Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: Talkin' 'bout my new 4K TV

by ElkinFencer10 Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:44 pm

My Gamecube games running through S-video look as good as if not better than when I run them on my Wii through component. I've got cheap component cables, so that might be part of it, but yeah, good S-video on a good TV is hard to top.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:44 am

Exhuminator wrote:I've only seen classic consoles look legit good on HDTVs through a Framemeister. I've never seen any other HDTV's upscaler come close to it. If I was gonna do classic consoles on HDTV, I'd just suck it up and buy one. For now I'm running my classic consoles through s-video on a flat screen CRT. As Sarge said, proper s-video can look damn near as good as component on a CRT, depending on the TV itself. (Also depending on if the end user can properly calibrate a CRT TV's settings, but that's a rarity in and of itself.)

SVideo certainly better then composite for the Chroma Luma separation. Your flat CRT should have Component Input for an even better picture if the game console supports component; that is if you can find Gamecube Component Cables that are not a car payment. If HD CRT and newer console, enable 480p-720p-1080i for a nice surprise. The Gamecube with Component Cables set to 480p a huge improvement.

Classic consoles on HD LCDs and LEDs look like crap, but on an HD CRT no issues!
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:11 am

Strangely enough, that's not really the case on my old Bravia. The SNES hooked up with S-Video almost looks like an emulator's output. It's crazy impressive. Ditto using the component from a Genesis.

I did a little more testing, and the composite is definitely following a different processing path. The TV detects component 240p as 720x240, but there's no detection of resolution at all on the composite, which tells me they're just treating it as a 480i image regardless of what's actually being fed in. I forgot to check the connection to see if it will function without a signal being fed in on red/blue, will probably do that tonight. I'm probably just going to plug in a bare cable, and see what happens.

I actually ended up dropping the sharpness all the way to zero, though. I could still see some post-processing artifacts from having it employed. I also noticed some blurriness on the Wii U, but that actually turned out to be my screen size setting from the other TV. Once I scaled it up to the full extent of the screen, things look great. (By the way, Yoshi's Woolly World looks amazing.)
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:17 am

CRTGAMER wrote:that is if you can find Gamecube Component Cables that are not a car payment

Yep. That's the rub.
CRTGAMER wrote:Classic consoles on HD LCDs and LEDs look like crap

Agreed 100%. I've tried on multiple HDTVs using various converters and cables. Always looks like crap. Unless, as I said earlier, you've got a Framemeister. Totally different world with that.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:46 pm

Exhuminator wrote:
CRTGAMER wrote:that is if you can find Gamecube Component Cables that are not a car payment

Yep. That's the rub.
CRTGAMER wrote:Classic consoles on HD LCDs and LEDs look like crap

Agreed 100%. I've tried on multiple HDTVs using various converters and cables. Always looks like crap. Unless, as I said earlier, you've got a Framemeister. Totally different world with that.

I moved my Wii (running component cables) from an HD LDC to my HD CRT, and the difference is remarkable. It may not be a retro console, but the Wii's video output is definitely like one in that it just looks much better on a CRT. Don't get me wrong, it looks fine on an LCD or LED if you have good cables, but I think it looks much better on a CRT at the same resolution.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:40 pm

So, an interesting quirk of this 4K TV with 240p sources: with the Wii, it looks very good, no issues with smoothness or anything. This was tested by using WiiMednafen and enabling double-strike on multiple consoles, including the Sega Genesis.

However, using an actual Genesis through my SCART-to-Component setup introduces a small hitch in the display. Like it's just displaying a prior frame before straightening out. It's a little bit like the hitch you can see if you've got a Game Boy Player. This looks like it's happening every second, so on the 60Hz boundary. I'm not entirely sure if this is an issue with the Genesis video output itself, or the converter box. I think the only way I'd be able to suss that out is to get a SCART cable for another system I own, and since I've been thinking about getting one for the SNES, now might be the time to actually do it.
Kaneda
8-bit

by Kaneda Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:01 am

Sarge wrote:
So for those that don't know, "sharpness" is something left over from the old CRT days. It doesn't operate like it did then. It applies a sort of filter to the image on newer HDTV sets. Samsung sets it to 50 for Game Mode. This produces an effect not unlike an Eagle filter, and also adds a sort of halo effect around stuff. It ain't pretty. After some experimentation, I came to the conclusion that 15-20 was around the right setting, and some information I saw somewhere confirms this. Things look so much better. In fact, I'd say the 720p is clearer than my actual native 720p set... which is probably a function of that set not actually being a true 720p, but 1366x768. Lag times look super good, too, around 26ms.

*edit This is the reason I will stick with Samsung TVs from now on for general gaming, some of the other brands don't have the game mode feature.

The main thing Game Mode does is reduce the lag from the HDMI input- obviously you won't notice lag when watching a film (providing the audio is in sync) but when I hooked up my Macbook Pro to play some Streetfighter II in openemu the character moves happened a few hundred m/s after the button presses; Game mode drastically reduced this!

The sharpness setting on CRTs was awful- it added noise to the signal since it's impossible to add extra signal to improve the picture, it was always better left at a low setting. The biggest improvement could be made by reducing the contrast, people usually have it set way too high for CRTs.
Do not repeat the tactics which have gained you one victory, but let your methods be regulated by the infinite variety of circumstances.
AznKhmerBoi
Next-Gen

by AznKhmerBoi Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:41 pm

My classic consoles saturn, snes, n64 and ps2 are connected to 65inch 4k Samsung TV. I use a svideo to HDMI converter and I think it looks fine. Well, to be honest the PS2 came out the best. I do have a 32inch sony crt tv next to it, which I switch back and forth between. Yes the classic console definitely looks a lot better on the crt, but sometime i just want play on a bigger screen.

Tokyo extreme racer on ps2 on 4k is just relaxing to play at night. :mrgreen:
PSN- jacktsang05
WiiU- jacktsang05

stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:45 pm

AznKhmerBoi wrote:My classic consoles saturn, snes, n64 and ps2 are connected to 65inch 4k Samsung TV. I use a svideo to HDMI converter and I think it looks fine. Well, to be honest the PS2 came out the best. I do have a 32inch sony crt tv next to it, which I switch back and forth between. Yes the classic console definitely looks a lot better on the crt, but sometime i just want play on a bigger screen.

Tokyo extreme racer on ps2 on 4k is just relaxing to play at night. :mrgreen:

i have the same tv but use a scart to hdmi converter with both my saturn and genesis and they look good to me as well. im glad this tv has a 4:3 for hdmi, some don't. i haven't really "felt" any lag when playing either.
Hazerd
Next-Gen

by Hazerd Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:20 pm

I always goto rtings.com for tv reviews, they are very thorough, looks like the JU6500 is decent for gaming!

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ju6500
Return to Game Rooms & Home Theater