Projectors: Yes or no?

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: Projectors: Yes or no?

Post by Anapan »

Ohmygod! You got one?
That's like the holy grail of videogame outputs! I don't care what sound it makes, in fact that makes it cooler. Like Ash starting up his chainsaw arm to cut down the zombies. Can I come over and play games at your place?

I got one on the smaller side. A Pico projector, but a Laser one. It's a Microvision ShowWX+ HDMI. It's not worth the asking price, but the technology was supposed to be in the last generation of smartphones. It projects a decently bright letter (8.5"x11") picture in full daylight. In the dark it's done okay at 80+ inches on a white sheet thumbtacked to the wall. One thing it has going for it is at it's max resolution of WVGA 480P it has for-real scanlines. Showing 640x480 games it really does everything CRT can do, tho with some random laser reflection noise.

Still drooling over the CRT projector...
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

I have owned two, but got rid of both. One I sold to another CRT fan, the other I trashed since it was beyond repair. I took a class on servicing them back in the late 90s and had help from people I know in TV engineering and broadcasting try to fix the thing, but it was gone. CRT projectors are awesome IF you have the time and knowhow to work on them. At minimum, they require maintenance on a monthly cycle if you are turning them on and off. If you just leave it on, they will last up to 9 years (as seen at NASA). I got tired of the monthly realigning of tubes and constant soldering I ended up having to do.

That said, I have been interested in getting a set of newly refubished one from Curt Palme (worlds foremost expert). Specifically Sony 1270, just for gaming. They would be about $1k shipped for the pair but then I realize that for 1k I can almost get a laser projector off amazon.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Playing games on a projector is fun. This is how I spent some of my Christmas break whilst visiting my girlfriends family:

The projector is pretty decent quality I think, but I don't know the specifics. Here's a lovely picture of it anyway.

chuckster
32-bit

Post by chuckster »

I'd love to see a G90 or the equivalent JVC or NEC projector in action. Do any of these new high-end laser projectors (or whatever they're using now) compare to the old CRT tech?
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

I have only seen a few laser projectors in person, a couple of the sub 10 lumen cheapo crappy ones, and the Panasonic LS10000. The Panasonic, in 4k, was like seeing the G90 setup properly for the first time. It was simply stunning. But it was retailing for 100k back then, now it is $7500.