Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

My ideal setup for my room

by Erik_Twice Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:32 am

As you might know, I've been thinking a lot about space lately. Not the big, starry one, but the space I live in and how things are arranged on it.

For quite a long time I thought I wanted a big room, a place to fill with arcade machines and huge, separate areas for each hobby. I dreamed of huge model layouts and a ton of games and other similar stuff. But I've now realized that, well, I don't actually want that and even if I wanted it, I wouldn't actually need it. The need for more space is, mostly, an issue of poor organization and of having stuff we don't actually want. Books we haven't read in 10 years, a dozen Mega Man games we'll "eventually" play and so on.

I've been slowly getting rid of all that stuff I don't actually want. Now it's time to think about the next step: What to do with the stuff I want to keep and how to organize it. At a glance this is the phyisical stuff I need to store and display:

- Two CRT monitors (one hori, one vert)
- My PC
- My consoles, which must be connected to the CRTs
- My model train layout, which is a space-hog
- My game collection
- Small trinkets and minor hobbies

And I need to get all this in my very small room without it being clasuthrophobic, blocking the window or otherwise making a mess.

At a glance, this cannot be done. My room is very small and each of these things has a considerable footprint. But if they are all combined into one piece of furniture they can all fit well. Here's how I want to do it.

Room plan:

Hab1.png
Hab1.png (106.34 KiB) Viewed 13287 times

The actual table is shown in this picture. You can see how the trains and the electronics are combined together. The orange bit hides the keyboard. How the monitors, consoles and the RGB switch are placed is shown to the right.

Hab2.png
Hab2.png (136 KiB) Viewed 13287 times

My main worry here is having the screen at height instead of starting down to it. On one hand, it seems logical, I wish my screen were at a higher height than it already is. On the other, I wonder if it can get tiring over time.

Of course, it doesn't matter. I can't put this stuff in a room without my family killing me. But it's fun to think about it.

What are your thoughts? I'm just bored and thought it would be cool to plan this.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: My ideal setup for my room

by Anapan Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:13 am

I think I can supply some silent cooling fans (free of course), and suggest how to reinforce the console area under. This is a really impressive layout. I'd have to see at least one picture - no matter how bad it's taken with any camera to fully understand what the depth map shows.
I have a lot to say about a main screen's height. I chose mine after careful consideration and several thousand dollar investment for final placement and I really wish I'd put it 2 feet lower, tho I'd choose 1 foot lower with a lower 24" screen as my final answer. My neck hurts unless I'm fully reclined :(
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

by Erik_Twice Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:17 am

Woha, sorry Anapan, didn't see your reply until now!

I truly appreciate the offer but I don't think I would really have an use for them. You are right on the reinforcement, though, the big CRT weights 31 kilograms and the small one weights around 13 if I'm not mistaken.

There's no picture, just this drawing. It's more of something I would love to do than something I can actually turn to reality. I still have to use my bad IKEA table so I don't even have my monitors in my room. My model train layout is smaller and stored elsewhere.

The diagram is a bit hard to understand because the table is C-shaped. The first picture is an aerial view, the monitors are the grey boxes. The second is seen from the from (from the bed, so as to speak) so you don't see the consoles or the inside of the right wing.

--

I think the only way to check the screen height thing is to try it out. Nothing a few books can't fix :)

Thanks a lot for commenting Anapan, I aprpeciate it.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
Forengs77

by Forengs77 Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:23 am

:roll: that may work out for you goodluck :wink:
oralinterest

by oralinterest Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:22 am

This is good setup, also nice job for sketch
Top 15 Best Air Hockey Table Reviews In 2018 - Best Air Hockey Table Guide best place to check if you have interest in table games and air hockey
Return to Game Rooms & Home Theater