How many of you are actually still using CRT TVs?

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Re: How many of you are actually still using CRT TVs?

Post by JoeAwesome »

Jagosaurus wrote:
JoeAwesome wrote:Jag, ever try the 3rd party component cable option I mentioned to you for PS1?

I am drawing a blank man :? .

Are we talking the PS1 Retrovision adapter (for Genesis cable IIRC?)?

Nah, this.

With a 3rd party cable that had multi-out (composite and component), I hooked up a PS1 via component (with composite for sync) to RGB.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

@Joe... I am so confused by that pic :lol: . Can you explain what's going on. I actually heard some1 mention this on a podcast in passing & I was confused there too LOL.

Had a good time getting back into my XRGB3 the past few weeks... both VGA to CRT & DVI/HDMI to LCD. While the CRT is definitely the better image IMO...

... have to say the XRGB3 in B0 > 1080p > DVI > HDMI > 4K set still looks very respectable.

The lag is very similar to it's successor the Framemeister in B0 mode on DVI/HDMI out at 20ms.

In VGA out you can move to B1 mode where the lag is basically non-existant at 2ms or less than 10% of 1 frame at 60fps.

Been thinking of starting an ongoing scaler/line doubler/RGB type thread for ppl to share set ups, ask questions, post new devices coming out, share feedback, etc... thoughts?

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
marurun

Post by marurun »

That's just a monitor with RGB BNC connectors and another BNC for sync. And then mono audio.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I have a lot of experience with most of the bad and good scalers, splitters and HDMI matrix devices, so I'd enjoy taking part in any discussions regarding them. I'd like to learn more about those TVOne Corio devices as downscalers, tho I found out about them too late so my chances of finding the right model now is slim. I still haven't assembled a GBSControl but I have the hardware to make more than one now.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

@Anapan, have you ran across this?
GBS-C AIO Preorder Round 2
https://zerohimself.com/

Think I just solidified we need the thread.

Thanks Marurun.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I heard about that project but never read much into it. I know that guy whose site you linked too, he's very talented and knowledgeable. He's been on the cutting edge of supplying parts and builds of Misters since near the beginning. The process of modifying a Gonbes GBS-8200 scaler is quite involved and not accessible to the average user. I guess he's started a project to let people buy a finished product instead of sourcing all the bits and bobs involved in flashing and connecting components.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

Jagosaurus wrote:@Joe... I am so confused by that pic :lol: . Can you explain what's going on. I actually heard some1 mention this on a podcast in passing & I was confused there too LOL.

With a 3rd-party cable that can do component/composite/S-Video, take component and hook them up to RGB via RCA --> BNC, and hook up composite (yellow) to sync.

Voila, PS1 with RGB without SCART on a PVM. I'm sure it'd take more on your setup, though.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Ziggy587 wrote:Don't get rid of the CRTs! You'll regret it!

I have let you down Ziggy.

Last year we had a ewaste dumpster at work where everything in it goes to a recycling center. Since we had spare space in it, I got my boss's approval to toss in whatever else I had at home. So I took all but three CRTs and got them taken away to be recycled. I kept my Sony KV-24FV12 which has under 100 hours on it, my Amiga monitor, and my 40/80 line Zenith. I also dumped a huge box of outdated and dead pc parts.

The upside of this is now I can justify a PVM or BVM when the right one comes up for sale near me, or if I ever decide I want to recap a console tv.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

LOL. Well I can't blame you. I'm thinking I might have to unload a couple of CRTs. I have way more than I will ever need, even with backups.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

There [img]are[/img] people on ebay who will buy them. Maybe not some of the rinky-dinkier ones, but there's certainly a market. Especially in New York, Zig.