fan blowing on it all day. There was a significant improvement. If that method could put such a dent in a cigarette ravaged console, I think it could drastically improve the smell of other musty things.
superlarz
128-bit

Post by superlarz »

Dont have any advice on the magazines but for consoles I would clean them thoroughly with alchohol wipes and a damp paper towel. Leave them in an area with fresh air. Eventually they wont smell anymore
owned: Atari VCS, Intellivision, ColecoVision, NES, NES2, Sega Master System, Turbografx-16, Genesis/Sega CD Model 1, Genesis/Sega CD Model 2/32x, SNES, Atari Jaguar, Virtual Boy, GBA, 3DO, Saturn, Playstation, PSone, N64, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, PSP, Xbox 360, Wii, PS3
wanted: Cd-I, Neo Geo AES
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

Only weird smelling console I've ever got was a broken 2600 that reaked of pot.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
Ack

Post by Ack »

A buddy of mine worked at a Rhino Games around 2004-2005. He said they once had an Xbox came in that, when they opened the package, you could literally see the pot smoke streaming off of it. Some folks smoke a bit too much, you know?
executioner
Next-Gen

Post by executioner »

What I have is humidity problems, its about 90% here so I put silica gel all around drawers and cabinets were my collection is kept and regularly about every 2-3 months take stuff out of its place and clean up a little. But my games smell very nice.
Consoles: NES, Famicom, SNES, GC, GB DMG, GB Pocket, GBC, GBA, DSI XL, N64, VBoy, NDS, 3DSXL, Wii, SMS, GEN+CD+32X, GG, SAT, DC, WS, WS Color, NGPC, XBOX, 360, PS1, PSone, PS2, PSP, PS3, 3DO, CD-I, NGCD, Actionmax, TG16+CD, TE, PCE-DUO, Odyssey2, Playdia, 2600, Lynx & JAG.
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

Post by Mod_Man_Extreme »

Ack wrote:A buddy of mine worked at a Rhino Games around 2004-2005. He said they once had an Xbox came in that, when they opened the package, you could literally see the pot smoke streaming off of it. Some folks smoke a bit too much, you know?

We had an Xbox come in that had cockroaches in it, needless to say it was not a fun experience.
My Consoles:
Genesis - Nomad - SegaCD - GameGear - Sega Saturn - Dreamcast - NES - SNES - N64 - Gamecube - Wii - Playstation - PSone & LCD - PS2 - PS3 - Xbox - 3DS

Niode wrote:Send him a dodgy cheque. Make it out to Scammy McScammerson.

Check out my sale thread below, NeoGeo MVS carts & Arcade gear wanted!:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11366
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

executioner wrote:What I have is humidity problems, its about 90% here so I put silica gel all around drawers and cabinets were my collection is kept and regularly about every 2-3 months take stuff out of its place and clean up a little. But my games smell very nice.

Another good thing to do in tandem with the silica gel is to get a dehumidifier and place it in your game room to suck out the moisture.
My Consoles:
Genesis - Nomad - SegaCD - GameGear - Sega Saturn - Dreamcast - NES - SNES - N64 - Gamecube - Wii - Playstation - PSone & LCD - PS2 - PS3 - Xbox - 3DS

executioner
Next-Gen

Post by executioner »

Mod_Man_Extreme wrote:
executioner wrote:What I have is humidity problems, its about 90% here so I put silica gel all around drawers and cabinets were my collection is kept and regularly about every 2-3 months take stuff out of its place and clean up a little. But my games smell very nice.

Another good thing to do in tandem with the silica gel is to get a dehumidifier and place it in your game room to suck out the moisture.

I've been meaning to get one. Are rod dehumidifiers any good? They seem portable enough to get them placed anywhere you want very easily and don't want to invest too much on a demuhidifier..
Consoles: NES, Famicom, SNES, GC, GB DMG, GB Pocket, GBC, GBA, DSI XL, N64, VBoy, NDS, 3DSXL, Wii, SMS, GEN+CD+32X, GG, SAT, DC, WS, WS Color, NGPC, XBOX, 360, PS1, PSone, PS2, PSP, PS3, 3DO, CD-I, NGCD, Actionmax, TG16+CD, TE, PCE-DUO, Odyssey2, Playdia, 2600, Lynx & JAG.
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

I wouldn't know what types there are etc..., all I know is that we used to have a dehumidifier in the basement in Jersey before we moved and it kept everything down there nice and dry.
My Consoles: