Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Where to buy PVMs?

by Erik_Twice Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:15 am

Basically that. How can I find a PVM?
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Why I stopped loving JRPGs
http://eriktwice.com/
bmoc
Next-Gen

Re: Where to buy PVMs?

by bmoc Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:07 am

Craigslist, electronic recycling companies, A/V companies (that are pulling out old equipment), other video game collectors, sometimes ebay if the cost + shipping isn't too outrageous.
JoeAwesome
128-bit

by JoeAwesome Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:34 am

bmoc wrote:Craigslist, electronic recycling companies, A/V companies (that are pulling out old equipment), other video game collectors, sometimes ebay if the cost + shipping isn't too outrageous.

Don't forget to try searching ebay for results within distance. Sometimes someone locally will sell it through ebay rather than use other sites, and you can usually schedule a pick-up to save on shipping.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

by Erik_Twice Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:06 am

Do you guys just shift through endless CRT listings? If you look for "PVM" the prices are outrageous.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:41 pm

I am just waiting for the next person within 8 hours of me on the forums to put up a bunch for sale. I need 2 more 8 inches PVMs...come on bmoc and Aaron.
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:26 pm

I just occasionally use searchtempest.com to look through Craigslist ads for "PVM". Before I found my 29" PVMs, I was using IFTTT to give me email alerts for local Craigslist ads.

Fastbilly, I normally pass over the 8" kind but if you are serious, I will keep an eye out for you. Are you still in the Atlanta area? I can't remember if you moved or not.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

by Erik_Twice Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:02 pm

Btw, are these kind of professional monitors fit for retrogaming? While they have RGB inputs, it seems to me that being computer screens means their resolution might be too high. I'm judt curious because they are cheap. http://www.adslzone.net/postt278429.html.

I wish I had a 29 incher! They must be incredibly rare. How much do they weight? 200 kg? Seems insane hahaha
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:50 pm

Computer monitors are likely expecting VGA which is 31kHz. RGB from old video game consoles is almost always 15kHz. I don't think it will work.

And yes, it took me several years to acquire my 29 inchers. Actually they are 27" viewable if you measure them but the manual says 29". I'm going with 29" since it sounds more impressive. :wink: Incidentally, the manual says it weighs about 114 lbs. That feels about right. They are light enough that I can lift them but heavy enough that I don't want to. :lol:
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

by KalessinDB Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:01 pm

Erik_Twice wrote:Btw, are these kind of professional monitors fit for retrogaming? While they have RGB inputs, it seems to me that being computer screens means their resolution might be too high. I'm judt curious because they are cheap. http://www.adslzone.net/postt278429.html.

I wish I had a 29 incher! They must be incredibly rare. How much do they weight? 200 kg? Seems insane hahaha

Even my 36" Wega doesn't weigh 200 kg and they're known to be heavier than most CRTs. It's "only" a touch over 100 kg.

Also yeah, 31khz/15khz issues will probably be the issue, not resolution. Part of the reason CRTs are preferable in some ways to LCD is because they don't really care about resolutions nearly as much. I know the old Commodore monitors are used sometimes by people.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:02 am

+1 for Commodore Amiga monitor!

Ordered mine from Amibay - a great guy in Whales (UK). It's a better buy than the PVM I got off Ebay from the US with 1/2 the diagonal size.
When the shipping costs and taxes had cleared, the 13" 1084 monitor, shipped economy (boat) in bubble wrap from England to Canada was about the same as a 6.5" Sony PVM rack-mount cost from USA.
Colors are the exact same, brightness and levels are the same, tho with that small a screen, there's something weird going on with the aperture grille. You could never see scanlines at that size, but there are some vertical lines that look like crap.
^that's it about the PVM
About the 1084 monitor:
Even though it's a UK screen, the knobs and buttons make it accept all my American consoles through Composite and RGB (it's got a SCART port on the back because it was made for that) - one connector seems like it'd take S-video if I made or bought the right adapter. It's less tempermental about weird signals than most screens I have. I built and soldered a VGA to SCART cable for it (I know an guy on ebay that makes them cheap now) and put together a computer to run every game off of it with completely accurate video output - the same the console would provide. I never built box to enclose all of this stuff so it's just piles of wires and hardware that work exactly how I'd want them to.

I regularly fire up my old toaster NES on the 1084 because it renders composite on it's tiny 13" screen better than any other CRT (or other screen) I own.

There's a Wiki on these things somewhere...

https://www.c64-wiki.com/index.php/Commodore_1084

So yeah - Best screen I've ever owned. I currently have 21 dedicated output screens hooked up all over my house of all types I can find (6 facing me right now, two turned on) and most get used at least 5 times a week. If I owned certain models of PVM or BVM, that would not be the case - depending on the model, at least two of mine would go in recycling. The thing is even tho I want one, I have not been able to reconcile the price of a 15, 18, 20 or 21 inch that isn't broken when I look for them.

I bought the 1084 monitor because my friend has had a 1084S in his room from his friend's amiga he got for a present for many years. It's an Amiga 1200, and we used to (well, still do pretty often) play his consoles on it. Until then, even though I'd played everyone's videogame consoles every chance I got on anyone and their aunt and girlfriend's dad's screens, this was the best I'd ever seen. I was like the first time I saw the VGA resolution 320x200x256 on a 14" VGA screen with the palette rotating.

Damn, I was going somewhere with that but I lost my train of thought. Now I've gotta hook my dos computer to my 1084 and blow up some Sectoids in X-Com.

Oh yeah, the 1084S has Stereo sound! You can play Sega Saturn on it in stereophonic mode! One time I played Pac-Man CE through it.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Return to Game Rooms & Home Theater