How has your ideal gaming setup or room changed over time?

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

How has your ideal gaming setup or room changed over time?

Post by Erik_Twice »

I was talking about this topic earlier with ZeroAX. We all have ideal gaming setups, but that ideal has probably changed over time. In what ways did they change?

- I no longuer want a triplehead setup: Don't get me wrong, this kind of setups are really amazing, specially when done well but they are of no use for most old games and they are a bit too dizzying for competitive shooters and the like which are the games I would spend most of the time on. A second screen is still a huge bonus, but I no longer feel the need for such a setup.

- I value good controllers more than before: Except for my PC, I never gave controllers much thought. Sure, I could recognize some controllers being better than others or that my fighting pads were cheap but I never cared much. Now it's something I value a lot, in the long run playing with a mushy PS2 controller clone becomes very annoying.

- I no longer want tons of arcade stuff or dedicated machines: The idea of having a lot of dedicated stuff, like cabs or driving setups has become less appealing over time. It's a huge investment in both money and specially in space and I think you need to be extremely sure of what you really want before jumping in.

- I've accepted I can't play DDR at home: Really, you cannot play these games in a flat without being a bother to your neighbours and it's unlikely I live in a terraced house so it's arcade or nothing.

- Being subtle is even more important: All games should be on shelves, machines and cabs should have muted colours and fit the home environment. And they should be reduced in number because otherwise they don't fit.

So how has your ideal gaming setup changed over time?
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Re: How has your ideal gaming setup or room changed over tim

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

Ideally, a big OLED TV hanging on the wall with a PlayStation mounted to the back of it.

I like minimal looking setups. No longer do I want a cabinet full of systems or that such nonsense.

Plus studio apartments are cramped as it is.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

My biggest thing is having at least my PC set up in its own room or office. When it was just my wife and me, my set up of our PCs in the big game room behind the couch was nice. I could play games, or browse the web and listen/watch tv at the same time (depends on game of course). But now that I have kids, and this is also their play room, I would like it to be a bit more isolated.
Nyukki
128-bit

Post by Nyukki »

My setup has changed a lot over the years, switching back and forth between emulation focused and original systems focused a few times. I've now centred on predominantly original systems, with some emulation of lesser preferred systems via hacked 360 and Wii, along with a key emphasis on 'streamlining' due to space limitations, as well as trying to plug up the rabbit hole that is game collecting.

I've almost finished my setup, looking forward to posting pics in the coming weeks.
Weekend shmupper
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I've always gone with Captain Brenten on the ideal - "Bigger is better and it always has been!". Tho, I traded my biggest subwoofer coffee-table and some large monitor speakers for a Bose Acoustimass system last year to get ~0 signal noise. I still think a 10'x18' wall painted with reflective matte screen paint in the basement would be ideal, tho it'd require a wall knocked out to make it viable... Also, huge black curtains to get no back-reflection and as close to black in the unlit areas of the screen. The bright-enough and capable of black enough projector is quite expensive, tho they are getting cheaper. Yes, as far as screens go, my ideal has never wavered. I want Mario as tall as me, and the "Mega Mushroom" can make that a reality with the projector setup. One day, it will be mine!
My *actual* setup just keeps getting better a bit at a time. It's always ready to be turned into my ideal. Also I keep my portable setup ready to be plugged into a jumbotron, should the opportunity arise. Gotta keep the bluetooth joystick on hand - never know when you might be able to play Mega Man on a 60' screen. I'll be ready!
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
bryan_65
Next-Gen

Post by bryan_65 »

Well, it has almost been a year since my move and I have sold well over $1500 worth of crap and have zero games for the Wii and Dreamcast now as I have went with USB and SD loaders. I no longer have a dedicated room so I have only have the Wii, Sega 32x CD and Dreamcast hooked up at the moment in the living room with my desk in the corner next to my Neo Geo MVS 2 slot. My Saturn, Master system, NES, N64 and PS2 still live in the closet for now along with what little games I have left. I am getting ready to hook more systems up in the dinning room / playroom. Sadly my Capcom Big Blue is still living at my moms.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

At least you keep the essentials close at hand.

Hey, Bryan_65, are you the same guy as Elbryan65 from all the Doom 64 development and disassembly ~12-15 years ago?
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I used to want everything on display and noticeable. Now, while I still want everything on display, and I want my collection itself to be noticeable, I don't want any particular part to stand out from the rest; I want the whole set up to blend as one large, beautiful shrine to gaming. Until I get a NeoGeo cabinet. That shit needs to stand out and be the glorious, sexy beast it is.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

bryan_65
Next-Gen

Post by bryan_65 »

Anapan wrote:At least you keep the essentials close at hand.

Hey, Bryan_65, are you the same guy as Elbryan65 from all the Doom 64 development and disassembly ~12-15 years ago?

Nope not me, but the Saturn is going in the living room too.
WARvault
16-bit

Post by WARvault »

Hey a topic I have input on!

I always wanted a projector setup.Bought a projector, used it for ten months. Now I only collect Nintendo handhelds, plus softmod Wii on a CRT. I did not see that coming...