gaming tvs - recommendations?

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
grittykitty
forever 16-bit

gaming tvs - recommendations?

Post by grittykitty »

by june or july i should be in a new place, and will be in need of a good tv! i'm looking for something not too big (definitely under 25 inches!), and i think an LCD display would be a good idea - especially if i can turn it sideways for ikaruga and the soon-to-come radilgy! however, i would also like to play light gun games (for saturn and dreamcast especially) and i don't believe these would work on an LCD screen (i recently tried the saturn light gun on a small LCD, but with no light response). if anyone has any suggestions/recommendations it would be most appreciated!
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

while they are usually bigger than 25 inches, I've been fond of the flat (really flat -- not just the screen) CRT TVs.

They are a little harder to find, but some of the Best Buy stores stock a 32 inch (somewhere around there) Samsung flat CRT that is HDTV and not too bulky. It was only around $800 or so. I like CRTs since they have higher color quality (blacks are much darker and accurate) and are more affordable.
jemsic
24-bit

Post by jemsic »

My flat panel computer monitor doesn't work with light guns either... House of the Dead 2 just flashes when I pull the trigger.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

I found a special light gun for LCDs etc.
I'll have to dig it up and post it...
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

here it is:
http://www.hkems.com/product/xbox/LCDTopGun.htm

Crappy looking site though...
ravenmgs
24-bit

Post by ravenmgs »

If you can find a Samsung GX or DX TV they really rock for a small gameing tv.
neohx_7
64-bit

Post by neohx_7 »

It really depends if you are gaming on past consoles or future consoles. Get an interlaced standard NTSC TV with up to component video if you want the games to be interlaced properly and look smoothed out. If you get a newer TV like the LVM-37w1 1080p TV that I have.... Then even the Gamecube at 480p looks close to VGA mode on the Dreamcast. (Play SFA3/MVC on a VGA cable to see what your 2D console games really look like) This of course is more true to the pixels, but probably not how game makers though you would see it. Also some HDTVs have lag on deinterlacing composite and s-video connections so watch out for those! It would be nice if more games had a smoothing mode like SF3 on PS2, but instead I'm more likely to fire up DKC in an emulator with all kinds of blitters than play the SNES with the cartrdige sitting in front of me.
shallowgamer
128-bit

Post by shallowgamer »

I wouldn't bank on being able to rotate an LCD for vertical shooters. I have a sharp AQUOS 26" and can't do much with image manipulation. I even (gasp) read the manual. I guess they figured the general public wouldn't be turning their TVs on their side :)

But many shooters let you turn the screen through the options page, so all is not lost.

And like neohx_7 said, your old school stuff is going to look horrible on an HD LCD. Heck, some of my XBOX games look horrible on my LCD.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

shallowgamer wrote:And like neohx_7 said, your old school stuff is going to look horrible on an HD LCD. Heck, some of my XBOX games look horrible on my LCD.

But what about some of the newer Dreamcast shooters (many of which support rotating in the game)

Many of those would look sweet teamed up with a VGA adapter
shallowgamer
128-bit

Post by shallowgamer »

But what about some of the newer Dreamcast shooters (many of which support rotating in the game)

Many of those would look sweet teamed up with a VGA adapter

Good point- does every game that supports VGA list it on the back of the case? I'm looking at my "Under Defeat" case, and I'm not seeing it. Of course, none of it's in English either.