How many of you are actually still using CRT TVs?

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
marurun

Re: How many of you are actually still using CRT TVs?

Post by marurun »

I just acquired a 36" Toshiba HD CRT unit with great speakers. Unfortunately, it got a little banged up during the move (frikkin heavy SOB) and that seems to have had some minor effect on the geometry of the screen. I've noticed it's also a little on the saturated side with image quality. That said, the screen is HUGE, classic 4x3 despite being 1080i, and has two component video hookups. I think it looked washed out because I was using S-video. I think I will need to stick to native component video to get best image quality on it.

Did I mention the 10 watt speakers? They sound darn good for built-ins.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I've been buying and receiving (after contacting owners) Sony FD Trinitrons (SD CRTs) that I will be modding to RGB input and putting in arcade cabs and cocktail tables. I'm having a great time learning all the details of making arcade machines. The RGB mods are a lot simpler than I at first thought. At this point I have more CRTs than flat screen displays around me. I think it's cool, but my family says I've just become a hoarder at this point. Until I sell one and stop coddling it and say it's done... but the displays are so beautiful and I love all 18 of them...
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

nightrnr wrote:I guess I'm not overly picky about image quality, as long as it looks decent enough and has no input lag.

S-video is more than good enough for the majority of my systems (that have it) and standard composite works well for 8-bit, most 16-bit, and even some PS1/N64 era.

Yeah, and to that point, I've been very happy using S-Video on the consumer CRTs that I've owned. PS1/N64/Saturn and below, I've always been fine with S-Video. But I decided I wanted a 13" set for a few reasons, and I've never seen S-Video on a 13" CRT. My Sony Trinitron is only RF and composite, and even newer Wega sets are composite and component but no S-Video. So I guess I'm just not willing to take a step back from S-Video to composite again. The 13" PVM will replace my 13" Trinitron. But my 27" Wega will still be fine with just S-Video.

nightrnr wrote:Really like component options for Sega Genesis though. Have a retrovision cable and also a nice Scart-to-component converter (bought/made from someone on this forum). Crystal clear Genesis on a CRT is a sight to behold.

Yeah, I modified my Genesis for S-Video and haven't looked back. The composite really is awful on the Genesis! However, when using composite on my 13" Trinitron (since it had no S-Video input), it was nice to see those fake transparency effects again. It kinda sucks with the Genesis that you have to choose.

Xeogred wrote:I'd love to get a PVM someday myself.

I would say get one now rather than waiting. Especially if you can't find one locally for cheap, the prices just keep going up and up on eBay.

samsonlonghair wrote:I've been on the lookout for a PVM or BVM for years now. Someday I'll find one.

Recently I downgraded by 27" Trinitron. I loved that magnificent old beast, but it was taking up entirely too much space in my home. Now I'm rocking a teeny 9" trinitron. I'm surprised how happy this tiny TV set makes me. This little bastard is bright! My only regret is losing the Component and S-Video hookups, but I don't really need those on such a small screen.

So this is basically where I was at. I have a 27" Wega (along with all my other CRTs) but haven't had the room to use them. That's why I got the 13" Trinitron, and it's been great! I think smaller screens look better anyway. But yeah, same deal with losing the inputs.

Anapan wrote:I've been buying and receiving (after contacting owners) Sony FD Trinitrons (SD CRTs) that I will be modding to RGB input and putting in arcade cabs and cocktail tables. I'm having a great time learning all the details of making arcade machines. The RGB mods are a lot simpler than I at first thought. At this point I have more CRTs than flat screen displays around me. I think it's cool, but my family says I've just become a hoarder at this point. Until I sell one and stop coddling it and say it's done... but the displays are so beautiful and I love all 18 of them...

Yeah, I was really surprised how easy RGB modding can be. At least, on newer sets with jungle chips. I definitely wanna try it at some point.
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

I currently use a 27" Sony WEGA HDCRT for most of my older systems, but because it has an HDMI input, it works well for newer systems, too. Still, I'd like a nice, small PVM to replace it with because ~150lbs isn't a joke to move, much less tate :lol:

This weekend I got a strange Sony monitor. LMD-1420. It's an LCD with BNC connections that was supposed to be the next step forward to CRTs for PVMs. It does S-Video (which was nice), composite, component and RGB (the latter two sharing the same connections). This will probably be my new test monitor for arcade games, as it makes tate-ing much easier, and the quality isn't too bad, even if it lacks scanlines. I'm looking to get Euro SCART/JP21 to BNC adapters to test out the RGB, but I should have some RCA to BNC adapters soon to test out the component. I'll try to post pics when I can.

