How many of you are actually still using CRT TVs?

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: How many of you are actually still using CRT TVs?

Post by Anapan »

My bad; I posted that HDCRT does 540i natively; What I meant was 540p (and 1080i). Yeah, all of them I've owned did some scaling and post-processing to everything. It was ugly on anything except Film and TV.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

Ziggy587 wrote:
Are you saying you don't want to get a PVM because you would then have to invest money in RGB cables and modding consoles that don't output RGB? Well how about this as an option: You don't have to use RGB for every console and you'd still have an awesome CRT if you get a PVM. My PVM has composite, S-Video and RGB inputs. Later and/or better models also have YPbPr component. Right now I have almost everything hooked up to it with RGB cables. But my NES is still composite (I have the NESRGB kit but haven't had a chance to install it yet) and I don't mind using it that way. Every now and then I'll swap my Genesis to composite just to appreciate the fake transparency and smearing "composhit" dithering effects. And I was using composite for my PC Engine when I first got it, until I got the SSDS3.

My point is, just because you have a PVM doesn't mean you can only use RGB signals. If you get a PVM, then acquire the RGB cables slowly over time. Get RGB cables right away for the console(s) you care about most. Join the mailing list for retrogamingcables.co.uk and take advantage of sales and promo codes (I waited for a Black Friday promo code to pick up the last cable I got from them). You can still enjoy composite and S-Video on the PVM until you eventually upgrade. Or you might realize that you don't even care to upgrade. And as for modding, very few consoles need to be modified. I guess the big two are the NES and N64. Most other mainstream consoles (post NES) output RGB stock.

I'd also like to point out that the quality of the cables matters less on a CRT than an HDTV and a scaler. It seems like it would matter more, but I guess upscaling the image also upscales the problems. You can use lower quality RGB cables on your PVM and get fine results, just be sure the cables are wired correctly! I have a really cheap Genesis RGB cable that I got from someone that said he had horrible results using it with a scaler. I use it with my PVM, and aside from audio hum on a white screen, it looks great! So don't be afraid to pick up some cheap RGB cables from eBay. Again, just be sure they're wired correctly for the console and region.

But if you just want to go the consumer CRT route, that's fine too! For retro game consoles, using composite and S-Video on a consumer CRT is a million times better than the highest quality RGB cables with the best upscaler and lowest lag HDTV. The CRT is also infinitely easier to set up.

I have a Framemeister, but I got sick of how complicated it is to use. I didn't have access to my stash of CRTs, so I picked up a 13" Sony Trinitron (bubble screen consumer CRT) that only had a composite input. And I enjoyed the hell out of using it! So much so that I decided to pick up the 13" PVM that I have now. I was always scared to get a 13" screen, but if you can sit close to it then it doesn't matter at all. My point is, my 13" bubble screen with only composite CRT was so much more enjoyable than an HDTV.

For VGA inputs on a consumer CRT, as far as I know that only exists on those HD CRT. But I would stay away from those. Am I right in assuming you're only asking about VGA for the Dreamcast? Well, a consumer CRT will only do 480i, so you don't have to worry about VGA for the Dreamcast in this case. Just use S-Video or RGB.

Older model CRTs wont have S-Video inputs, but it's very common on later models. Component is also very common on post 2000 models. If you hunt a Sony Wega (that's their flat screen Trinitron models) I'm pretty sure they will all have S-Video and component inputs.

Man, what a quality post. Thank you Ziggy! To answer a few of the areas that you had to guess on:

1. None of my consoles are modded. I'd opt for
2. You're absolutely right that Dreamcast is my VGA console.
3. My main worry is that I would have to do a lot of tinkering. Tinkering of which I have little background knowledge on. If the answer is yes, I'd likely want something closer to plug and play.

I still have a 20" Toshiba that has three composite inputs. However the audio and video is starting to get a little wonky on it. So at this point I'm trying to shop around and see what the best option might be for the long run. I'd love for something in the 19-20" range, but I'd be content getting a 14inch. Really I'm not picky, just looking to have something with some longevity. So again, thanks so much for helping me see the options out there.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

JoeAwesome wrote:What I hear is HDCRTs downscale from 1080i, and that's how lag is introduced. I didn't notice it much in my gaming, but I didn't play many shmups or rhythm games on it (if at all).

That HDCRT has recently been let go, but finally, I've found some PVMs at a fair price. The picture's sooooo nice, but I've got to move at least one on. HMU Jag :lol:

I got rid of my giant 27 inch CRT but am open to a PVM or BVM with smaller footprint... :lol: text incoming

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Blu wrote:1. None of my consoles are modded. I'd opt for

Well the NES isn't cheap to RGB mod, but the N64 isn't that bad. For the NES, you really only have one option and the kit itself is $75 USD. It's also not the easiest to install, so if you have to pay for installation it wont be cheap. The N64, on the other hand, certain models can very easily be modified for RGB. It only requires a few bucks worth of components, and you only have to solder a couple of wires. Super easy to do, so even if you have to pay for the install it shouldn't cost much. N64 models that don't have analog video readily available can still be modified, but it's a bit more money. The same dude that makes the NESRGB kit also makes the N64RGB kit for $33 USD that can be installed in any model N64. The installation is a little harder than the "simple" N64 RGB mod, but still not nearly as bad as the NES RGB mod.

Blu wrote:2. You're absolutely right that Dreamcast is my VGA console.

So if using a CRT, then an RGB SCART (for a PVM) or S-Video (for a consumer TV) is all you need. If you were using a consumer TV and wanted something better than S-Video, you could also use an RGB->Component solution. HD Retrovision is coming out with a Dreamcast component video cable, which you would leave in 480i mode if using it on a CRT.

