Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Re: How many of you are actually still using CRT TVs?

by SuperDerpBro Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:27 am

Jagosaurus wrote:I just ordered this bad boy. Priced well from an experienced CRT seller. I saw multiple great shipping reviews & they mentioned CRT packing in description.

Who? :)
Child owned from a INTERNET GAS filled home.
JoeAwesome
128-bit

by JoeAwesome Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:11 am

Upscale to 480p via VGA gets overlooked because of purists :lol:

The kicker is, PVM/BVMs are limited in size, and cost rises exponentially with size. A CRT or LCD with VGA is cheap, and especially with LCDs, size is high.

But the thirst for PVMs is real :wink:
IrishNinja
64-bit

by IrishNinja Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:00 pm

32" (i think?) sony trinotron thankfully still kicking, it's a late model with component out so the RGB converter works great!
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:34 pm

So I think I finally got my optimal contrast & brightness settings down on the new CRT monitor. Was hard to reach that balance. The darks get black QUICK and I forgot CRTs can wash out brights pretty fast if too high. Took some testing on multiple games & tinkering but got there.

@Joe, I actually forgot one of my LCDs supports VGA. Need to test that.

The P/BVM rabbit hole looks intense. There's a guy reverse engineering some variants of the component add on cards. Cool to see the scene getting new attention.

@Derp, not a retro community member. I scoured ebay for sellers with multiple CRTs up & good feedback mentioning packing. I even tried to make sure it wasn't cross country. Yes... I was so impressed I took pics :lol: they used spray foam to mold around it :shock:

I had already removed top styrofoam in this one

The monitor was triple wrapped so no foam on it
My Mod Threads
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:53 pm

I've tried calling several places only to be told that they no longer work on CRTs or to find they're no longer in business. But I have some leads and connections that may eventually allow me to it getting repaired.

In the meantime, I found someone who's willing to give me a little 13" Magnavox they had, which will be suitable for now. Plus I got a RetroTINK 2X Pro so I can now play my games on my HDTV; it's good, but it's not the same...
Maybe I should just start hunting for a PVM.
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

by SuperDerpBro Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:03 am

@Jagosaurus Nice shipping! Again.... who? :P
Child owned from a INTERNET GAS filled home.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:46 pm

If you really want to know seller, PM me so we're not sharing with rando lurkers.

We had a full lobby on Halo 2 over Xlink Kai tonight. We were a bit short when I took this, but ended up at 16. Awesome using the CRT for game night.

Here's a little Halo CRT love

I got quarantine board on this one...

Have Halo 2 LAN running on OGX & 360 on VGA CRT & HDMI LCD respectively.

Then Halo 3 LAN running on 360 & XB1. Need to get my 360 running 640x480 VGA (via $20 Tendak VGA adapter). I was switching inputs on LCD testing here 8)... versus running 360 from HDMI TV in other room over wireless.

I'm all wired up, cat 6 here. Xbox consoles into a network switch.

My Mod Threads
Hazerd
Next-Gen

by Hazerd Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:12 am

Have a 27 inch Sony Wega Trinitron with component, at this point i have it just to have it and rarely ever use it.

Think i would like a smaller TV around 14 inch, i have a Samsung flatscreen CRT that is actually 14-15 inch, but dont have anywhere to hook it up in my gaming area unless i was too get rid of the boat anchor Trinitron.

Grew up on a small 13 inch Mitsubishi TV where the SNES/N64 were hooked up by coaxial, so playing on a bigger CRT bothers me, like its more blurry or too much scanline?
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:23 pm

Did some tinkering over the weekend with colors. Wow.... :shock: it's even better in person.

Hazerd wrote:Have a 27 inch Sony Wega Trinitron with component, at this point i have it just to have it and rarely ever use it.

Think i would like a smaller TV around 14 inch, i have a Samsung flatscreen CRT that is actually 14-15 inch, but dont have anywhere to hook it up in my gaming area unless i was too get rid of the boat anchor Trinitron.

Grew up on a small 13 inch Mitsubishi TV where the SNES/N64 were hooked up by coaxial, so playing on a bigger CRT bothers me, like its more blurry or too much scanline?

Have you tried any of the Retrovison component cables for the older consoles? Finding a smaller CRT today with component can be tricky. At that 13 inch mark, s video can be a hunt.

I had a 14 inch or so CRT growing up. I switched to a 27 inch RCA with component in the 6th gen & loved it. I do understand what you mean on the older consoles though.

My current set up is a 17" with a 16" listed as playable. I'd have trouble going smaller personally.
My Mod Threads
Blu
Next-Gen

by Blu Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:25 pm

So many awesome things have happened in this thread. Jago, that Gateway monitor setup rocks! Very clean and awesome looking. Nice!

I stumbled upon a FREE Sony Trinitron (20") in my neighborhood about two months ago. Found out its a model that can be RGB modded fairly affordably. It won't be a PVM level of resolution, but it gets to a quality resembling an arcade monitor, which I'm cool with. Thankfully there's a guy within the area that can do the mod on commission. When this all blows over that is.
Return to Game Rooms & Home Theater