Fried Sega Saturn, PLEASE HELP!

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
fredthezombie
24-bit

Fried Sega Saturn, PLEASE HELP!

Post by fredthezombie »

So the other day I took my Sega Saturn to a friends house plugged it in, turned it on, and it started smoking. I unplugged everything of course, and thats when my friend conveniently remembered that the outlet I used was bad. After waiting awhile I plugged it into a different outlet and to my surprise it seemed to work fine. But as I soon found out, it started have major difficulties reading from the disc and the drive spinning at all. I am assuming my Once trusty Saturn is now toast, any ideas if I replaced the power supply or disc drive could my Saturn be saved? I’d straight out buy a different one but the one I have has a mod chip in it. Could I just take the chip out and put it in a different Saturn?
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Re: Fried Sega Saturn, PLEASE HELP!

Post by Jmustang1968 »

I am thinking you probably blew a fuse.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

If I remember correctly, the PSUs on the Saturns are swappable. But replacing a blow fuse would be just as easy, if you know how to use a soldering iron.
fredthezombie
24-bit

Post by fredthezombie »

fastbilly1 wrote:If I remember correctly, the PSUs on the Saturns are swappable. But replacing a blow fuse would be just as easy, if you know how to use a soldering iron.
So Replacing a fuse is great and all but even if I fix the power supply do you think that would fix the disc drive reading? I can still use the system but since I blew the supposed fuse the disc drive is having issues.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Your disc drive might not be getting enough power. Enough to spin but not enough for the laser. Break out the multimeter and get some readings.
fredthezombie
24-bit

Post by fredthezombie »

Update: Saturn has been fixed! A capacitor was blown, after replacing it the Saturn once again works great. Thanks for the suggestions guys!