Enough about picture quality, what about sound?

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
McBee

Re: Enough about picture quality, what about sound?

Post by McBee »

chuckster wrote: The 2.1 PC speakers I had did a fine job, but I implore you seek out the best audio you can, because it is worth looking at almost as much as the video quality.

Totally agree with you! Everybody notice the music more when they play on my setup :D
marurun

Post by marurun »

I think a 2.1 setup with bass crossover allowed is pretty good. My .1 starts super low, so I need to have full range speakers for my 2.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
chuckster
32-bit

Post by chuckster »

marurun wrote:I think a 2.1 setup with bass crossover allowed is pretty good. My .1 starts super low, so I need to have full range speakers for my 2.

Oh yeah, nothing wrong with 2.1 if you have quality stereo speakers and pay attention to the crossover point. The Genesis can lay down some wild bass.

Not to derail from retro discussion, but I'm playing through Doom 2016 and it's music is great and perfectly matches the gameplay.

What are some good VGM tracks that you'd recommend as test tracks for quality sound setups? Mine has to be Go Straight from Streets of Rage 2 and pretty much all of the Super Mario 64 Soundtrack.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

chuckster wrote:What are some good VGM tracks that you'd recommend as test tracks for quality sound setups? Mine has to be Go Straight from Streets of Rage 2 and pretty much all of the Super Mario 64 Soundtrack.

Streets of Rage 2 is the best place to start for sure.

I also recommend Comix Zone. 8)