ElkinFencer10's Big Boy Gaming Set-up

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: ElkinFencer10's Big Boy Gaming Set-up

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

touchofkiel wrote:I love the way that cute little PStwo is utterly dwarfed by the Sega Genesis-32x-CD monstrosity.

I think you mean "beautiful monument to gaming perfection." I also rearranged shit. Maybe I'll get around to posting new pictures soon.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

"Death Star Genesis" is my preferred term, personally.

And I loves it.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

KalessinDB wrote:"Death Star Genesis" is my preferred term, personally.

And I loves it.

Ooo, totally stealing that nickname for it.

ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Finally getting stuff settled and unpacked in the new house. Images of the new gaming set up incoming within the next few days.

laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

Your game room was really nice! Neat and organised, which is exactly what I wish mine would be :| Plus you had a ton of space! My game room is pretty small and I'm running out of room to put games.

Hope your unpacking goes well and can't wait to see the new game room :D
Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

fastbilly1 wrote:As a I should do that. I bought a bunch of UGCs from another member here last year (I want to say Hobie), and many already had artwork for a bunch of N64 games luckily we have almost the exact same taste in games. I will get around to doing it after I figure out where/how to store the cases.

Hey! That was me! I'm glad you still have those. They're worth the extra shelf space because they make it look so uniform and crisp!
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

My new pics are coming, I swear. Between unpacking, setting up, dealing with Time Warner Cable's bullshit, and getting ready for BronyCon (and, you know, actually wanting to play a game or two), I just haven't had the time or motivation to go through and take the pictures. I'm also planning to do a walkthrough video for my friends and family back home that I'll post to my YouTube channel, so I'll link that here, as well, if you want to see a more thorough tour of the new house and hear my nasaley, Southern af voice.

ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Alright, so it took me like three weeks to get around to unpacking, taking the pictures, uploading the pictures, and then writing this post, but I FINALLY have some pictures of the new gaming set-up for everyone! Most of these pictures are of the new game room, but there are a few of the living room and a few of my bedroom (since I have gaming set-ups in each of those rooms). Yaaaay! I apologize in advance for the lighting; the overhead light in the game room (the only light) is balls, and there's nothing but a floor lamp in the living room. Who the fuck builds a living room with no overhead light? Seriously?

This is the view of the game room that you get when you first walk in the side door and see it in all of it's glory. It's a bit hard to see at this distance, but above the small black shelf towards the middle is a Hatsune Miku drawing that a student of mine did for me last year.

The first three shelves have my Atari 2600 games, my Intellivision games, my Atari 5200 games, my Vectrex games, my Atari 7800 games, my Famicom games, and the first of my NES games. I still need to print covers for two my Famicom games (Field Combat and Front Line).

The shelves below that have the rest of my NES games, my Master System games, and all but one of my Genesis games (fucking Vectorman just had to be different...)

Move to the right and back up are that loner Genesis game, my 32X games, my Super Nintendo games, my NeoGeo games (all but NAM-1975 is MVS; that's my only AES game), my Jaguar games, and most of my N64 games.

The bottom shelf in that column is a big shelf as well as getting into funky varieties of case sizes. I'm eventually going to put all of my disc games in DVD cases, but that's a future project. Anyway, the top shelf in this picture has the Jaguar and N64 games from the previous image, but below that are the last of my N64 games, my Sega CD games (along with lone Sega CD 32X game), my Saturn games, my TurboGrafx-16 games, my two NeoGeo CD games, my 3DO games, my PS1 games, my Dreamcast games, my PS2 games, and about half of my Xbox games.

Now what I think is cool (but also annoying to situate) is that the built-in shelves wrap around the corner. Here I have the rest of my Xbox games, my Gamecube games, my Xbox 360 games, and most of my PS3 games.

Below that are the rest of my console games - the last few PS3 games, my Wii games, my Wii U games, my PS4 games, and my Xbox One games (as well as my two 30th Anniversary Mario amiibos, my gold and silver Mario amiibos, my gold Mega Man amiibo, and my Mega Yarn Yoshi amiibo). There are, by the time this is getting posted, a couple more Wii U games, another Xbox One game, and probably 6 or 7 new PS4 games.

