Nvidia Shield TV

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: Nvidia Shield TV

Post by samsonlonghair »

jp1 wrote:Can I just open this thing up and upgrade the hard drive myself? It seems the 500GB version is a lot of extra coin. I'd be able to stuff a SSD in there and purchase the 16GB version for less.

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/237 ... GB+Version

This site seems to indicate that internal modifications are not supported, but you can plug in an external USB hard drive.
jp1
Next-Gen

Post by jp1 »

samsonlonghair wrote:
jp1 wrote:Can I just open this thing up and upgrade the hard drive myself? It seems the 500GB version is a lot of extra coin. I'd be able to stuff a SSD in there and purchase the 16GB version for less.

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/237 ... GB+Version

This site seems to indicate that internal modifications are not supported, but you can plug in an external USB hard drive.

Thanks Samson. I guess I'll be looking at the deluxe version. I'm guessing the internal ssd would keep things speedy.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

the Shield TV is really small. Like a tablet. So yeah I can't see opening it up being viable. I got the 16GB myself and it's nice. Plus, as Samson mentioned, there's 2 full size USB ports on the back so you can easily plug in external HDD('s) to expand it.

I like the notion that I could dump all my DVD's and CD's on an HDD and have everything available right there. Of course the Spotify and Netflix and Hulu apps on the thing kind of make that sound like more work than I want to do haha.

Anyway, when I was interested in getting one I trolled the GeForce forums a bit, as there's lots of cool info there: https://forums.geforce.com/default/boar ... ndroid-tv/

And of course let me know if I can answer any questions.

EDIT: I may actually try the GeForce Now service. It's free for 3 months anyway. But for $8 a month it may be worth it since I have multiple Shield devices. 3 months would give me time to test how well it works, and gauge my interest in the selection.

I may also buy the port of Lego Avengers thru the GeForce store... it's 50% off right now and comes with a free Steam key.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I played some games on the Shield with my brother-in-law over the weekend. It's kind of interesting that stuff that was intended to be mobile games like Crossy Road or Pac-Man 256 work so well as 'console games.' We ended up getting pretty competitive with Crossy Road, passing the controller back and forth. That's a great game for that considering runs generally take just a few minutes. We also fired up the recent-ish NBA Jam.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

one thing that I've discovered is "Live Channels." This stuff is awesome. You add these diff apps that are considered Live Channels, and then you just fire up the Live Channels app and now you've got what looks like cable TV - it's streaming all these live streams and catalogs them, tells you what's on. There's a horror channel for instance that's just horror movies all day. I think it's just called Horror 24/7 haha. But yeah, very very neat. There's all kinds of stuff - movies, shows, trailers, music, news, weather... I'm sure cord-cutters would love this.

Seriously, if the Comcast/Xfinity app does come to Shield TV as has been rumored, then this will be the absolute ultimate media box IMO. It's already damn close.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I bit the bullet and switched from WD TV boxes for close family to these. Mostly for Plex - it's kinda expenive just for HEVC streaming, but the whole PC thing was just too much for many of them. It's really cool to have a live streaming server with a netflix-like interface It's also cool to have such a powerful android in HD onscreen. Now you can even have the Plex server installed directly on the Nvidia Shield - skip the computer completely and just NAS multiple hard drives.

Just a warning about having 2 Shield controllers (I didn't know you could get a free one, but looked into buying a very expensive 2nd): They do not work with most native android games or streaming pc games. In fact they're mostly useless as the 2nd shield controller registers as the same device except for a handful of "console mode" games. That's why they're giving them away with the console now.

Buy a bluetooth controller instead or go wired for 2+ player. Any popular new-ish bluetooth gaming controller will work just fine for native 2p games and emulators. I opted for a SteelSeries Stratus XL for 2nd player on the emulators.
Oh and don't buy a an official microphone remote - buy a much cheaper Amazon Fire TV stick remote.
At under $20 you need this accessory while the official one is way too expensive.

I found that I could buy more games that what show up on the inbuilt play store app through a web browser on a pc on the google play store while logged in to my google account - or if you have an android phone just choose to install the apps you already purchased also onto your shield.

Dowloading an APK and installing it may be the only way to get some apps and games onto your device - they show unsuported if they have touch only controls, tho a wireless mouse can play them fine usually.
Many will not show up on the launch screen. You can launch them with this app:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... adlauncher

The purchase was well worth it - it completely fills the entertainment center needs with as much power as should be necessary, and also renders all 3d intensive android games without flinching.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

heads up: as part of Prime Day you can get a Shield TV + extra controller with a $110 discount today.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F4DSKUY/re ... WFZF8KQ475
jp1
Next-Gen

Post by jp1 »

noiseredux wrote:heads up: as part of Prime Day you can get a Shield TV + extra controller with a $110 discount today.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F4DSKUY/re ... WFZF8KQ475

Damnit. I didn't check the site on prime day. Oh well, thanks for the heads up B.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

as awesome a piece of tech that it is, I'm actually considering selling my 500GB Shield TV w/ controller and remote. I think it's awesome, but for the amount of time I actually USE it I kind of feel like I'm not taking advantage of what it is.