Need help deciding between Arcade Monitor or Sony PVM.

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
zaid

Need help deciding between Arcade Monitor or Sony PVM.

Post by zaid »

Been having a difficult time trying to find a PVM, and was wondering if its worth it hooking up my retro consoles to a arcade monitor instead, since there easier to find and possible to get new. If so what would I need?
Bradtemple87
Next-Gen

Re: Need help deciding between Arcade Monitor or Sony PVM.

Post by Bradtemple87 »

The pvm monitors are easier from a connection standpoint, and they also work with arcade supergun setups if that interests you.

Make sure to check local eBay auctions and Craigslist regularly.
MY Sale/Trade Thread
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27739
zaid

Post by zaid »

Ahh, yeah I was thinking that since they dont really have any straight connections like a pvm does. Yeah been checking both regularly, just for a quick reference how much do they go for now a days? So the great pvm seach continues lol. Thanks again.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

PVM prices vary wildly. There is a lot of potential to get one super cheap because most people consider all CRTs worthless. However, if the person selling knows that they are desirable to retro gamers, they will almost certainly charge more.

In addition to eBay and Craigslist, also contact any electronics recycling companies near you.

Good luck in your search! It took me several years to acquire my two PVMs but I was looking for 25"+ models. If you are willing to get one that is 20" or smaller, you will find a lot more.
zaid

Post by zaid »

Awesome thanks, I totally didnt think about the recycling company, ill defintally have to look into that. Yeah Ill defintally settle for something between the common sizes of 14 to 20 Iam leaning more towards a 20 though. Thanks again!
Bradtemple87
Next-Gen

Post by Bradtemple87 »

20" size is perfect, I have two m4 variations

One is grey and one is the medical white
MY Sale/Trade Thread
zaid

Post by zaid »

Awesome! How long did it take you find them? I got my eye currently on 2 on ebay, which kinda sucks cause Iam a little hesitant since there not local so I go no way to really test before I buy, so I kinda want to hold out :? Decisions Decisions :?
Bradtemple87
Next-Gen

Post by Bradtemple87 »

I found both of these through eBay sellers that happened to be local. I sold a 14" one I found on Craigslist to a local buddy.

Be patient and look regularly.
MY Sale/Trade Thread
zaid

Post by zaid »

Yup patience is a virtue lol took me like 4 or 5 months to get my lathe so Iam no stranger to that. Thanks for the tips, the search continues :mrgreen:
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Most PVMs are too small for gaming from the couch. Good as a secondary monitor for link play, but for one player a larger screen would be much better. Get a Sony Wega TV CRT 27 to 36 inch for a much better size for the retro consoles. The WEGA series have a beautiful flat tube design, have clean sharp video and plenty of inputs.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425