Next to that is a media shelf that holds my Umio plush (from the Megadimension Neptunia VII limited edition), my Virtual Boy, my New 3DS XL in its cradle, and my boxed handheld games - PSP, NeoGeo Pocket Color, DS, 3DS, and Vita. I have a few dozen Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, and Game Gear games, but until I get the money to buy a truck load of blank DS cases and print artwork, they just chill in a box in a cabinet until I want to play them.

Okay, here's where the shitty lighting really rears its ugly head. I apologize; it seemed to be this awkward middle ground where no flash looked like a cave deep underground, and with the flash, it looked like I was photographing the surface of the sun. Anyway, here's the main retro gaming TV along with the Xbox (which stays plugged in via component) and the Master System.

On the shelf beside that is the Atari 7800 (which stays plugged in via disgusting RF), the PS2 (which stays plugged in via component), the N64 (which stays plugged in via S-video), the TurboGrafx-16 (which stays plugged in via composite thanks to the immortal ApolloBoy), the NeoGeo AES, and the PS3).

Here's the first big amiibo shelf. For the most part, my amiibos are organized by series. On the top is the entire Super Mario series; below that are the Kirby series in the back and the beginning of the Animal Crossing series in the front. Next two shelves hold the rest of the Animal Crossing series, then the non-gigantic Yoshi's Woolly World amiibos, Wolf Link, Shovel Knight, and the four Skylanders amiibos (Bowser, Donkey Kong, Dark Bowser, and Dark Donkey Kong along with their stupid vehicles).

Next to that is a shelf with just some random stuff that I thought was cool enough to put in the game room. PipBoy, voodoo doll, some tarot cards, a few figurines of the Buddha, a shark, an old Club Nintendo gold status diorama, some Pop! figurines, my giant deck of Twilight Sparkle's Secret Shipfic Folder (my ALL TIME favorite card game), some CDs, and some other handheld systems - my PSP, my launch day 3DS (though you can't see it well, it's in the back corner), my NeoGeo Pocket Color, and my Game Gear (with a fucked to hell screen). Oh, and the shitty GameStick and equally shitty Hyperscan are at the bottom.

This is just a view of the artwork hanging around those last two shelves. I got the Twilight Sparkle wall scroll at BronyCon last week, a student drew the Hydralisk in the corner for me a couple years ago, and the Kid Icarus and Donkey Kong posters are from Club Nintendo.

Here's the middle of the room by some built-in seating. I keep my four Wiimotes charging here in front of the almighty Vectrex with a Mario thing hanging above it and my model of Sephiroth's sword above that. Of course, I keep my Bernie Sanders yard sign in the window showing my support even though Hillary's the nominee.

The corner by the side door is devoted to gaming-related pony art. I got the two Gamer Luna pictures on the right at BronyCon two years ago, and I got the wall scroll with Luna and Twilight Sparkle gaming at BronyCon this year along with the picture of Blackjack on the bottom left and a murderous zebra on the bottom right (both are from the Fallout: Equestria fanfic universe, hence the relation to gaming).

This is the overview of the side door. I've got a wall scroll of LittlePip (from the original Fallout: Equestria story) covering the window (since we have no blinds or curtains there) and my Skyward Sword, ZombiU, and arcade Donkey Kong posters (the first and last of which are Club Nintendo; the middle one was a lucky $5 buy when the Blockbuster in Boone was going out of the business when I was in college). Below that are shelves with more amiibos and systems.

Here's the second big amiibo shelf. This one is all Smash Bros and Splatoon. At the top are Pit, Mega Man, and Sonic on the left; Dark Pit, Ryu and Pacman on the right; and Mr. Game and Watch and Palutena in the middle. The three Splatoon recolor amiibos as well as Callie and Marie were added to the shelf since I took these pictures. There are also two Playstation 3 controllers charging on the top.

