How many of you are actually still using CRT TVs?

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: How many of you are actually still using CRT TVs?

Post by samsonlonghair »

Good talk Ziggy. Thanks for your thoughts.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

This is how I see my own future right now:

Mi futuro.png
Mi futuro.png (28.32 KiB) Viewed 4933 times

My uncle has said he might give me some old PVMs they were going to trash at his work and the guy at the repair shop said that he's going to recallibrate some he has around after doing so with mine, in case I'm interested :lol:
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Oh my flipping goodness! I couldn't believe the CRT I saw the other day in Goodwill. I had to stop and take pictures.

Dig this: http://imgur.com/a/JFpg4

SONY Trinitron WEGA 55inch High Def CRT with two component inputs, three composite, three s-video, two coax, and two HDMI inputs. It had multiple audio inputs including stereo phono, trs, and Dolby digital optical audio
Model # KDF-55XS955
https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-ho ... KDF55XS955

The M.S.R.P. on this bad mamajama was thirty-five hundred dollars back in 2004. Now it's sitting at the Goodwill in Virginia Beach for fifty-five bucks.

Ridiculously badass CRT. I had to leave it behind for practical reasons. There's no way I could get this beat upstairs by myself. I'm sure one of you guys will get a kick out of seeing this.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

samsonlonghair wrote:Oh my flipping goodness! I couldn't believe the CRT I saw the other day in Goodwill. I had to stop and take pictures.

Model # KDF-55XS955
https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-ho ... KDF55XS955

The M.S.R.P. on this bad mamajama was thirty-five hundred dollars back in 2004. Now it's sitting at the Goodwill in Virginia Beach for fifty-five bucks.

Ridiculously badass CRT. I had to leave it behind for practical reasons. There's no way I could get this beat upstairs by myself. I'm sure one of you guys will get a kick out of seeing this.

Good thing you passed. That is not a CRT, but a rear projection! The costly lamps eventually have to be replaced and angle view on projection TVs are even worse then modern LCDs.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Post by samsonlonghair »

Oh... a projection screen TV. I thought they stopped making those years beforehand. I had no idea that SONY ever made a projection screen TV with HDMI inputs.

What a monstrous, over-the-top TV set.
IrishNinja
64-bit

Post by IrishNinja »

so bummed this WEGA trinotron (component even!) has bad greens, gonna see what i can do in the service menu but still...things heavy as sin, was grateful for the donation but ughhh
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I picked up a PVM! As far as recent ebay prices, the price wasn't horrible...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-PVM-1350- ... 7675.l2557

Sony PVM-1350

I know there are more advanced models, but I'm happy with this one. I was watching this auction for a while. I wasn't too happy with the pictures and the description (or lack there of) but I decided to take a chance since the seller has good feedback. I'm glad I did. This thing is great! Aside from having to get a little sticker residue off, it's in near mint condition. And the screen is absolutely perfect.

I've been thinking about getting a PVM for quite a few years now, but until recently I wasn't interested in the small size screen. Larger PVMs are crazy expensive. But this year I realized it's not so much the size of the screen that matter, it's the distance you sit from the screen. So a smaller size screen is just fine if you aren't sitting too far away. That, and smaller screens actually look better than larger ones.

So I bought a 13" Trinitron consumer TV and have been using that since the beginning of 2018. The only thing is it's RF and composite input only. For the most part, I've been OK with composite on it. I've yet to mod my NES, so composite is all I've got. And composite on a Genesis 3 isn't as bad as earlier models (the mono output also doesn't matter since this TV is only mono). And with composite on a Genesis, you don't loose those fake transparency effects, so there's that. But when using my SNES, the color intensity is really strong and red just seems kinda blown out. This prompted me to make this thread to see about fixing that, but ultimately decided that composite is just shit and that's that. I was thinking about modifying the TV to accept and RGB input, but that'll be on the back burner for now. I decided to just finally pick up a PVM, since that's clearly what I'm trying to get out of my Trinitron TV.

Anyway, I've been very pleased with the PVM so far. They've been talked up so much, but they really do deserve it. I used Donkey Kong Country (1) as a test, since that was giving me the most grief. Reds were really blown out on the TV, especially when you look at the red on a DK barrel, it bleeds into the yellow outline really bad and just looks like shit. So naturally, DKC1 was the first thing I tried on the PVM. Everything looks great now.

I've been sick, so I haven't had the chance to mess with it a whole lot. Just SNES and the Super Gameboy, but I'm pretty eager to try out more with it. I kinda know what to expect from the NES and Genesis. For the Genesis, I can use RGB from either a model 1 or 2, and I've used it through the Framemeister before. For the NES, I used this as an excuse to finally purchase a NESRGB kit (I've been putting off buying once since it came out). But I already know what to expect with that. I'm the most interested to try N64 and PS1. I've most recently used N64 and PS1 through the Framemeister on a 1080p TV, so I'm use to them both looking really awful. The best I've used either with is S-Video through a consumer TV, so I pretty eager to see RGB on a CRT (my N64 is already RGB modded).
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

I guess I'm not overly picky about image quality, as long as it looks decent enough and has no input lag.

I have more CRT's than I care to admit, acquired over time. Some were even free. But I just like the hookup options on them. S-video is more than good enough for the majority of my systems (that have it) and standard composite works well for 8-bit, most 16-bit, and even some PS1/N64 era.

Really like component options for Sega Genesis though. Have a retrovision cable and also a nice Scart-to-component converter (bought/made from someone on this forum). Crystal clear Genesis on a CRT is a sight to behold.

Most recent purchase was a 52" rear projection CRT. Never had one before, and I kind of like it. Not very good for 2D systems, but for Wii U it seems to work well. It's not as clear as I'd like, but also not too shabby. I more or less knew what I was getting though.
If the tube/lamp/bulb burns out, I'm not at a big loss. But it's the biggest TV I've ever had and is a real trip with Mario Kart 8.
...just another lost soul...
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I'd love to get a PVM someday myself.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Post by samsonlonghair »

I've been on the lookout for a PVM or BVM for years now. Someday I'll find one.

Recently I downgraded by 27" Trinitron. I loved that magnificent old beast, but it was taking up entirely too much space in my home. Now I'm rocking a teeny 9" trinitron. I'm surprised how happy this tiny TV set makes me. This little bastard is bright! My only regret is losing the Component and S-Video hookups, but I don't really need those on such a small screen.