Btw, I saw a mod on youtube someone did to make a consumer CRT compatible with RGB :shock:
Wish I could figure out how to do that. It might turn me away from PVMs and their crazy prices.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

JoeAwesome wrote:This weekend I got a strange Sony monitor. LMD-1420. It's an LCD with BNC connections that was supposed to be the next step forward to CRTs for PVMs.

Cool! What's the screen resolution?

JoeAwesome wrote:Btw, I saw a mod on youtube someone did to make a consumer CRT compatible with RGB

The 8-Bit Guy, right? It's kinda funny, this kind of mod has been around for some time. But his channel is pretty popular, so it's making it's rounds.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Aren't PVM's really heavy? I think I'd like one that has AV inputs and do they do S-Video?

Problem with CRT's over the years is that they can degrade a bit. Are these PVM/BVM's more reliable and stable?

I've got an old 20" APEX CRT that I've lugged around for years. It's got 5 AV inputs and S-Video, but sadly I think the image has alignment issues now. Admittedly I was rough on this TV over the years, throwing it in trunks for Xbox LAN parties and stuff. But I got to HDTV's a bit too late, when S-Video was stripped out. And this APEX having so many inputs (and a little nostalgia haha) makes me want to keep it around, but yeah. Just a shame the screen has some weird warping or something wrong with it now. Maybe I can take a pic.

I use upscalers and other solutions for the PS2, or component with the Xbox. But anything before that I can't stomach on an HDTV like most of us I'm sure, haha. The only issue with these CRT's and stuff now is space, moving around a lot and living in apartments. But hopefully someday I'll have more space and can put them to use again.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Xeogred wrote:Aren't PVM's really heavy? I think I'd like one that has AV inputs and do they do S-Video?

They might be slightly heavier than their consumer TV counterpart, but only slightly. The cases are more robust, and there's probably more circuitry inside, so they're not that much heavier.
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

Ziggy587 wrote:Cool! What's the screen resolution?

The manual says 640x480p. I'll have to see if it can accept 240p.

Ziggy587 wrote:The 8-Bit Guy, right? It's kinda funny, this kind of mod has been around for some time. But his channel is pretty popular, so it's making it's rounds.

I think it was him. I've heard of others modding their CRTs before, but that was the first time I saw it on video, so it really impressed me.

Xeogred wrote:Problem with CRT's over the years is that they can degrade a bit. Are these PVM/BVM's more reliable and stable?

Moving around your APEX like that probably caused some issues, but PVMs are prone to those issues, too. Much like PVMs, all it takes is some adjustments to fix, either with the service settings or by opening up the monitor.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

JoeAwesome wrote:The manual says 640x480p. I'll have to see if it can accept 240p.

That's pretty cool. Reminds me of when I was thinking about getting a 480p 16:9 LCD EDTV for the Wii and some PS2.

JoeAwesome wrote:I think it was him. I've heard of others modding their CRTs before, but that was the first time I saw it on video, so it really impressed me.

Yeah, I was saying in another thread, I've heard of RGB modding consumer CRTs before. But I always (incorrectly) assumed it was way more involved, so I never even bothered to look into it. That video that The 8-Bit Guy just put was the first time I've ever actually seen it done. I've looked up a bunch more videos, and yeah, it seems pretty trivial for newer sets that have a so-called "jungle" IC.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

Xeogred wrote:Aren't PVM's really heavy? I think I'd like one that has AV inputs and do they do S-Video?

In my experience, professional monitors are heavier than a screen of a similar size because they have more components inside. Most of the weight still comes from the glass of the tube but the difference is significant.

The professional monitors of interest are those that were used in video editing (A PVML5, for example) or are a very large size (Like a PVM 25XX series). Both have a large series of inputs.

PD: Keep in mind that PVM is not a kind of monitor, but simply the name for Sony's brand. You can find similar monitors from JVC, Ikegami and other brands. I have a PVM and JVC, for example.

Problem with CRT's over the years is that they can degrade a bit. Are these PVM/BVM's more reliable and stable?

These monitors are designed for 24/7 operation and use high quality components. If you can find a unit with a low number of hours they should last for a very long time.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/