Lighting is better here since there weren't reflective surfaces to turn my flash into a weapon against me. Here I've got my Intellivision, my Playstation Vita, my Playstation TV, my Atari 2600, my Xbox 360, my Atari Jaguar, my NES, NeoGeo CD, my Sega Saturn, my Famicom, my 3DO, my Gamecube (with the Gameboy Player), and my Super Nintendo. My Xbox 360 controller charger is also on the top.

Beside the first set of shelves you saw and the door to the kitchen are some plastic drawers that hold AC and AV cords as well as my Halo 3 Master Chief helmet. Above that is a picture of Neptune that a student drew for me and a print I got from BronyCon two or three years ago of the Changeling queen Chrysalis as a Borg queen.

Not really gaming related, but I felt like sharing this - my roommate's collection of Lion King plates and my collection of Funko vinyl ponies (I added Maud Pie and Cheese Sandwich on the bottom shelf after this picture was taken).

Here's what you see of the living room if you walk in the front door. Off to the side on the right is my roommate's PC.

My NeoGeo MVS cabinet - bought from the7k - in all of its glory (and by glory, I mean monitor in desperate need of recapping).

This is my modern gaming station - my 48" Sony TV where Wii U, Playstation 4, Xbox One, and Steam Link stay plugged in. My Retron 5 is here, as well, with the power cord plugged in, but I swap out an HDMI cable when I play it since I only have 4 HDMI ports, and my HDMI splitters are starting to crap out on me. I may eventually run my Wii U through component to free up and HDMI port, but not until I'm sure I've got really good quality component cables.

Here's what you see of my bedroom from the doorway (I've clearly accepted the fact that I'm never getting laid again). The wall scroll on the left is from BronyCon last year (LittlePip and Blackjack, the main characters of the two most popular Fallout: Equestria stories), and the poster frame on the right is a collage I made using a number of smaller posters that were either too beat up to hang on their own or too small.

Here's a closer look at the bedroom retro gaming station (with Jack) - a smaller CRT with my Genesis/32X/CD hooked up via composite and my Atari 5200 hooked up via RF.

This is my PC station (though I play most of my PC games in the living room via my Steam Link). I also have hooked up here my Wii via component, my Ouya via HDMI (obviously), and my Dreamcast via VGA. The picture of Princess Luna on the desk was a drawing given to me by a student for my birthday, the Christmas Twilight Sparkle and Fluttershy picture above that was given to me a student for Christmas that same year, the painting of Jack (as Data from Star Trek TNG) was a housewarming gift painted by a friend two years ago, and the framed print to the left is the first professional piece of art that a former student of mine did when she started art school. The little picture in the middle at the bottom is just something sentimental that my grandmother gave me 13 years ago for my birthday; it's been hanging in every bedroom I've had in every house since.

And then, just because they're awesome, my Sunset Shimmer and Sonata Dusk maid outfit wall scrolls flanking my bookshelf. I got those two at BronyCon this year. :mrgreen:

So that's the new gaming set-up. What do yall think? Gimme some feedback (as long as it's more than just "wtf ponies r gay u fag;" I get that shit enough from my students).

ApolloBoy
128-bit

Post by ApolloBoy »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:(as long as it's more than just "wtf ponies r gay u fag;" I get that shit enough from my students).

TBH when it's become so prominent in your setup and since you keep talking about it it's really difficult to ignore...
Own: 2600, 2DS, 2DS XL, 360 S, 5200, 7800, 800, 800XL, AES, Amiga 600, C64, C64C, CV, DC, Duo-R, GB, GBA, GBA SP, GBC, GBP, Genesis 2, GG, JP SMS, Lynx, Mark III, Mega CD II, MD, MSX2+, N64, NES, NES top loader, Nomad, PCE, PSX, PS2, RetroUSB AVS, SAT, SFC, SG-1000 II, SMS, SNES mini, Switch, TE, Twin Fami, VIC-20, Wii, XEGS
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

The house is definitely centered around gaming. I like the built in shelving.