CRT TV Shopping Guide

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
racketboy
Site Admin

CRT TV Shopping Guide

Post by racketboy »

I couldn't find an older topic on this, but even if I did, it's a lot different nowadays.
I don't think any of my local pawn shops carry CRTs and I don't think I've seen them at Goodwill lately.

I still have one nice CRT I'm proud of, but I unloaded another one a few years back before by son with born when I ran out of room (I would have a place to store it now, so I'm a little bummed)

Anyway... here's some sub-topics that would be good to include

* Types of models that are great to look out for
* Characteristics to look out for when shopping
* Reasonale price ranges
* Worth ordering online (just local only?)
* Any other tips, tricks, or concerns?

If we can round up enough useful info, this could turn into a nice guide to publish :)
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: CRT TV Shopping Guide

Post by CRTGAMER »

Sony WEGA Trinitron with preference of HD tube over SD tube. I own SD Flat CRTs and a couple 4:3 1080i Trinitrons and have no SD upscale issues. Great all around set for SD and HD video supporting both retro and modern consoles.

Most Thrift Stores no longer carry used CRT TVs. Too heavy to ship at reasonable cost; best option is local pickup with a dwindling supply from Craigs List, Yard Sales and every once in a while a freebie at the curb on garbage day.

Quick Trivia: The last generations of the Sony Trinitron series have TWO RF inputs. One for the Retro Atari and One for TV input. No switch box needed, just the TV remote with the ANT button. Oh and the now obsolete SVideo input! :mrgreen:

Feel free to copy paste parts from my CRT vs LCD Guide.
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=204314#p204314

More Trinitron info here, a unique SD HD combo CRT:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1005514#p1005514

Samsung CRT and Sony PVM internal shot:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1032803#p1032803

Flat Tube WEGA HD CRT KV-32HS500

Last edited by CRTGAMER on Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:17 pm, edited 7 times in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Cool thanks!

Do you even see them on Craigslist and such very often?
Believe it or not, I've actually never used Craigslist
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

racketboy wrote:Cool thanks!

Do you even see them on Craigslist and such very often?
Believe it or not, I've actually never used Craigslist

:shock: Lot of deals you are missing out on. All my CRTs (except first HD CRT bought new at Best Buy) from Craigs List.

Give your local Craigs List a shot, search by CRT, HD CRT, or by name such as Sony, WEGA or Trinitron.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

racketboy wrote:1. Types of models that are great to look out for
2. Characteristics to look out for when shopping
3. Reasonale price ranges
4. Worth ordering online (just local only?)
5. Any other tips, tricks, or concerns?

1. I think the Sony brands are pretty universally considered to be the best. Wega's are, of course, at the top of the list, but standard Trinitrons are going to be a bit easier to find, I think. I remember that when I was looking at them, that the earlier models (before 2004-2005?), were better quality, but I'm not too sure about that.

2. This is probably a no brainer, but I think the first thing anyone interested in gaming, especially for multiple systems, is going to want to look for is how many, and what kind, of video inputs the TV has.

3. Depends on the size. I can still find CRTs in thrift stores around here, and they generally go for between $10-30 for the smaller sets. But I've also come across several Wega's, and those are usually priced around $50 (probably since they weigh about 200 pounds.)

4. I wouldn't buy them online due to the shipping costs. Unless you're looking for a very specific monitor, I don't think it's worth it. Craigslist or even Facebook Marketplace are probably your best bets if the thrift stores around you are bare. Looking just now, I see that someone is trying to dump a 32" Wega near me (no remote! Damn!), so the good CRTs are still out there.

5. Depending on your physical strength and the size of the TV, remember that whenever you go out to pick up your new TV, be sure to bring a friend along to help you heave that sucker into the car :lol:
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Michi wrote:I wouldn't buy them online due to the shipping costs. Unless you're looking for a very specific monitor, I don't think it's worth it. Craigslist or even Facebook Marketplace are probably your best bets if the thrift stores around you are bare. Looking just now, I see that someone is trying to dump a 32" Wega near me (no remote! Damn!), so the good CRTs are still out there.

The Sony TV Remote not an issue, an inexpensive replacement can be found at the Swap Meet, Thrift Store or Online. Sony remotes close to the same era all work for the series, I have used a Sony Plasma TV remote for my Sony CRT. Just be sure if a WEGA with two RF inputs, the replacement remote has the ANT button.

Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Aside from Sony I have a flat screen CRT Daewoo 20 inch as well that has richer colors than my Sony 27 inch CRT flatscreen Trinitron.
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

Post by sevin0seven »

I found most of my CRT TV's (I got 6 of them - 5 in the storage house) from Thrift Stores and Craig List Ads. Their mostly Sony Wegas; one Sharp and Toshiba model. I mainly use the Toshiba 20AF43 model because its compact and it looks great and bright! It has both S-Video and Component connections. Here's a web image of it:

..I even noticed the Game Sack guys used the same model as mine:

8)
Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
marurun

Post by marurun »

If you want an HD CRT, the Panasonic Tau series is even better than the HD Wega, but it is hard to find.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Just make sure that whatever CRT you choose let's you change inputs from the on board buttons:
I have a TV that still works fine... EXCEPT... it lost remote functionality (remotes are fine, even tried a couple universal ones, the IR sensor on the TV is fried).
This wouldn't be a problem for me, but you NEED the remote to change inputs. Thankfully, I have it stuck on the back S-video port right now (best connection that it offers). I CAN switch it to RF if needed through menu channel search option, but I dare not. You would not believe how long it took me to get the remote to register for a half-second just to switch it back.
...just another lost soul...