Blu wrote:3. My main worry is that I would have to do a lot of tinkering. Tinkering of which I have little background knowledge on. If the answer is yes, I'd likely want something closer to plug and play.

Using a CRT, even a PVM with RGB, involves almost no tinkering. Using retro game consoles on HDTVs with all sorts of adapters and scalers takes an endless amount of tinkering and still doesn't perform as good! There's only two things with a PVM that can be a slight pain, but I think they're minor compared to an HDTV solution.

RGB cables can kind of be confusing. Not all cables are the same, and every console and every region has different requirements. It can be a little confusing to know which is the right cable to get for your consoles. But there's a lot of great resources out there. And if you buy from a reputable source, you don't have to worry much. There's also the forums if you're unsure which cables to get. I would suggest watching My Life In Gaming's RGB Video Master Class series if you haven't already. You'll know pretty much everything you need to after watching those videos. There's also Retro RGB, which has a ton of info for RGB and modding. He has a website as well as a YouTube channel.

While you can easily plug RGB into the back of a PVM and simply turn the monitor and game console on and be good to go, just as you would with a consumer CRT, the PVMs usually only have one RGB input. They usually have a few composite and S-Video inputs, but generally only one RGB input. I think some higher end models have multiple RGB inputs, but they're very expensive. But being that you only have one RGB input to work with, you'll either have to swap cables as needed or get a switch box. A lot of people hate having to sway cables, but RGB SCART switch boxes aren't as simple as a composite switch box. Long story short, there's not a lot of options out there for SCART switch boxes. The the good options are kind of pricey. My Life In Gaming has an episode on all the current options.

Currently, I have a Bandridge 5-input switch box. I keep my 5 most used consoles hooked up to it, then I swap cables for the consoles I use less often. And being that I use them less often, that means I'm not swapping cables a whole lot. PVMs don't have SCART inputs, they have BNC inputs. I already had SCART cables from when I was using the Framemeister, so I got a SCART to BNC cable (which is what most people do). I have the BNC end plugged into the back of the PVM, but I have the female SCART hanging around front of the PVM so I can easily swap cables when needed. Might not be the most elegant solution, but I don't mind. I've thought about getting a second Bandrige, or maybe replacing it with one of those expensive SCART switches mention in the My Life In Gaming video, but I haven't felt like I can justify the cost.

Blu wrote:I still have a 20" Toshiba that has three composite inputs. However the audio and video is starting to get a little wonky on it. So at this point I'm trying to shop around and see what the best option might be for the long run. I'd love for something in the 19-20" range, but I'd be content getting a 14inch. Really I'm not picky, just looking to have something with some longevity. So again, thanks so much for helping me see the options out there.

I wish you lived closer, I have a couple of CRTs I could off load! I'd offer you my 20" for the cost of shipping, but I'm sure you could find something locally for cheaper (if not free) than what shipping would cost.

20" is a good size and still easily moved by one person. I have a 27" Sony Wega, and it's beautiful, but it's a pain in the ass to move by myself. PVMs are built for longevity, if that helps. I mean, not only was the best quality picture a goal, but they were also intended to be used in setting were they might be on for very long periods, even 24/7. They're definitely build better than consumer TVs.

But I can also say this: If you stick with a consumer CRT than everything will be easier, cheaper and still very enjoyable. You really fall down a rabbit hole when you start talking about RGB.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

So, one of my CRT's (Philips) has vertical Red, Green and Blue lines on the top. They started small and near the very top, but now they are getting larger and slowly moving down the picture.

Does anybody know about this problem and how to fix it??

Thank You!
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

I'm not familiar with that problem. Is there anything magnetic near the TV? If so, that could be the cause.

I find CRT repair intimidating because they can store high enough voltage to kill you, even if it's been unplugged for a while. It looks like there's a TV repair service in St. Louis and it might be worthwhile to just have them service it.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

Vertical Foldover.

https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/comments/b9jvpn/having_issues_with_vertical_foldover_and/

Mine doesn't look that bad, but the picture with the AV1 in the corner is exactly what I have.

Apparently, it's because some capacitors have gone bad and I have no soldering skills, so I don't I'm going to fix that. I'm going to try and call them either tomorrow or Saturday. They say they fix CRT's, so hopefully they should be able to help me.

Seems like a small and easy fix.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

My Amiga monitor came with that Vertical foldover. I didn't know it could be fixed with a recap. I'd been considering recapping it anyway. Glad to hear it'll improve the picture.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

Apparently, if you know the Capacitor and know how Solder, it's a really simple process. So, test our your Solders and replace any that have gone bad.

And of course, I turn on my TV today and everything is back to normal. No lines or fold-over whatsoever. I'm assuming I'm still going to need to do it in the future, but for now, I'm just going to praise my good luck. I did talk to the guy and he would be willing to do it for $100. It was just figuring out how to move it up to him...
VicDeakins

Post by VicDeakins »

I go back and forth. I still have my beloved Sony WEGA 36" Trinitron HD thats a beautiful TV, however lately I've mainly been using more modern 1080P/4K tvs with my trusty XRGB Mini. RGB is pretty much all I can tolerate these days. Even my 3DO and PC Engine CD is RGB modded. I also love the systems Analogue Interactive make which have native HDMI and look beautiful. Somedays I like the picture on my flatscreen+XRGB, other days I like the Sony WEGA, sort of depends.
I enjoy collecting Neo-Geo, Saturn, Jaguar, PCE-CD, 3DO, among others :) Also run www.axepalace.com