New house is built and media room is done!! ADDED VIDEO

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
8bit
Next-Gen

Re: New house is built and media room is done!!

Post by 8bit »

Very nice space man! I especially like the arcade and theater setup!
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

kingdomheights777 wrote:
fastbilly1 wrote:I love that you have the screen coming down over the TV. People laughed at me when I first starting doing it, but it gives you the best of both worlds. What gear are you running?

Slick setup and nice collection of G1 transformers. Wheeljack with the fenders is just cool, do you have his gun and missiles?

I just read through your post on your house and room, its looking great. You seem much more of a do it yourself-er than i am , which i am envious of lol

Thanks chief. I will pass on to you the piece of wisdom that got me into that mentality. If you screw up, it is ok. So yeah your first few pieces may look like crap, but who cares, no one is a master from the get go. Dont let fear paralyze you from trying something new - but dont go into debt because of your hobbies.

And the biggest trick to woodworking, you do not need all the fancy tools. 90% of my cutting is done with a sliding miter saw and a jigsaw. The table saw and circular saw are mostly used to get things down to size. Mjmjr25 will back me up on this.

But back on topic, your layout is awesome and that sound system must boom. Thanks to you, my wife greenlit a better system for hanging our screen, so soon I will have one of my projectors setup at all times.

What do you play on the Guitar? I mean you are obviously a professional or super hobbyist.
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

8bit wrote:Very nice space man! I especially like the arcade and theater setup!

Yep. The theater setup looks really slick and easy to do. So many of them look overwhelming (and costly) but yours is manageable and something I might actually be able to convince my wife to let me do.

I may have missed it in the thread - for the "tiers", where the one couch is higher than the others - did you build that or was it already there? If so, what did you use - just some 2 by's and plywood and carpet over, or...?
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

mjmjr25 wrote:

Yep. The theater setup looks really slick and easy to do. So many of them look overwhelming (and costly) but yours is manageable and something I might actually be able to convince my wife to let me do.

I may have missed it in the thread - for the "tiers", where the one couch is higher than the others - did you build that or was it already there? If so, what did you use - just some 2 by's and plywood and carpet over, or...?

Most people use 1x10s at 4 inch increments braced like a deck with 1/2 or 3/4inch sheet for the top. You could stack 2x4s and make it pretty cheaply though. Not super expensive, but really handy when you have people over for a movie night. I have some 1930s theater chairs I am going to mount on one that I can roll into place when needed.
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

No one will understand how significant this is - but I have approval to do this from my wife. This will be done by Christmas w/the couches and surround being family presents. I am excite.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Stadium seating for a church youth room is one of the first major woodworking projects I got to manage. It takes about a four hours for construction if you have a good mitersaw, but glue drying takes several days - first wood, second the carpet. I highly recommend using a sound dampening fabric, but knowing you, you are going to be drawers in it or somehow add storage to it.
kingdomheights777
128-bit

Post by kingdomheights777 »

fastbilly1 wrote:
kingdomheights777 wrote:
fastbilly1 wrote:
What do you play on the Guitar? I mean you are obviously a professional or super hobbyist.

Yeah I used to play lead guitar and tour with a Christian rock band called Waiting for Isaac..
once my first kid came along i had to hang it up.
Now i just play in church, and the random Rock and Roll show here in my home town ever year ..each year is a different theme.

Here is my youtube channel...lots of old live performances and new ones and really really old ones lol
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZYmIN ... r0htbuON7g
kingdomheights777
128-bit

mjmjr25 wrote:

I had my carpenter while building the house , build these for me. I also had him insulate the inside of the platform to keep the boominess down. it feels like your walking on a slab of concrete.
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

It looks like the carpeting is "wrap-around" the pieces. Are they moveable?

Also - would you mind getting me the height - The height looks just about right and what i'll plan to do. Also - for the people in the back row - is there enough foot space? Can the back couch recline fully (assuming it does recline).

Fast is right - i'll not only want to use the innards for storage, but i'll have to. The area this is going - i'll need to remove an existing cube I built to house our Legos.

Because this requires no stain or polyurethane - i'll be doing the work this weekend and i'm having couches delivered on 12.23.

Also - very cool on the guitar playing at church. I wish our church had that going on - we are a very old congregation. We have a choir but no instruments. Occasionally they'll ask one of my kids to play clarinet or piano - but I think an electric guitar would be a Caveman Lawyer feel for our older folks.
kingdomheights777
128-bit

mjmjr25 wrote:It looks like the carpeting is "wrap-around" the pieces. Are they moveable?

Also - would you mind getting me the height - The height looks just about right and what i'll plan to do. Also - for the people in the back row - is there enough foot space? Can the back couch recline fully (assuming it does recline).

Fast is right - i'll not only want to use the innards for storage, but i'll have to. The area this is going - i'll need to remove an existing cube I built to house our Legos.

Because this requires no stain or polyurethane - i'll be doing the work this weekend and i'm having couches delivered on 12.23.

Also - very cool on the guitar playing at church. I wish our church had that going on - we are a very old congregation. We have a choir but no instruments. Occasionally they'll ask one of my kids to play clarinet or piano - but I think an electric guitar would be a Caveman Lawyer feel for our older folks.

They aren't moveable, they had to wrap them for some reason, but they are glued to the wood.

The rear can recline, but i have buttkickers installed in the rear and it makes it hard to recline due to the placement of the kicker.
The front couch can recline also and not hinder the rear couch.